Start times - men/women

BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I don't know if this applies to longer distances (I know it doesn't for mass starts in IM distance), but for the sprint triathlons I've entered/looked into, the men always start before the women. Why? It always seems that it's the ladies that have to endure the heat of the day, whilst the gents can start in the nice cool morning air. 

Just wondering...

Comments

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

KK sums it up nicely - it's to stop the blokes intimidating the ladies as they go screaming past on their bikes (generally).  let the fellas get their battles out of the way without the ladies having to worry about a scrap with the blokes

and usually us old blokes go in the same wave as the ladies which I don't mind as it gives me a few nice arses to chase down on the bike....image

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I did a sprint tri in Stratford upon Avon on Sunday. The set up there is that the fastest men start from 9am. The women start from slowest first, so the fastest women don't start until nearly midday. 

For example, the same course last October - it was around 30C by midday and was hellish going into the run. Pretty much all of the men - even the slower ones - had finished by then. It just seems to me to be in favour of the guys. 

• At Dorney Lake SuperSprint this weekend, the ladies slip in between the old men and the men having the mid-life crises (or is it crisii?) like me......which means if I end up staring at arses like FB's, I know I've over cooked the big leg! image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

STB - it's not to favour the guys at all - it's practicality in making sure that the race is safe for everyone.

generally speaking the fellas are quicker in all disciplines so if you had them starting behind the ladies, then it's a recipe for mayhem with them coming through as the lads don't take prisoners, and ladies don't like the intimidation of that.  by putting the ladies last, it prevents conflict areas.

in OW events if you have decent time margins between waves, and good wide routes for overtaking it's not so bad and some events do have the ladies going off first

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    RafikiD wrote (see)

At Dorney Lake SuperSprint this weekend, the ladies slip in between the old men and the men having the mid-life crises (or is it crisii?) like me......which means if I end up staring at arses like FB's, I know I've over cooked the big leg! image

'over cooked the big leg' is that a euphemism for getting a hard on? image

Alas just a typo - sorry to disappoint image