Looking for the wife

ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Mrs C has decided to try a half around September time. She's not fast, probably looking around 2:30 - 2:45, doesn't like crowds, doesn't want to run in a town, and isn't good with lots of ascent. Lives in West Berkshire.

Anyone got any knowledge or reccomendation of a small event around that time that has a greater than 3hr cut off, is a small field, is in the country/off road, flattish to undulating, within about 70m of West Berkshire?

Thanks very much

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming

Comments

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

bump

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Could try the Grand Union half marathon, run by Purple Patch. It's usually early November, though. Along the canal from Uxbridge to Watford or reverse, depending on year. Pretty flat, beginner-friendly.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Cheers Muttley

• Cricklade has a half marathon on october 7th its a field of 500 people not crowded only a cheer at the start and finish and country lanes for you to pootle along at your own pace cut off time 3 to 3 half hours great medal and only £11 entry....cricklade by the way is 7 miles north of swindon on the A419 just off M4

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Thanks Nick, for my safety and in hoping to live a long life I may not take your suggestion image

Yvonne, that sounds good, thanks. I'm doing SNOD a couple of weeks later so that'll be good for me too, use it a short lsr!

• I've entered the New Forest 1/2 marathon at the end of September.  Nice and rural, not too hilly and close enough for you....  I live in Reading so it's only 1 hr away from us.

There are also some great pubs to sit and relax in afterwards.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Thanks Liz. I'm sure the pub idea will swing it, as long as they do wine by the bucket?

• Cricklade half starts at the school but finishes at the leisure centre which has its own bar that sells beverages of the alcoholic variety too.. failing that we have 6 pubs in our litttle high st image you can enter on the RW website too

• Sunday 23rd September is the 2nd Tonbridge Half Chimney, my wife ran it last year & loved it! Fairly undulating course all on quiet country roads.

•  Mick Mick ✭✭✭

7th Oct - Clarendon half marathon (and full).
    Meets most of the crieria - except maybe the flat bit. There may be 1 or 2 slopes.

• Maidenhead Half is 16th September.

I didn't do it last year (the first one) but a bit of research tells me that it's practically pancake flat - and whilst it starts and finishes in the town centre it seems to take in a fair bit that's not to 'towny' if your wife isn't keen on that. It looks like it heads out to Cookham, Bray etc and includes a stretch along the Thames. There was around 1700 finishers last year I think.

A Google search found the following link, which should give you a bit more of an idea, especially if you select the satellite view on the map.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/s/routes/view/run-jog-map/maidenhead/36312796

I was particularly keen to note that the scale for the elevation is only 10 metres!!!

I hope you find something good and that your wife enjoys it image

• Hey chimney will you let us know which half your wife went for in the end?