Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Comments

• They finished in heavy rain last night but it seems dry thus morning.....

All 11 in the lake.

Kk it seems you are right and there is a competitiveness between the girls....but first priority must be to survive

Another day started

One competitor and his wife support team speak no English...wow...hope they get by...we are not known for our language skills in UK
  • Tried to speak to the French lady yesterday, my French is appalling but she is lovely and in good spirits! Luckily Jo from the timing team speaks French so she has someone to help
  • Weather is fine too. A bit cooler today which should suit competitors a bit more!
  • Monique was a lot slowr on the bike today, maybe just the weather?

Meanwhile I have washing all my tri kit, I didn't realise I had so much!! 

• i dont think Michele would be great company - she looked pretty grumpy yesterday

• Just been watching some of the video clips on youtube. 3 days in they are all looking remarkably good! Fair play to them all. At least it looks dry at the moment.

Purple I'm on the edge of writing my list of things to take. I have been thinking about it for weeks thoughimage

Anyway, with never having met anyone yet please if you hear a scouseish accent and 3 look alike brothers walking around on Saturday please say hello so I can do likewiseimage I'm afraid I haven't got any pirate gear to be recognised by but I'll look for others.

Ride and run like the wind!!

• Chilli - I'm sure you'll stop Seren and I on the bike, we'll be in pirate gear.

So shout and wave image

• Will do and I will be watching out, I'll try my best to encourage however I'll understand if you give me a funny look and tell me to pee offimage

• Good thing you've got lots of pirate gear, Purple. Do you think you might want a change of kit every now and again, just to perk you up?

• I could do with more really. I've got two monaco tops and two pirate jackets.

If the weather is bad I may have to resort to non pirate gear image.

Still I'll always have the buff  and bottles

• i am struggling with the tracker......i can only seem to access itonce and then it seems to freeze on me.........

<h3>KK.i don't think the long distance thing is outside most people budget.........the quin is less than 600 pounds.......if you marshall a few of the first days of the deca then you can get a credit for half of that............so £300 less than an ironman and you get accomodation and food chucked it...........most people who gave up fags or alcohol or hairdresser, dining outs for a year could afford that......£6 a  week.....it depends if they want to ...some people will just use the cost as an excuse and then blow that money on a new bike  or a weekend holiday.........</h3>

Purple i dont have pirate jackets but it will be dry.so will not need them.............

• Michelle has just finished, Monique is still on the run

• kittenkat wrote (see)

Dooze I still struggle with this really long distance stuff, in it's only open to people with money.

Makes for a small field and within that it detracts from the people who actually are good and can afford it too; and those that can't but would beat the times if they could afford it; whilst the rest of the field is made up of moneyed mid life alternative crises.

Who if given a level playing field of entry, would get nowhere.

it is a silly amount of money for a and event, only having 11 people there makes the atmosphere somewhat subdued.  It is all a little to low key for me. 

No doubt there are plenty of people with far more ability but outside factors stop them being able to participate, money included.

I still dont see the point, in my opinion it is better to go as fast as you can for 1 IM. 

• all 11 have made it in the water this morning.....even though they are starting to get in later at night.not as bad as last year but it seems a couple are suffering.........

one guy took nearly 20 1/2 hours yesterday so will have had 2 1/2  hours sleep at most so out there in the water is amazing......

apparantley its a bit chilly there and the wind is up on the bike course..it is exposed........

Doozer......i suppose the same could be said for those who do sprint tris............why do iroman instead of going faster in the sprints.........or why do tri at all when you can play squash .............i expect we all do these things for different reasons and to findsomething out about ourselves.......

lets be honest with every sports there must be children in africa, china and india who have the potential to win the olympics in every sport if they didn't die young from disease and starvation and if they had the chances.............but you can't them take it away from the olympians who win the golds at the olympics and say they only beat the people there.......there are others in the world who have more potential but don't or cant realise it.........

• Doozer. wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)

Dooze I still struggle with this really long distance stuff, in it's only open to people with money.

Makes for a small field and within that it detracts from the people who actually are good and can afford it too; and those that can't but would beat the times if they could afford it; whilst the rest of the field is made up of moneyed mid life alternative crises.

Who if given a level playing field of entry, would get nowhere.

it is a silly amount of money for a and event, only having 11 people there makes the atmosphere somewhat subdued.  It is all a little to low key for me. 

No doubt there are plenty of people with far more ability but outside factors stop them being able to participate, money included.

I still dont see the point, in my opinion it is better to go as fast as you can for 1 IM. 

I can see both sides of this argument, yes KK has a point that you have to have a reasonable amount of money to take part in an event like this, but I'm guessing that a lot of single folks ( and lets be honest long distance triathletes are quite likely to be single or at least without children) could find the money to do an event like this if it was the focus of their life. Perhaps the real reason its a small field is that doing a decca IM wouldn't even register in 99.999999% of the population. 

In all sports there will be people with huge amounts of  ability in that sport who never got a chance or more likely never even realised they had the ability not to mention those who made their choice to go down a different road, have kids etc. I was a pretty good cricketer but made a career choice which precluded me going any further, my choice but it doesn't distract from those who went on to play international cricket and some of my peers did. 

In short chapeau to those mad enough to take on a decca IM regardless of whether their rich, talented or in the middle of a mid life crisis. 

• monique seemed to be running well yesterday..........which is encouraging .....it will be interesting on wednesday when the quin boys join it to see if their fresh legs starts messing with the fast deca boys minds and tactics image

• I'm off to AT this morning. Weather doesn't look brilliant.

I can't imagine what it is like getting in that lake after only 2.5 hrs sleep.

Doing a Deca is expensive but compared to many other extreme events its not that expensive. I'm sure the limiting factor for most people is having the time to train and simple the desire to do it.

• looking forward to hearing about it Purple........give them a big hello from me

• Purple - I'll see you down there tomorrow. Just chucked in a spare pirate monaco for you. image

• Gosh why does this money thing keep coming up?

I am neither loaded nor having a midlife crisis. I afford IM racing by going without other things. Its simple really.

Anyway, back to the important thing of waving pompoms and virtual cheering! Thinking of Mon loads on my run this morning. Hope she's having a good day.

• By comparison Enduroman is nowhere near as expensive as Ironman or Challenge.

Best wishes and thoughts to everyone taking part this year.

• Garr just checked the tracker and one of the guys has pulled out.

Believe it or not in the time it took me to walk down the stairs I forgot the chaps name! imageimage

• Yep Keith it is, shame

• If anyone needs any kit whatsoever I am more than happy to bring it with me on Friday if I have it. Just post on here and I will see what I can do. image