Options

Help! Motivation needed - anyone else feel like this?

Help!

I used to be quite fit - even ran a couple of half marathons. Ive now been out of the game for a couple of years and on top of that, my time feels completely swallowed by my 3 month old baby. I desperately want to feel that runners high again, especially with all of the baby weight gained, but need to get motivated. Anyone else been through something similar and have words of advise/encouragement?! Id love to do the Cardiff half again this year, but is 4 1/2 months unrealistic time frame to train from scratch?

Comments

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

If you haven't run for a few years and just had a baby I would say that is an unrealistic time frame for a half marathon.

You should probably start off quite slowly -  assuming you are not suffering from anything related to the birth. After my second child I started back running after a few months, but just slowly and did my first half marathon about a year after he was born. Why not aim for an autumn 5k or 10k instead?

• Options

That sounds sensible ... and achievable. image I think I am my own worst enemy, setting my sights too high, too early. As many of us do, I have too high expecatations of myself, especially after going through something so massive.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

I think your ligaments are looser after childbirth so take care. And if you feel tired don't worry about missing sessions - having a baby around does that!

• Options

i think if you put your mind to it and have time to train you can be ready for it i know nothing about recovering from having a baby as im the wrong gender but 2 things to take into account first you and your babys time will you get enough free time to be fit enough to enjoy the day if the answer is an easy no then put the half marathon on hold and build steady and secondly if you cant do it but think you can the little devil inside your running head will keep repeating you should have done that either way congats on your new baby

i think anything can be achieved if you want it enough   even my spelling and punchuation which i will appoligise for .