Moray Marathon

This sounds like a good on to do. I fully intended to visit Elgin this week whilst off work as I'd heard it was such a nice place to visit / live in, but had to put it on hold for various reasons. This seems like a very good reason to commit to a visit in 2012. Does anyone know much / anything about it?

Comments

• Hey Paul, I haven't run the marathon but I've done the 10k and the half the past 2 years. It's a great course, pretty flat but around halfway you're exposed to the coast so it can get a bit windy!

The route is circular, the half marathoners start at halfway and start 90 minutes after the marathon, so you merge with them. Same with the 10k-ers (but they start with 10k left obviously) so there's always someone to chase down! It can get to the point (as it was this year) when you have a marathoner, a half marathoner and a 10k-er all crossing the finish line at exactly the same time. 

It's well organised, if the weather's nice (like it was this year) it's a great day out and I'd recommend it. Not hugely expensive either. Support is a little sparse out towards the back of the course but it's a decent size field.  Prizes are good too if you're up there (mum won a bottle of whisky this year for winning the HM). 

• Hi and thanks for that D.

I'll enter it tomorrow if the website alloows. Does your Mum have any training tips?

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

I ran Moray Marathon a couple of years ago and it was my favourite marathon yet, not that I've done many. I think for me the fact that it was on home turf, originally from there helped, but I did meet a seasoned pro who was on his 200th marathon and had been returning to Moray from the Lake District every year for 10 plus years as he loves it. I do like the Moray races and always do one of them.

The course is gently undulating - there were folks running it at the same time as me who were complaining that they hadn't been told it was hilly. I wouldn't really say there were hills, except a little bit of incline at the start.

The course starts in the Cooper Park and then goes up slightly and out into the country. You go through wee wooded areas and out to Burghead, before following the coastal road along through Hopeman to Lossiemouth. Then it's back into Elgin from there. It's a good mixture of woods, open countryside and coast.

Small and friendly race, very well organised. As Duck says, if you're faster you can catch up with the half marathon folks which is a bit of a boost. Support is thin on the ground but if you're happy to run your own race you will enjoy it. Good camaraderie on the course.

Only downside is that it can be pretty warm that weekend. Ensure you've got the P20 on even if it's overcast in the morning as there is a tendency for the sea haar to burn off and leave a scorcher in it's wake. Not sure when entries open but you can enter late and get in without difficulty - the race organisers are also very accomodating and if for any reason you find yourself unable to run the marathon they will allow you to change races if you e-mail them.

• Many thanks for the gen, Clag. The Premier Inn looks like a reasonable bet accommodation-wise, as far as I can tell, or maybe the Crear Eight Acres. I'll check out distances to start and railway station etc.. May be worth an extra night if I can get the Monday off work.
  • I've done the half a couple of times and will +1 to what Clagg and Ducky said.

The Eight Acres is about a mile from the sart I'd say, Premier Inn about half a mile.  Railway Station is in the town centre so distances not much different.  There are quite a few B&Bs in the town too.

• Excellent! Thanks TP. I did take a virtual stroll through the area last week courtesy of Google Street View and managed to locate the Premier Inn and LIDL. I think I've finally found Cooper Park now, although Google Maps doesn't seem to name it. It looks like area inside the unnamed road by the library just off King Street. I spied a lake, so presume that's the place. If any of you see a confused middle-aged bloke in an Epsom Oddballs RC vest wandering about on 2 September, just point me in the right direction.
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭
    That's the park. You register at the Town Hall which is just across the road from it. Lots of B & Bs as TP says which may be worth a look. Wherever you stay, if you're in Elgin you'll not be too far from the start.
  • As long as I can enjoy a square slice and haggis when I wake up on race day I'll be more than happy.
  • I am planning to do this one , as a fly , visit , and run it , as i have heard this is a beautiful place .
  • I've entered this one; was slightly concerned about the "undulating" course but the winners' times in recent years are just over 2.20 which suggest a pretty fast course
  • Looking forward to Sunday. Weather predicted to be ideal - am champing at the bit!
  • Ran this one in a new PB. Lovely day with a field of around 150. Well organised with friendly stewards and decent refreshments provided in Cooper Park at the end. If you like to run by yourself in delightful countryside (pigs, cows and sheep for support image ) then I would recommend this run. Not much to do in Elgin post marathon but if it's a quiet weekend away and a decent challenging run you're after give this one a go.