Early Morning Training

Hi, just looking for some advice, I've had to change my training plan slightly because of new family arrivals and time constraints, sometimes I have to train very early in the morning, 6.00am 7.00am - ish, but when I do I feel drained and tired and just can't get going, so has anyone got any tips on boosting my energy before I head out there? Any help would gratefully be received

Comments

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry, I can't help - I have similar time constraints - generally go out between 5:30 and 5:40 and quite literally get up, make sure that my 9 year old who is also up then, has a bowl of cereal, a drink, the telly and the laptop to amuse him (my wife is still in bed at that point - but we live in a bungalow so she is right next door) and I head out the door pausing only to take a quick drink. I always eat after my shower when I get back - I suppose after 18 months of doing it my body has now got used to it.

• Hi Paul, I'm an early morning runner too - usually around 5.30am but can be earlier! All I can say is that I try to make sure that I eat well the evening before, particularly if I'm doing a long run. I can't run within 3 hours of eating as it makes me feel ill so I never eat just before I go out the door. I'm a 'morning' person anyway and I like the peace and quiet at that time of the morning but maybe you just need to give your body time to adjust to running at that time of day, especially if you're not used to it. If you're really struggling can you save your recovery runs/slow runs for the early mornings and do your faster ones at a different time of day? Sorry, I can't be more help!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm another early riser. Normally, i'll lay everything out the night before (including a glass of water), and when the alarm goes off - my body takes over getting me dressed, having a drink of water and out the door. I only really 'wake' up during the run.

As you mention new family arrivals - could it be the reason that you're feeling drained and tired is because you're not getting enough sleep and not eating the right foods? Normally, if i'm running early morning - i'll have a good dinner the night before to make sure that i'm up and raring to go.

My body now loves running in the morning and i really have to drag myself out if it's in the afternoon.

• Thank you for all the help, appreciated
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

another early bird here - usually out there around 5ish and normally I really love being out and about so early. It's a great feeling to have the workout done & dusted by the time you hit work so even if unexpected stuff comes up at work it won't interfere with your training cycle. Like others have said: it's important to have a proper dinner the night before or else you'd have to get up even earlier, eat, allow some time for digestion and then run.

The only thing that I never mastered quite so early is intervals. Don't know what it is but it seems like the heart rate doesn't raise above a certain level until later in the day. Or maybe that's just my heart being weird image. I tend to do intervals on Saturdays using the track or I bite the bullet and run in the evening. Interval sessions aren't very long, so fitting them in one night a week is ok.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@ Chickadee - I'm the same for morning intervals. It just doesn't work for me. I can do great tempo runs in the morning on 'fresh' legs and good LSR's but intervals need to be done once i've had breakfast.

I used to run early mornings with a friend who used to swear by a banana and flat coke in the morning before the run to set you off. I could never stomach anything straight from bed but she swore by it.

I guess it's an element of trial and error to see what works for you image There's a thread on here for early morning runners - maybe pop over there and see what they suggest?

• Another early bird, normally about 5.30am.  Preparation the night before to make sure you don't wake the other half up scratching round for kit is my best tip.  I actually prefer it now to running after a full day of work

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I think maybe it is what the body (and maybe the mind) adapts to - I have no problems runing intervals - also doing them first thing in the morning means I don't have all day to dread them!!!!!  I very rarely do longer than 2 minute intervals to be honest as I try and fit in a couple of 40 minute tempo runs each week too. 

