What possessed you?

Comments

• http://www.energypics.co.uk/index.html

Quite a good link for Bolton IM course.

Got me thinking again now. Would be nice to do the branded one. For some reason i always thought the swim was in the sea , doh. My birthday is in July, Could be a 45th birthday present next year image
  • Just had a look at that site SD.

Easy peasy 

• Glorious day here, perfect for my return to cycling.  Will head out after lunch.  Keep your fingers crossed that I make it back in one piece!

• Fingers crossed image

It is glorious here too, to damned warm though, just got back from a 30 minute run, thought it was quite slow, but turns out that it was the fastest I hve done that course. 

But omg am I sweating now, feels like I won't stop sweating for a couple of days, bring back the rain image

One shower done, I predict it will take at least another one to stop me sweating

• "bring back the rain"

Wash your mouth out with Mellow Birds.

Not the cleaning properties of soap, but much more of a punishment.

• Finally sunny here! Not sunny at 5am, cold dank and misty!

So taper week.... Swim this am

Stats for those bothered, total distance 2600m 1h04'40" (fink #2)

Technique drills 800m (16x50m) - 28'07

Swimming 1800m ( 1 x 300m WU, 6 x 150m, 2 x 200m, 1 x 200 CD) - 36'33"

Have individual splits all sorts found a nice little lap tracker app and use my waterproof case and it emails me all the data after each set image #howbleedinanal

Other thread favouring welsh, shas79 keen on a UK IM too!
  • I've done it - I've entered Lanza.....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• No going back now Raf. Can we all come and get drunk and sunburned while cheering you on?

Just back from my confidence re-building spin.  Short (9 miles) and slow, and spent a lot of it playing with the brakes to reassure myself I wasn't going to lose the back end or launch myself over the bars! Also got used to the gears again with a couple of wee hills. Still a bit nervous of steep downhills and sharp corners, but all in all it was good. When I got off I realised I was smiling,which must be a good sign. 

• Yep, gotta do it now I've paid - I'm Scottish afterall!! And the more drunken cheers the better!!

Glad the ride went OK - just take it sdteady and you'll be back in fine form before you uknow it!

• Excellent.  As a fellow Scot, you'll appreciate the drunkenness and sunburn.

• gastank wrote (see)
    Finally sunny here! Not sunny at 5am, cold dank and misty!

So taper week.... Swim this am

Stats for those bothered, total distance 2600m 1h04'40" (fink #2)

Technique drills 800m (16x50m) - 28'07
    Swimming 1800m ( 1 x 300m WU, 6 x 150m, 2 x 200m, 1 x 200 CD) - 36'33"

Have individual splits all sorts found a nice little lap tracker app and use my waterproof case and it emails me all the data after each set image #howbleedinanal

Other thread favouring welsh, shas79 keen on a UK IM too!

Are you using a GPS or just know the distance and you use a lap button?  I have a Garmin 910 and it tends to be high on my swim distances.  For example, I swam 2400 meters this morning and the watch read 2950.

• Nurse the hills scare a lot of people personally I ride the brakes every time. image

• IY- Simple concept- iPhone (which I use for just about every thing) cheap app called tap-a-lap made for track running work and ??10 waterproof iPhone case

I then just tell phone how long "track" is i.e typically 40m or 50m (2 lengths of either 20m or 25m pool) and every time I get back to start end I tap the big button image At the end of each set I say done and it gives me the options to email (all integrated so two button clicks and it's in my inbox) and or simultaneously post to a plethora of social networks incl runkeeper which I use

If it wasn't for drills/multiple sets (12 this morning who wants that many individual runkeeper entries?!?)I would use this to post direct to runkeeper - but will use that facility on fink workouts 5 & 11 which are straight swims of 100 and 120 laps respectively

I want to buy either the garmin 910xt or the TDF Polar RCX5

BUT I just can't get my head around buying even more technology

Going to have to bite the bullet at some point though

RAF!!!! image you did it.... Well done, quite jealous, sorry I can't be there with you mate

Nurse - well done on your ride I'm glad it went without incident
  • Yeh - not sure if tis sunk in yet!!

On the subject of the Garmin 910 - I was going to get one, but I'm not sure I get it. OK I have the 405 for the run training. I have a Catseye on the bike for data. I know how long my pool is and there's a clock on the wall. The transition function on the 910 is only really relevant for races - so??? Am I missing something???

• RafikiD wrote (see)

Yeh - not sure if tis sunk in yet!!

On the subject of the Garmin 910 - I was going to get one, but I'm not sure I get it. OK I have the 405 for the run training. I have a Catseye on the bike for data. I know how long my pool is and there's a clock on the wall. The transition function on the 910 is only really relevant for races - so??? Am I missing something???

