Tuesday 15th May

"Poor old Johnnie Ray, sounded sad upon the radio."

10k recovery this morning, weather changed five times in that time, from sun to hail to whipping wind to rain to sun.

What events have you all got coming up? Still deciding on Eyam this Sunday.

Comments

• Morning. Glad they've fixed the site.

sevendaughters - I had the same on my dog walk. Just wish it would sort itself out - and an unseasonal heatwave next week would be nice image I have a local 10k on the 27th though doubt I'll be racing it unless things improve significantly, it's near enough to run to and from and supports a local club so I shall participate if nothing else. Other than that it depends on how soon I can get back into training, plans for this season are now rather disrupted which has a knock on for next year too.

NZC - seems strange to think of you in x-country season when we are still seeing quite wintery weather.

Alex - you'll be surprised how quickly you'lll build your bike miles and how much time you can take off your bike split just by riding more. Is it another sprint this weekend?

What:            nothing.
    Why:             RHR is now up again (highest since pre-VLM illness)
    Last hard:      not sinking into a pit of despair
    Last rest:       far too much

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hello and good morning!
    yes to the lyric, like the band but as the years roll on I like this track less and less

Well they couldnt find anyone else to do the 3,000m steeplechase last night (did I put 300m ? I wish!!) so gave it a go. Boy those barriers are high, 3ft and 35 of them. By 1600m I was wishing it was all over, and counting down the barriers from 10-1 helped. think I was 12m45s, 7th out of 13 so not a disaster, and despite what my kids (& wife) thought, I didnt end up in A&E. Then did the triple jump, used to do that fairly regularly but not advisable after the 'chase. Nowhere near a pb from last year, but a couple of jumps that gained some points.
    Today - club night , allegedly speedwork, but will see how the legs feel. Will ease off for the remainder of the week, have a 10mile race sunday.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

not too shabby, Dustin! Nice work image

LMH: doesn't sound very encouraging. A bunch of people from work (at least 5 that I know) have been hit by a strange virus that starts with a horrible sore throat and develops into all sorts of nasty things from there - sinusitis, bronchitis, tonsilitis etc.. I wonder if you picked up a strain like that. It seems to take ages to clear. Some people have been running around with it for 3 weeks now image

what: 1k reps
    why: speedwork day
    last hard: need you ask?
    last rest 10/5
    lyrics: yes

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Seven daughters great parkrun and long run

Stickless great long run.

LMH sorry to hear you're still ill. 

Dustin  good work last night.

Well weekend went ok.  I was very up and down, but I got through it and didn't have to leave the ceromony and my recital went ok too.  Meal was amazing though!  Back to real life now and still feeling the effects of Belfast.  Feeling very tired, throat is sore and a little dizzy at times.  Went to running club last night and breathing was ok, but legs could definitely feel it!  Rest today and then 2 squash matches Wed and Thurs.

Alex how are you feeling about the tri at the weekend?

Have a good evening all.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

7daughters, I just entered a  sprint tri, blackwater in sept

lmh, hope it all settles for you soon

dustin, huge praise, I looked at them jumps when I was at the track last night!

emzap well done with the weekend

track went well last night considering the lack of running not far off the times I did at the start of April so I am happy

what: swim and some stretches later

why: legs are tired from lunges track and all sorts!

last hard: last night

last easy: sat

have a good evening all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Sorry I am late posting yesterday's lyrics: looking at the small number of posts today I wasn't the only one who couldn't get on the forum  this morning. Anyway, yesterday's lyrics were "Blue Moon", sung by many performers over the years, but particularly on Sunday by the fans of a Premiership football team in sky blue.