And as others have said it is great to get out early as the sun rises - or as was the case in January, ploughing through virgin snow!!!!  At that time in the morning as I run along the sea wall betweeen Clacton and St Osyth - it really is a beautiful world.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

agree, Grendel. Some mornings I get cross when I see another person wanting to shout at them oi, get off my planet image

Emmy_bug wrote (see)

@ Chickadee - I'm the same for morning intervals. It just doesn't work I used to run early mornings with a friend who used to swear by a banana and flat coke in the morning before the run to set you off. I could never stomach anything straight from bed but she swore by it.

imageimage  no, emmybug, I deffo couldn't do that either image

• Thank you for taking time out guys, again much appreciated, it's new to me do so I'll take on board the info here, trouble is at the mo I'm grabbing what I can, when I can! Short of a running buggy there's not much else I can do (ps I'm not buying a running buggy).
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Just as you said running buggy I was going to suggest one... but only once your chlid is over a year old... image

Good luck for the early mornings and don't forget to say good morning to the other plodders you see out there in the morning - it always makes me smile.

chickadeee wrote (see)

agree, Grendel. Some mornings I get cross when I see another person wanting to shout at them oi, get off my planet image

Emmy_bug wrote (see)

@ Chickadee - I'm the same for morning intervals. It just doesn't work I used to run early mornings with a friend who used to swear by a banana and flat coke in the morning before the run to set you off. I could never stomach anything straight from bed but she swore by it.

imageimage  no, emmybug, I deffo couldn't do that either image

You should have seen her other food/drinks! After a run she used to swear by peanut butter on toast, washed down with some icky green juice (yes, that is the professional terminology)

• Depends on how much time I have before heading out for a run in the morning.
    In the past I've at least made sure to have a coffee while I'm waking up and getting ready. If I'm feeling like something a bit more then I might have a banana or a gel. I'll eat something more substantial when I get home usually toast, cereal or a bagel but have been known to have a bit cake or some biscuits image
    Either way I try to make sure that I've had enough to eat the evening before.

At the moment I'm trying to get in early morning runs and so will be joining the pre-6am crowd. At most I'll be having is a swig of energy juice.

• Well i did my first early morning run today and felt good at the time and no ill effects through the day. Was up at 05:00 and running by 05:15, only 4k, but it's a start.

I decided to try them as i am up out the door to work by 06:00 and get home for 20:00+, and really can't be fussed by then and it then means eating late. Shall try to keep it up and fingers crossed it will work for me.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hydration or lack of appears to be the key. Weigh yourself before bed and again after sleeping a few hours. Note the difference. I eat nothing but should I wake in the early hours @4:30am I'll drink around 500ml and go back to bed for a while. Two or three mugs of tea and I'm ready. 6:30am and anything is possible and in summer it seems you have the whole place to yourself. At 4:30am you really do.

🙂

• I often get up at 5.30am.........I go for a wee and go back to sleep for a few more hours
  • http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/who-else-gets-up-at-stupid-o-clock-to-run-/161363-427.html

Paul come and join us on 'The Stupid O Clock Thread' in General.

You'd be more than welcome.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks Birkmyre - that was the link I was looking for!

• Stuart: Well done on yesterdays morning run.

I'm fortunate in thats i'm a morning person.I  take after my old man and so morning running is relatively easy for me. I've been doing it since Aug 1984 !

'During the war'...image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I can also give some advice from this mornings run. I *really* didnt want to go out there.... but just put one foot in front of the other and JFDI.

• emmy:It takes practice and then becomes a habit if you do it often enough and give it time.

• It is awful when I first wake up, but I have to admit that I always feel great by the time I get to work

• Sorry for the late response, great advice, I've got a good idea of what I'm going to do from here on in. My body will catch up with the early rise I'm sure it will!!!!!!
  • Out at 5.40am this morning, a morning of 4s, four miles out, 4 miles back and saw 4 deer

• Out for my second run this morning, all good. Not quite up to your level JF50, only 4k. Got a 10k in on Sun AM which i'm looking forward to.
  • Stuart it's still 4km more than most people probably sat in your office.  I always try to do a slightly longer one on a Friday morning, just means getting up a bit earlier.  Enjoy your 10km on Sunday

• Good to see  we're getting convertsimage

• Paul: To quote Del Boy Trotter 'You know it makes sense !'image

• Couldn't put it better myself