Water

Can any one pleaes advise just how much water do you really need to drink in a day?

I'm 5ft and weigh 8.4lb, I have an office based job, run four to fives a week, an eat really healthy. I drink 2 litres of water every day and drink about 4 to 5 cups green tea?

Am i over drinking?  image

Comments

• socks up tosocks up to ✭✭✭

I would have thought it depends on the person. If you are drinking too much you will soon know as you will be having to get rid of it every 5 minutes!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

When you go to the toilet it should not quite be clear, if it is clear then you are starting to dilute the useful stuff. Also as MM says, if you are going to the toilet every 5 minutes you have had too much!

Also at 8.4lbs you are actually consuming more than your bodyweight in fluid each dayimage

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    I think probably the best solution is just to drink when you feel thirsty. I know that sounds a bit facile, but under normal circumstances the body is fairly well adapted for signalling if it needs more water.
  • Cheers everyone, no I'm not running to the loo every 5mins, an it's a pale yellow colour if you really need to know lol.

So if I'm drinking more than my bodyweight, just what amount should I be drinking do you know please?

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I think you meant 8 stone 4 lbsimage

And I think Wetter was teasing a little image

There is hige individual variation for fluid requirement. It depends on ambient temperature, relative humidity, what clothes you're wearing, what activity you're doing, the duration and intensity of activity...

So in short, there is no one recommendation that suits everyone. 

The best way, as already said, it to assess urine colour and frequency. 

http://ems.pgpic.com/images/0821.peechart_upchurch.jpg

I'd probably aim for the second colour - it leaves you scope to drink in hotter weather without overhydrating too much image

• On the PC the colour of lines 2 & 3 is sort of salmon pink - if wee is pink I think there's a different issue present!

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I did try to find a better picture!

Pale straw. Go for pale straw rather than salmon image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

That colour chart's awful.  If I went through that spectrum I'd be getting myself down the doc's!

I prefer to think of the beer spectrum. (I made this up myself, can you tell?...)

water
    lager shandy
    cider
    lager
    IPA
    bitter
    porter

I think you want to be aiming for a very weak lager shandy.  If you're pissing porter, get help.

• socks up tosocks up to ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)

That colour chart's awful.  If I went through that spectrum I'd be getting myself down the doc's!

I prefer to think of the beer spectrum. (I made this up myself, can you tell?...)

water
    lager shandy
    cider
    lager
    IPA
    bitter
    porter

I think you want to be aiming for a very weak lager shandy.  If you're pissing porter, get help.

Thats no good i need a wine spectrum!

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

http://www.interestment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/shandy-380x475.jpg

Lager shandy? You need a bit more water with thatimage

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

This is my favourite image

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wj6hpcL1PIQ/TisZOkBniKI/AAAAAAAAACY/ZovIVpdqbMw/s1600/pee+chart.png

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Aspall's cider??  I drink a lot of this stuff in the summer.  It's about as clear as alcoholic apple juice gets.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6129/5978401537_c80d224e6a.jpg

• Cheers guys I get it now and from the last chart from Sarah I'm 2 / 3 so all is good

• I think you're all taking the piss

• BallesterosBallesteros ✭✭✭

Just to add on a more serious note - don't forget that certain foods and vitamins can affect the colour of urine without being indicative of dehyrdation or disease, eg asparagus, beetroot, excess vit B, excess vit C. So if you do get a worrying colour then use a bit of common sense and/or research before resorting to panic image