Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Everyone out enjoying an evenings training ??   

• Back in now M...eldy.

Braved the OW and actually enjoyed it. Good set up down at Salford quays and lots of nutters without wetsuits.

• Yes hopefully will find some time now to get in the lakes!

Back to the pool tomorrow tho .. must check what this months brief is actually !

• I'm doing zero.  Giving everything a few day's rest to see if I can help this achilles thing along.  I'm thinking there isn't much sense in aggravating the problem midweek when a week off the bike might help. 

We have a weekend session orgainised here with my tri club. 

Saturday - An hour long run and back along the beautiful Portstweart beach followed by a 20 minute OW sea swim, and after lunch a long steady bike ride. 

Sunday starts with a pyramid of brick sessions followed by a longish OW sea swim on a different beach with good surf.

I'll jog/walk the runs but I'm really looking forward to the rest.  Company for the bike ride will make a welcome change.

• Sounds idyllic VT  image

• Yesterday:??0415 Feed baby.????0500 Cycle 10 miles to lake.????0600 first ever open water swim (ok).????0645 cycle another 10 miles to work.?? 0800-1600 work.?? 1630 prepare, cook, eat and clear up a for Mrs H birthday.?? 2130 bed (zonked).

Today: 0500 up 14 mile run before work.

Tomorrow: 0630 Gym. Running intervals after work followed by an hour swim before going home around 1930.

Getting tricky fitting it all in!
  • Didn't put those ???? In there...how odd!
  • 18miles on the bike and then a 15min run. Pool in the morning.
  • Slower, I cry before every tri.  Everything on it's own is fine for my brain to deal with, but stick them together and I become a nervous wreck.  There are good reasons though: 1) I will be eaten by a sea / lake / river creature during the swim 2) I will crash on the bike and 3) I will die on the run, or not make it-  which would be altogether more humiliating because at least if I were dead, I wouldn't be around to give a shit.

None of the above have happened, but they will.... one day.

(thinking about it though, Vit last year I think it was both me and Ditchy crying)

• 2 lap ride, 1 run (14/7 miles) RP tomorrow if anyone fancies. 17.30 bottom car park. Make the most of the weather. Dustboy also wants to test out the new full set of ceramic wheel bearings! I'll be going anti clockwise. Will be hot. 

• Rest day, Luv em.image

Forecast for tomorrow and my long ride is 40C & 40MPH winds! Planning on being out the door by 0330 as last week it just got too hot towards the end. Last nights ride was a sandy affair, was still getting sand out of my eyes this morning.

• Thanks for all the birhtday wishes everyone i had a great day image back into work today and travelling so run and hotel pool this evening may do some weights as well time permitting then a nice carbo load at the curry house image
  • Holly, cry? Me?

Er......never!

Well apart from checkpoint two at every sportive....

And maybe a little before IM starts!

Since this is the training thread, I can report 26 mins of training last week, not ideal, but I work in events and we had a biggie, so that's life. Would be happier if I'd done more than one 10 hour week in the build up, race day is going to be loooooooooooong!
  • M...eldy wrote (see)

STIL  image

Pup I think a carb curfew is possible with training as you would be eating a protein based diet after the session and the carbs before?

One thing that we have noticed over the years (and may be more appplicable to some) is that IM training is not a license to eat ...

Yep, that's the theory Meldy - carbarama and protein for brekkie and lunch, train AM & PM, then protein and non starchy veggies only for dinner. It's difficult as I am a carb monster. I wish this training were a license to eat, just once I would like to be able to tell someone I do IMs without them surreptitiously looking at my gut and their faces saying "really? you?" image lol

Am not that fat really, but I just don't look like people's expectations of an ironperson. But then, you go to the race and there's every body shape in the world there, so it shouldn't really matter. Just vanity!

• All those tears!
    Perhaps Holly and Ditchy had already seen how disgusting the lake was for the swim? All those fears about being wolfed down by a pike.... well founded, I reckon.

PUP.... It's only my vanity that keeps me going!

• Think of it as minimising your entry cost per hour, Ditchy.

• muufin top, I noticed you said you went to Salford Quays, I'm heading down there tonight for my first venture in OW. I'm a bit scared, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Bit of a daft question, but do they have changing facilities, or is it a back of the car job?

• The session last night was run by Uswim and I think they also do one on a Saturday morning. They were even doing free intro lessons which looked impressive. Not sure who runs the one tonight.

Last night there was a changing tent and supervised bag storage. Really organised and even flapjakes and a brew at the end.

Best bit of all the water was 14.5 deg image

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

• 14.5 was it heated? image
  • muffin top wrote (see)

Back in now M...eldy.

Braved the OW and actually enjoyed it. Good set up down at Salford quays and lots of nutters without wetsuits.

bburn plodder wrote (see)

muufin top, I noticed you said you went to Salford Quays, I'm heading down there tonight for my first venture in OW. I'm a bit scared, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Bit of a daft question, but do they have changing facilities, or is it a back of the car job?

image ladies very good change will be down there next week I've not had the change to do any OW yet and chaffing at the bit a little.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    bburn plodder wrote (see)

muufin top, I noticed you said you went to Salford Quays, I'm heading down there tonight for my first venture in OW. I'm a bit scared, but I'm sure it will be fine.

*delurks*

Assuming it's the same as last year, they have tents - one for the boys and one for the girls image

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Try not to drink too much of the waterimage

• Training has taken a nose dive and I'm eating everything I can get into me and drinking beer.  Loosing the will to keep at it, thinking I'll have little chance of finishing a 100m run never mind the full 26.2 miles.

Not feeling sorry for myself, nor am I particularly down about it.  I just needed to come to terms with the fact that my injury will not heal itself without rest, so I'm seriously thinking of pulling the plug and targetting something later in the year.

IM Wales is probably beyond my biking ability just yet, so it might be a half IM distance to keep my training distances to a level where my achilles is not overstressed.

Next year I'll climb back on board and probably go with the secondary pirate outing wherever that may be.  Hoping for Vichy image.

• image VT Give yourself a weekend of rest the telly and chill out. If you feel you won't be ready in time there are more inportant things than any race. Hopefully see you at the start line through or poor BBurn will have to talk to me all the way round. image

• Ohhh, VT'd, are you sure???? Perhaps take a week or so and re-evaluate then. You've loads of good training under belt. So I'm sure you could still make it, going off your splendid HIM performance the other week.

You've always been dead supportive of my newbie and often numptie posts on here, I was looking forward to meeting up with you at Outlaw!!
  • Cake, in the short time since I've met you, I can definitely say it would be a pleasure to keep you company on the way round!
  • take your earplugs....image

• BB...tonights OW swim is at the Salfords Watersports Center and there are full changing facilities indoors, have fun.....image   Horse went to the U swim last night (it takes place in the bigger dock) and he said it wasn't too cold.