If you're a data geek like me, it wirelessly updates to the Garmin Connect site and then syncs with my Daily Mile account.

• yeh, my 405 does that. And I did think about the SwimMate Pro which does the same for pool sessions. I must confess I coulod never see the point of the 405 until I bought one - now I never run without it!

• I came from nothing so easier call for me. If I had a 405, would have been harder.
  • Raf - In your position I deffo wouldn't get one... in my case

• I don't have a HRM and need one for Fink
    • I don't have a GPS running watch
    • I don't have a cycle computer

So in my case it gives me something smaller than the iPhone to carry around and saves me having to buy a HRM and Bike mount for it... which I could do but i'm probably going to spend half the money of a 910 or RCX5 to get the iPhone setup to do all.... and it won't handle transitions, which you will use outside of races, since you will be doing bricks and practicing - believe me I wish I could switch between activties on the fly on the iPhone but you can't, on both watches you can and I think both record the transition time as well (certainly the case for the 910 not sure for the RCX5)

On the plus side the RCX5 is lightweight thin and comes in black and yellow and measures HR in the pool downside doesn't come with any fancy swim stats, GPS is a separate pod

/members/images/676950/Gallery/gI_103555_Polar_RCX5_TDF_Premium_Bundle.jpg

• I have a sportcount Chrono 100 I use for the pool. Fits on my finger, with a button I press with my thumb each lap.

• Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

I have a sportcount Chrono 100 I use for the pool. Fits on my finger, with a button I press with my thumb each lap.

I like the sound of that, especially as I always lose count in the pool.
    More shopping. What a chore 

• Cake wrote (see)

Nurse the hills scare a lot of people personally I ride the brakes every time. image

Thanks for sharing that.  Always good to know you're not alone.

• Just been for a quick dip, and I have no idea what was going on with my swimming today.

For a few lengths I could be tempted to use the word "gliding"?  And I could breathe. Not even every 4, as usual, but every 6

What's that all about?.

• Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

Just been for a quick dip, and I have no idea what was going on with my swimming today.

For a few lengths I could be tempted to use the word "gliding"?  And I could breathe. Not even every 4, as usual, but every 6

What's that all about?.

It's called a breakthrough! Congratulations!  All those prior drills are paying off.

• Bugger every six, wow, did u change anything? Must read more fink and type less....

5k run today, 26c very warm - 26'21"

Oh an I'm decided IMUK baby image just hope dates remain consistent with this year
  • I'm with you, now i know i could complete the open water swim distance in the time limit i'm happy to pay the extra & go for it with IMUK.

Rock n roll image

Well done on the swimming NR. Feels good when when you feel the glide. I still feel most comfortable with a breath after 2 strokes. Have started trying to do bilateral breathing on every third.

Finks book and the drills. Are most pools ok with you using fins, paddles etc. I havent seen anyone doing that at my local baths. Thats not to say they dont.
  • Morning chaps

A breakthrough indeed IY!

Gastank, rather you than me running in that heat, good effort. It's a bit of a worry for IM day, but the chances of a hot, sunny day in England in July are surely fairly remote. With the swim, I just tried my hardest to relax, take it easy, and focus on how it was feeling rather than speed/distance.  Only did 40 lengths, but they felt like 40 really good ones.

SD my local pool is quite happy with paddles & fins, but I know some don't allow them in open public sessions.  I have tried and tried to do bilateral breathing, and have given up on it.  I spent more time choking than swimming. Good luck with it.

• I'd much rather do the IM when it was warm. Last thing i'd need is gloomy weather bringing me down when i have 17 hours of pain ahead of me.

Got my first century ride on Sunday, looking like a sunny 21 degrees with a light north easterly wind. Really looking forward to it. Just going to poodle round this one and enjoy the ride

• Gastank, I'm convinced that yoga is what has the biggest effect on my swim breathing. Having an awareness of your breathing, and synchronisisng it with the physical effort makes a big difference.

In other news - this afternoon I am being a very naughty nursie.

I am doing absolutely no exercise whatsoever.  I am going to lie in the sun and be soooooooooper lazy image

• NR - nevermind IMUK and heat, bugger that... I have 26.2 miles to run on Sunday in this unforeseen catastrophe!!!! now very concerned....still a great swim though.

I did another fink today, so that's another 100 lengths and 2500m under my belt image

I use fins in my gym pool, along with long sleeved rash vest (creates a little drag), jammers, latex swim hat and my polarised pred flex goggles... all black apart from fins and goggs - i'm like the terminator in the six am OAP rush.. i've been expecting them to moan BUT instead they keep approaching me and asking questions, telling me how smooth my stroke is... bless i'm #coolinthepool image

• Gastank - you do understand the term 'tapper' - now stop exercising and get back to what you're good at - upsetting M...eldy and Schumnks