What: will be 6 x 10 to 12 seconds running after warming up by walking
    Why: new instruction from phys

Dustin:  steeplechase used to be my main event, but I know I couldn't get over even one of the barriers nowadays, even if Achilles permitted. I hope the only barrier you put your foot on was the water!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Wow, steeplechasers and cross country. Al a bit savage for me, and then Stickless mentioning LAMM, and I've just twigged that MM means Mountain Marathon. I am a wimp.
    alex_h, you must live close to me if you cycle across the Severn Bridge. I may be able to do it myself on Saturday, if plans come to fruition. I live in Gloucester so it will be a 65 mile outing.

This evening: storm dodging. We've had sun, chill wind, stair rod showers, hail drifts and thunder. Beware plagues of locusts.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Hail here at present! Just about to go for my walk/"run".

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Evening

Couldn't get on earlier at normal time.

What:4.5M Steady

Why;Recovery run.

Catch up later.

Lyrics:A yes.

• Dustin - I can't imagine getting over one of those hurdles let alone 35! You are a real club man. I hope they appreciate you.

emzap - glad the weekend went ok. Learn from my mistake and back off a bit if you're not 100% post-marathon.

Alehouse - I was hailed on walking the dog this afternoon, not pleasant.

Wabo - is the calf all ok now?

Chickadeee - maybe my immune system isn't doing too badly then!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Never mind the steeple chase (although impressive) and cross country, but triple jump!?!  Very impressive Dustin.

Equally impressive has been my Achilles.  Although not completely right, it felt sufficiently OK to have a go at the 10K I'd entered on Sunday.  Got round without problems, allbeit rather slowly (43:52), then track Monday and threshold run today.  Still OK - I might even stop being grumpy at this rate...

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Evening all,

7D - I have another tri this weekend. Good luck if you decide on Eyam
    Alehouse - Hope your walk/run went OK and the hail kept away.
    Dustin - Great work!! Sounds hideous to me!!!image
    Wabo - Is it your first tri?
    Chicka - how was speedwork?
    Blisters - I live in Chepstow, so not too far as the crow flies. If you do the Severn Bridge then don't hit the metal ramps at speed on the aero bars! Can get a bit hairy!image

LMH - Yep, another sprint. 750m OW swim/30k Bike (ugh)/5k run. I think the bike is relatively flat on this course...I've been practicing on the aero bars so hoping to make use of them.
    Emzap - Glad the weekend went OK. Not feeling too bad about the tri and am looking forward to it...just hope this sore throat goes away tomorrow!

What: Rest
    Why: Sore throat/blocked nose and been to London and back.
    Last Hard: 9 days?
    Last rest: today
    Lyrics: familiar

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Dustin - well done on the steeplechase and the triplejump - you must be flexible! I doubt that I could go over or under the steeplechase. Luckily these days there aren't many if any jumps in our x-country - pretty tame really.

Alehouse - good luck.

40 mins - nice 10km time.

LMH - hope you feel better soon.

Wabo - you must be pleased that you can return to the track and find that you haven't lost too much speed.

What: just 3 miles for me, with Mae - got wet!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

lmh, calf is really good now, I only had one physio appointment did all he said and voila! he is so good.

alex h, no it will be about the 4th I think, all sprint and pool. Thats all I really fancy tbh.

nzc, I was pretty chuffed, mind you there wasn't much speed! lol Getting there though, thanks

40 mins thats all good news

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

pretty sure i know lyrics

had to give swim a miss, had some food doctor bulgar wheat and quinoa, tummy is in shock....

• Dustin: Well don eon track .

alehouse; Thought you'd be in a good mood this week/rest of summer. A Champion Oneimage

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Birkmyre: (sadly) I'm not a blue!
    Beautiful weather tonight...no sooner had I said it was hailing than the sun came out. However my short little gentle running has not been kind to the Achilles, and it is somewhat painful: the phys did say though that the big test is how it feel sin the morning.

Forgot to say that I believe I know the lyrics.

• 40 mins, that's a pretty good 10k time and a darned sight faster than you'll see from this corner for a while.
    NZC, we tend to forget that there's a lot of greenery in NZ, and the green comes from rain.
    Good luck to those just returning from injury.