Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Sale 5m race for me today.  Thankfully it started at 11am so it was in a really hot part of the day image  Was targeting 27.15 or sub 27 stretch.  Warming up i was sweating badly so in the back of my mind it was clear i would have to think on the go regards how hard the heat was going to affect me. Another thing was before christleton last friday i was buzzing, i sort of knew i was going to run well, but in the lead up to this i didnt feel right.  Anyway the gun goes, i  found myself leading the race for the first couple of miles and then my thighs are burning and heavy, the heat was unbearable and i was struggling.  A tipton runner (33m 10k man last week) bounced past and took a 50m lead off me, i was struggling but i was still in second albeit with a crowd on my shoulder.  I figured if the heat is killing me it is killing them too!  I am way off my pace now so i throw all pre race targets out the window and decide just to race this race.  Reached the 4m marker and the leader is looking strong so i put a kick in to shake 3rd place off me so i only have to worry about catching the lead not being caught my self.  I started moving and feeling back to normal at 4.5m i had reeled the 50m leader back and was on his shoulder. And on that i kicked for the line with 800m to go.  It ended on the track so i could get a sneak of how close he was, i had a decent lead so eased off a little (i have a 3k on wed) and crossed the line in 27.14 for 1st place and a £50 prize.  In the end i had a 11 sec lead so happy that in a race i was really struggling in i still found a bit of speed at the end.

splits tell the story (i was targeting approx 5.25 pace) 5.22, 5.29, 5.35,5.33, 5.11.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

hey seb, 2 events in this heat , you must be crackers!!!  Superb times on both particularly on the 1500m being hot/after running a SC etc...

I am sun burnt to a crisp.  Bright red, and i had factor 30 on but guess i sweat it off

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great running all.  Stevie, nice work cracking 18 minutes, looks like all that work is really starting to come good.  Seb, that's a sterling effort for those 2 events in one day, and both very competitive times in the heat.

Dean, now that is racing!  A kick with 800m to go?  Good grief!  Especially in the heat, that's a bloody cracking time!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

BUPA London 10k for me this morning - a lovely free entry as part of the club team for the UK 10k championships, with our own special pre-race building shared with the elites (went past Mo Farah, Phil Wicks and Freya Murray on the steps to the toilets, which probably says more about how often I went to the bathroom than anything else).

Not sure I can say too much about the race, because I stopped my watch after 2k by mistake.  I only know the gun time (35:16) as the chip times aren't out yet, but I started quite far back in the championship start so there are a few seconds that should be shaved off.  Restarted my watch at 5k, so I know my second 5k was 17:16, including a 3:12 last km (!).  I am sure my first 5k was substantially quicker than 18:00, but I guess we will see when they release the chip times.  Pleased to be second team scorer for the club - club team was 25th of 45, which is about as well as we were going to do, given we don't have any 31-33 min runners at the moment.

Slightly disappointed with that time after going sub-35 a couple of weeks ago, but maybe there was an element of after the Lord Mayor's show about it, and I think times were a little down across the board in the heat in any case.  Will update you on the chip time when I have it.

In any case, it was a great experience to be rubbing shoulders with the elites at the start.  Whilst warming up, I noticed Mo Farah and Scott Overall warming up in front of me.  Well, I thought, this will be my only chance - so, of course, I overtook them.  Very childish, but also very satisfying.  I think most of you would have done likewise.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - in that heat and sheer volume of runners its a cracking time.  My club sent a team down and a guy who has run 33m before although has been around 35 this yr found the heat oppressive and came in a 37.  So i think you can be very proud of your time, particularly as it will come down on the chip (assuming you attached it, as you have form for that image)

and as for showboating with the elites, i think its expected,sorry demanded of us to do exactly that. Well played!   

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blindingly good results there chaps on a scorcher of a day! 

Seb - must be very difficult coming back after a SC to run 1500, and both in very respectable times.

Dachs - sounds like an event to remember, and 35:xx in this heat is probably just as impressive as the sub 35 in much cooler conditions. Hopefully you'll be able to say you took an olympic champion in a few months time!

Dean - fantastic stuff! A really good time, a win to boot and all done in a true racing style!

• Dean, great win and also a grat race: nice when it is head to head and personal and you come off better at the end. Liek the mental approach: easier to chase a guy down in front than fight the bunch off behind.

Solid run Dachs, good to get a back up for that sub-35.

seb, nice chasing debut there, did you have water in the pit?

• Well done Dean, Seb & Dachs. Great racing on another boiling day.  You're all honorary Kenyans as far as I'm concernedimage

Well I have an unenviable stat to report: My running route is now part of a murder crime scene.  14.69 miles this evening on a slightly altered route.

• LuvsaPB wrote (see)

Well I have an unenviable stat to report: My running route is now part of a murder crime scene.  14.69 miles this evening on a slightly altered route.

If you need any advice I can edit Garmin records to prove you were somewhere else at that time. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Where's that then Luvsa? Not that subway in Bracknell?

