Liverpool Half Marathon 2013

Reading through the Event Rating comments for the 2012 event I would advise that the race is likely to have a new start / finish area at the Pier Head. This was proposed for 2012 but due to building work in the finish area it was not possible. Neither was it possible to arrange starting pens this year due to the physical restrictions of the roadway. The would have been access only from one side if pens were introduced.

Whilst I appreciate the 'constructive criticism' I would always advise that there is normally a reason why things don't (or can't) happen. This is why we have a de-brief and development plan in place for each of our events.

Since 2009 when I managed to bring the event back into the city I would argue the event has improved significantly and this development process will continue.

The race limit will be set at 7,500 due to physical restrictions along some parts of the course and entries will open on Friday, 4th May.

There will be a reduced entry fee of £2 until the end of July.

Comments

• Excellent stuff Mr Rothwell. Its a great race.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Alan When I saw in the email it was £2 I thought it was a typo...is it really £2?

• Reduced by... £2 to £26 and £28!! After which it will revert to £28 / £30 until the end of November. Between December and until the entries are sold out it will be £32 and £34. This is to try and secure entries at an earlier date so we can purchase all supplies and services accordingly. We have too many people turning up the week before looking to enter and it is becoming increasingly difficult to manage as we are guessing how many people will or won't enter. It about providing a better level of service for all concerned.
  • I'm in.
    It's illegal to run this race without me image
  • Bumping this to the top of the pile 'cos this is my favourite race ( read that as 'one and only so far' , but that's because it's my favourite)  of 2012.

Looking forward to next year's already.

• I'll be entering this on payday, it's on my birthday so can't miss this one. What a way to celebrate being 47.

• I will chase you. Life couldn't be more exciting, could it? image

• degsy-m-degsy-m- ✭✭✭
    Will be signing up for this later in the year. Love this race image
  • Hi Alan, completed womens 10k yesterday,maybe not relevant to your thread but wanted to say, have completed this race for many a year, i found quite a considerable drop in numbers? Also a lot of women were not pleased with t shirts at finish, sizing seemed to be a problem, for us ladies running and training we like room in our shirts, the cadets/scouts did a great job of handing them out and trying to answer why they were so small!!! My size large didnt even fit my neice who is rather skinny.. maybe a thought for next year...or did the men take all the bigger sizes??

• The men had their own shirts. The women's T shirts were a women fit. I'll just order standard sizes in the future and wait for the complaints from the smaller end that they were too big. The race IS diminishing in size and it is possible it won't happen next year as too many ladies want to run the Race For Life events.

All the other events are increasing in size each year except the Women's 10K. I have tried to introduce a 5K and this year and attract male runners to the day but it has made little difference.

Just to add that if you look at the thread after the Tunnel 10K there will be the same complaints about T shirts not fitting. Despite the fact we order sizes indicated on the entry form people tend to take which ever one fits them on the day. I'm afraid it's a problem we are unlike,y to solve.

• I was next to the T shirt distribution area. People were coming up and asking for them to be held up and were assessing which one they wanted, which meant that they were paying NO attention to what they'd requested and were simply changing their mind on the day. It's bloody annoying. Just move through and pick up the one you asked for! It's not a Savile Row suit!

It would be an absolute tragedy if the women's 10k were to disappear but its a case of "if you don't run it, it won't be there next time". I started with RfL and so I would never disrespect it but for a lot of women it really IS a walk in the park. The 10k is the next logical step. I did the women's 10k because I felt comfortable with it and I progressed through the ranks to marathon from there. But I understand that if it isn't viable, it's not worth continuing. And THEN you'll get complaints from women wondering what happened to it! image

• Remenber Woolworths!! Everybody loved the idea of it but nobody shopped there... and what happened?

• I think next week I'll write a review of the changes to the HM course and perhaps do a video of the course (like we did for the marathon). That way everyone can see the course before they do it.

Will also draft a review about the future of the Women's 10K.

• Hi, I am trying to enter online for the half marathon but there is only the printable entry form there? I don't have a printer and like the ease of online entry! With the facility be avaliable?
  • flipping heck Sharon, you are keen!

Am guessing it just isn't up and running yet - i have entered on-line for past 2 years no worries, but just bumping you to the top so someone who really knows anything about this can answer you

• Did the half marathon this year and looking forward to preparing a bit more for next years!! Obviously men and women got the same t shirt at this years event. Wouldn't have minded had it not been for the footprint I found on my t shirt (hasn't fully come out in the wash image ) Only discovered once I went through my race goodies on the way home by which time it was too late to do much about it. Felt a bit gutted to complete half marathon but can't really wear the celebration t shirt!!

• I see the discounted entry fee is proving very popular already!

• Re womens 10k - it would be a shame if this event folded, its has been going for so long. I too have outgrown race for life (i came 4th last time) it was so lonely at the front. But the womens 10k is one of the first races i did in my 20s.. I hope it can be saved.
  • What date is it on please anyone ?

• Old Timer - 17th March. Event details are on www.runliverpool.org.uk

Mish1 - the Women's 10K can only be saved if more women actually take part. With less than 700 finishers this year it is simply not sustainable.

• Is it worth a mass email to find out WHY previous runners have stopped doing it? It's not the organisation. That was spot on.

I'd be interested to know what their reasons are.

• Two reasons... RFL and the fact that it doesn't go down Aigburth Road.

The old course can't be used because it traps too many residents in between Ullet Road, Aigburth Road and Aigburth Drive alongside the park. They simply can't get in or out whilst the race is on.

Too many locals are too familiar with Sefton Park and train there or run there most of the time and consequently don't really want to race there despite the fact the event is in a great environment and does use the surrounding roads.

• RFL is suffering now though too......image

• We have the Starlight walk for women that raises money for St Rocco's Hospice this weekend. It goes on through the night and I know quite a few who want sponsporship for it. Now I don't want to disrespect them or the cause but WALKING with your mates all night is not exactly taxing in comparison to running a marathon and these same said people are not what you would call forthcoming with their cash for a reall challenge. RFL should be encouraging those women to run, not walk and then we could get them to progress to the next level with the women's 10K. But they think it's a bridge too far because they didn't have to train to walk a 5k image

• Interesting to read the Barrow 10 cancellation thread which brings sharply into focus the wider commercial implications of just how much road race events cost to deliver. clearly the Barrow Boys had attempted to to put on a 'low cost' event and it simply isn't possible any longer.

I think the next time I get a 'where does all the money go' enquiry I will forward them to the Barrow Runners cancellation statement.

• I'm getting increasingly bored of people whining abut the cost of running events. I test drove a very nice car at the weekend, which costs ??100,000 new.

I can't afford ??100k for a car so I didn't buy it. But equally I didn't complain to the dealer that it was too expensive and inform him I can get a Ford Focus for ten grand.

It is what it is.
  • Now why when I put a pound sign in has the stupid computer changed them to a pair of question marks?
  • It's anxiety... your probably thinking about the Tunnel 10K.