Beginer who has come to a brick wall

Hi, I'm 48 and just started jogging , never been one to exercise,but always fancied jogging. I have just finished an ease into 5k app and have slowly started to jog, but now feel I have hit a brick wall,I can't seem to get past my new time etc and im starting to feel deflated .. Has any one got some good advice how to up my game and start to enjoy my jogs again... Thanks

Comments

• Unfortunately I can't help as I am just starting out, but i'm sure there is someone here to offer some advice to help you.

Sending some Cyber Motivation your way x

• Thanks Rachel ... How's it going for u...
  • Slowly for me Angela!! But I only brought my running shoes wednesday. Went out for a run yesterday morning and managed a lap of the field with the dogs so hopefully I'll start to improve now I have my shoes image
  • I don't feel confident enough to do a race... I can only manage 12 mins top straight run then I struggle with my breathing.. I have to catch my breath then start again.. I don't have the stamina and I am 3stone over weight ..is this a excuse?. My hubby says so which make me feel bad and dont enjoy it...it's a visious circle image
  • Same with me Rachel but the right shoes do make a huge difference .... I seem to have slowed down cause I'm so hard on myself..,
  • Hi Angela,

It's really hard at first, but it does get better, honest image. If you can run 12 minutes already before you start to struggle, it sounds like you're doing really well!

If you're struggling with breathing, you're probably trying to run too fast. It takes a while to build up aerobically, so just slow it down a bit and you'll probablt find you cn keep going for longer. Also, if you start struggling just walk for a bit then try running again after a while. A lot of people build up this way and I certainly did. 

At the start it's time on your feet that's important, not the speed....that will improve with time.

Good luck, keep at it and keep coming back for encouragement image

• i'm three stone overweight. the weight doesnt help but it doesnt prevent you doing it.i could prob do 12 mins tops(next week on my programme) i'm doing the great south run in oct. it is a great focus. i can tell you know i'll be walking at least a part of it.

• Where are you Angela? Is there no one you can run with to help motivate you?

I find that my biggest problem at the minute. I need someone to push me, but finding someone who doesn't mind running with my collies and can also fit in around my doggy schedule is not easy lol!!
  • i'm the same rachel. i have some friends who are keen and then i mention to them that i love to go out at 5am. then it goes quiet........

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Angela, I can ony repeat what saffy said. It is hard at the beginning. If you go a bit slower you will be able to go further.

are there any race for lifes near you that still have spaces? Loads of people walk these, so you could run or walk or a mixture of the two.

if you eat sensibly as well as sticking at the running then the weight will start to shift, and you will find it easier as you lose weight

• Thanks saffy, you have made feel so much better about it all... I was starting to feel a failure...I do walk I between but my hubby kept telling me to run...I hate been pushed by him and enjoy running alone with my music..it gives me a clear head and a buzz after with no nagging..lol image

I'm in Sheffield Rachel ...where are you? I can't see why your dogs would be a problem.. I run with my dog sometimes..

I'm not surprised it goes quite with a 5 am jog lol... Middle of the night hahaaha
  • nah follow a programme and ignore hubby. walking important part of the training

• I am dieting with w/w it's slow but at least it's got me jogging..a lot of the ladies are joggers and have got me started...the best thing for me never thought I would do it image ....so thanks mathschick
  • I'm in Milton Keynes, bit far from you lol!!
  • Hahaha I am Caroline ...it's taken some time to relise I'm best on my own .... low confidence makes me defensive to any thing he says ..I know he's trying to help really image
  • I started C25K in Nov after losing 2.5 stone with WW and have lost another 1.5 stone since. C25K is a walk/jog programme that builds up your stamina and now I can run  an amazing 7 miles (gobsmackingly amazing as I hadnt run since school and then only when I really really couldnt wriggle out of games lessons!).  I am doing a 10k in June.  not ambitious in terms of time (the only "race" I have done is a parkrun when I was coming to the end of the C25K programme) but it has really helped me focus. I downloaded a training plan from this site which I have stuck to religiously as I dont want to make a total prat of myself when I do that 10k - dreading it being hot tho!

• Do you have a Parkrun near you? I have just started going along (second one tomo) and they are great for beginners. Really helps with motivation and gives you a goal at the end of the week.

I don't have any specific training advice as I am just starting out myself but keep going whatever you do!

• Was just going to suggest you look at the park runs.........a free 5k run every saturday morning at 9am across the country.............

they really are beginner friendly.........you do have the fast runners there but also down to kids and people walking it.......its for everyone......

I would advise everyone starting out to habe a look at the parkrun website.......you will not regret it........

it really helps motivates you and you might meet others in your area with similar aims and goals.......

good luck and enjoy

• Saffy's totally right - if you slow down a bit, you should find you're able to keep going for longer. Don't get hung up on whether your running speed is fast enough to qualify as 'proper' running to other people, the going slower thing is a genuine training strategy. My running partner often questions my slow shuffle on our long runs and is clearly itching to speed up a bit, yet she starts to struggle and slow down at a point where I could keep going for another hour at least. And btw, I'm 2 stone overweight. Extra flab obviously doesn't benefit runners but it's not a total disaster. Just watch any big event and you'll see one or two real chubby looking folk overtaking some real skinnies. I ran a 10K race a couple of weeks ago and saw a very short girl who was easily a size 18 running steadily with the 50 minute pacers at the 8K mark. Good runners come in a variety of body shapes, but if you keep training and watch what you eat, you'll soon see a difference.

Angela - I used to find that my OH said things that annoyed me, I think he was trying to be helpful but didn't know how. You need to tell him how to support you, the kind of things that you need him to say and do.

for example, when I was doing weightwatchers, everytime I ate something he shouted out 'POINTS' - it really didn't help at all!!

• That's so funny maths chick ....he's the exact same....have u tracked that....makes me want to punch him...I think I'm slowly getting my point across though..I told him I went for a little jog yesterday, in 24 cen. heat, all I got was" that isn't far enough" but I calmly told him ( which I don't usually do) it was enough for me .. End off

after all my replys I feel so so much more confident to carry on ,and we have the half marathon in my town tomorrow so I'm going to go and watch it like "run with dogs" advices to see all the different people who run/ jog image

I am doing the Sheffield one tomorrow Angela - I am overweight and move slowly.

But enjoy watching and cheer people on - it is really appreciated.

• How did u do mathschick today... I had a lot of friends doing it today too

I suffered in the heat, but made it round in 2:48. Was really glad to finish. Enjoyed it though. Not enough goody bags - there weren't any when I finished and there were still plenty of people behind me. And only large t-shirts left.

Will just have to get quicker if I want to get t-shirts that fit and goody bags!

did you have fun watching the one near you?

• Hi sorry it's been so long since I last wrote... Been very busy with stuff...

I have managed to get back into jogging and enjoying it again...now I do it alone

I've gone back to my original phone app...ease into 5 k..and find this is perfect for me and I feel no pressure to be doing more etc..my own speed is fine. Thanks every one for your tips and advice.
  • Angela, I'm in sheffield and run with Activity sheffield on a Thursday evening. We start at graves park (morrisons entrance) at 6.30pm. The group is aimed at getting people into fitnes and is really helpful. I joined them about a year ago when I was running for a maximum of 5 mins at a time, I was / am also a ww member. I know they also do a run on a Tuesday evening that starts at 6pm.

There is also a parkrun in Endcliffe park (hallam park run), one at graves park, and one at concord.