• Yes, the mean streets of Bracknell. Yuck!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

"That subway in Bracknell" doesn't narrow it down very much.

Dean - thanks, good to know I wasn't the only one who was down on the usual times.  I guess the heat affects different people in different ways, but it seems like even the elites were a little slower than might have been expected yesterday.  And no, I shan't be making that mistake with the chip again.  Plenty of different mistakes, but not that one.  I think I checked it about 20 times yesterday.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Narrows it down to the one in the papers! Woman had her throat slashed.....

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Some impressive changes of gear in the races for some of you guys. I've been on the receiving end of such ability on occasions but usually in the shape of someone in view up ahead going around a corner leading to a long straight road and finding that they have completely disapeared from sight by the time I get there. 

🙂

• afternoon all, some cracking races from our boys these weekend despite the sun! had a number of club mates at the bios 10k who all came out under parr thanks to the heat!

currently on the way back from Edinburgh and burnt to a crisp from hanging out in the sun all day to watch the full the missus run the full marathon, she clearly wears the trousers in our house as I only went for the half....and thank God I did, some of the sights towards the end of the race were enough to put you off marathon running for ever! my race was pretty uneventful, I knew I'd fade over the last few miles due to no real endurance work since pre Vlm so decided to take advantage of the course profile, go out hard and hold on! worked in kms aswell for a change, 1st 1k a'la SG in 3.03! through 10k in 34.13, felt good at this point and was sat in 12th place having watched the lead group fly off! kept working and closed in on 2 that had fallen off the pack, went straight past and hit 10m in 55.36 (a new 10m pb!) i'm on for a cracking time here I thought, just hold it together! less than half a mile later that was replaced with 'oh sh!t, there go the legs! had to drop the pace and came in at 73.36mins, still a 30secs pb tho which makes it 2 in a week!image

then felt completely emasculated by watching the missus battle through the heat to run her 2nd Mara in 4.2 hrs, only felt slight guilty for seeing, the pain she was in and thinking 'thank God I didn't sign up for that!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i was gasping for air and struggling running a megre 5m of distance, couldnt imagine running a HM yesterday.  I will pretend i havent worked out that you ran approx my 5m pace to get you to the 10m marker.   Excellent race DT2 & brace of PBs.

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Dean, what a win! That race usually has a few big hitters turn up and win (apart from yourself of courseimage). A very nice race to say you have won on the CV. Still plenty of useful runners knocking about... so 2 PBs in ridiculous heat? You might want to think about the marathon des sables? image

DT2 - an outstanding run, going through 10k in 34 mins is just eye watering for me! To be fair it was probably more the heat then lack of endurance work that caused (a minor) fade at the end.

Well done to Seb and Dachs too, it's not easy racing in this weather. I think unless people are really fitter than their PB's then most people are down on times.

My handicap has been slashed again due to me PBing on Friday but by comparison nobody else did.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

DT2, that's a storming performance in any weather.  How many half marathon PBs is that this year?  You're heading into some pretty serious time territory there, And a top 10 to boot!

Are you racing any 10-milers soon to get yourself an official PB?

News on my chip time from yesterday is that the championship runners all appear to have just been given gun times.  Not sure what the point in wearing a chip was in that case, but I reckon my time ought to have been at least 10 seconds quicker.  Oh well, not to worry.

• dach, I've never ran well at the bupa 10k, so take my hat of to you mate! reckon that was sub 35 on chip/with decent weather. pretty sure I've got a club 10m coming up soon in dorking? Richmond 10k next where I get to go head to head with old war horse that is pmj!image

can't blame the weather to much for my race as it was a nice early start so missed the heat that you guys went through.

still on the way back from Edinburgh.....this is one serious long ass train, journey!
  • .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

great racing despite the weather guys, great win from Dean, low 27's is really starting to motor! great stuff!

That time sound rather good to me Dachs! Id be happy with that anyway. DT2 very impressive as always! All the miles you put in really seem to help with the endurance side of things.

Yep PMJ no hosepipe ban up here so pit was full of water!  it was held a lougborough uni they have some amazing facilities!

hilly 5mile EMGP Series race for me on wednesday night, legs still got no go in them but ill be happy if I get a PB.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good stuff Dt2 - excellent time.  I think anyone on here would be way more than happy with your splits as a standalone 10k or 10 mile time! The last 3 miles were still done at sub 5:50 pace - you can hardly really count that as a fade, but I guess your standards are becoming frighteningly high!

• seb, water at Loughborough was probably from the week before. Our current hopeful, Pippa, ran there the week before and did 3k chase in 10:21. Should stand her in good setad for the worlkd junior championships this late summer. She would have given a lot of you boys a good run for thier oney, butthey do use shorter barriers. On your po10 profile, your coach has  the same surname as you: coincide or relation? My daughter is a coach and keeps on saying she woudl coach me but I refuse.

DT2, nice PB there, well paced outcome it seems even if not planned. Have to admit I have not yet entered the Ricmond 10k, I need to get a fast 5k under my belt to feel confident so that may be a week away yet. If not, I may do a 10k at Battersae later September, though I am also looking at that odd 2 mile race in Battersea as well, seems a good distance to rank in. 

bus, any clarity yet on Didcot 5, July 1st?

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

yeah doubt they would drain the water out if its being used week in week out. Lower barriers would be a godsend!

coach listed is my dad, but its more for publicity/attracting runners, as he doesnt really coach me anymore as im living 100 miles away. I started running years before he became a coach, so I kind of got him into it. He's got quite afew good youngsters who improve year on year but Im not suprised as his training sessions are fairly substantial in qantity and quality and make my new clubs look like an easy day out.

was thinking about coming down to Didcot 5, but won't bother if I can do Banbury 5 and do well.

• Crap race at lunchtime. Monthly handicap over 3.24 miles done in 19:59 which is 6:10 pace. After Sunday's track session (speed work) I was very stiff and yesterday my legs ached like billyho but I hoped they woudl be clear today and they weren't. Started out at 6 min pace for first mile and slowed down to 6:15 for next two and brought he last bit in a shade under 6 but nothing fancy. Was down towards 19 and a quarter last few outings and was thinking about sub 19. Need to get in a few days rest and get the legs ticking over agin and need to avoid fast sessions: next race is a week today: road 5k on a hilly course, did it in 18:05 last year so sub 18 has to be the starting point.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, fast sessions eh! I saw the numbers and took a while to work out the pace. Crikey! that's fast. For me a 200m in 38/40 seconds would do ok . Much faster than my 10k or even 5k pace. But it's tempting if you can do it, fast running. But just as sinking several drinks seem like a good idea at the time, the hangover tells you otherwise. Haven't gone into the morning after headache zone for 20 years since a brief dalliance with half a small glass of whisky. As for getting things down my neck or not. I went out twice yesterday, a couple of miles early on and again later which was a mistake. A mistake since I hadn't eaten enough and 10 minutes in, went hypoglycaemic. Walked back in a light headed sweat, starving hungry all of a sudden. You can eat anything remotely edible like this. Back in the house, tin of lager, 3 bagels, packet of crisps, magnum ice cream and a packet of fruit gums hit the deck in record time.

Twice again today, 8 miles am and 6 miles pm. The main difference was I had the lager, crisps, bagels and two bananas about 15 mins before the evening run. Much better. Hadn't planned to do 6 miles but felt so good after downing the supplies I thought 'why not'.

🙂

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Did 4 x 1KM (3mins) @ 3k pace tonight. Did 3 x 3:19 and a final 3:16. Very pleased as that is looking a bit closer to sub 10 min form. Plus I did that session a month back and it started at 3:22 and got progressively slower. Tonight was much more controlled and even; only the last rep hurt after a quick opening 200m. Feeling good! image

• 5*1M tonight and legs felt suprisingly fresh considering Sundays HM (clearly i hadnt worked hard enough at the weekend!) consistency to please PMJ aswell! 5.06,5.07,5.07,5.07,5.07 pretyy chuffed with the splits as i played around with the pace on each one aswell. finished with 8*60M sprints.

SS, good splits and great inprovement mate, helps so much when you can see these sessions paying off.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

some quality work there DT2 & Stevie. Both sessions scream out PBs, a sub 16 5k for DT2 and sub 10 3k for stevie.

Occasionally you have to just shake off a race Phil, you have trained fast recently so sometimes your legs dont play ball.  Pretty sure it will prove to be a one off

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PMJ - sounds like you know exactly what went wrong on that race.  Leave the fast stuff alone for a week and a sub 18 should be yours.

SS - quick kms!  Especially that last one - you're looking in good form.  DT2 - 5:0x for mile reps - lightning quick. What kind of recoveries were you having?

Ric - I've done exactly that after a track session - I came in the front door and my wife had to bring me handfuls of sweets.  Not a great feeling, and I always take something with me to the track now.

10 miler last night for me - 2 warm-up, 3 at marathon pace, 3 at tempo pace, 2 warm down.  Stats of the run:

MP - 6:28, 6:25, 6:23

Tempo - 5:50, 5:51, 5:51

Flies in mouth - 2 (0 swallowed)

Flies in eye - 1.

Pretty pleased with that, as 5:50 is feeling much more comfortable than it did, even in the warm weather last night, and the pacing was much more disciplined than it has been in the past.

On another subject - I am considering the purchase of racing shoes.  Up to now, I train and race in the same shoes (trusty old Wave Rider 14s).  Is it likely to be worth my while buying racing shoes, as opposed to, say, food for my children?  Do they make much difference?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good session Dachs - regards racing shoes they do make a difference but not sure how much. They are lighter and lower profile.  However once i forgot to pack my racers for some track work and ran in my Nike vomero's (similar to wave riders) and i still ran the same splits as normal, so its not like normal trainers are like running in diving boots!!

however i run in possibly the lightest shorts/vest known to nasa to gain a micro advantage. Perhaps ask for money for bday/xmas to get racers.....mind you kids are resiliant nowadays and would probably get away with bread/water for a week or twoimage