Has Runners World Forum died?

Comments

• So if you stay will you become a bigamist sarah  image

• Probably should qualify with a  image

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Thank you OW. I needed that.

I tend to click on the 'Latest Threads' link at the top rather than looking through all the different sub-forums. Haven't noticed it being particularly quiet. There are one or two people trolling with two or three 'I'm bored, someone talk to me' type threads. If I'm not busy I'll join in, on the whole it's quite friendly (or I'm very thick skinned image )
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

My specialality is ginger cake.  I've even had someone on RW comment that my ginger cake was the best thing about the race that he did.

I also make a mean Guinness cake.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

If you want it to be darling image

FFS, is nothing sacred?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

A forum is only as good as the people on it want to make it.  This one is big enough for everyone to find their particular corner to gravitate towards.   I usually only use the events and ultra topics because there you have a very common shared interest - an upcoming event.  You can find out far more useful info about an event from a thread than ever you could on any official website, etc, and if you have experience about it you can offer to others if rhelpful.  And it can lead to the possibility of meeting up of course, always an interesting experience.  Some forumites have turned out to be female when I've always assumed they were male!!

I use the gear or health+injury only when I need to, or if someone wants advice.

And then very rarely I have a look at latest posts and post something on a random thread, like this one, which I wouldn't normally do.

Some of the threads, especially clubhouse ones, are so inclusive and full of in-jokes between people who clearly know each very well that I've found there's not much point even trying to get involved.  Some threads are incomprehensible.  I also avoid threads that have a lot of moaning and griping. You can come across a lot of this in your normal life without longing on here and getting another load of it.

Enjoy your running everybody image.  Keep the positive vibes going.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Not a great cake-eater, but I can be tempted, especially if it's dark chocolate and sticky.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

You should try my chocolate and beetroot cakes. They're very nice indeed.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

My chocolate and beetroot muffins are fab too.  No kk, you can't taste the beetroot, but it does give them a very moist, rich texture.  I hate beetroot so when I get it in with my veg box I always make muffins.  Also a good way of getting veg into children.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Well if there is a TOTP it would explain why there is souch noise. I had assumed it was people who were bored. Like running there is a lot of useless junk posted sometimes. Mostly from the ususl suspects. I prefer quality rather than quantity.

Other forums I'm a member of have post counts but only posts outside of off topic (clubhouse) get counted.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    SuperCaz wrote (see)

you can't taste the beetroot, but it does give them a very moist, rich texture ...  Also a good way of getting veg into children.

Indeedy. The beetroot also neutralizes the calories in the chocolate so they are quite safe to eat in large quantities.

• beetroot - yum! But not in large quantities - seems to upset the body's colour palatte.  Red wee is a bit distressing! image

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

It's better than black...

/members/images/509622/Gallery/Urine_chart.jpg

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I lurve beetroot but it does unfortunate things to my waste products. Sarah's pee colour chart doesn't cover the day-glo pink that I experience. As for the other one, let's not even go there.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I have heard that asparagus makes one's pee stink. And that it, ahem, affects the smell and taste of another product that only men can generate but obviously I have no way of directly knowing that ...

• the forum just moves in cycles like everything...........the people who were there when you started.........they were probably at the stage where they had found the forums boring and so moved on.....but at the time everything was fresh and new to you.........so now you are the ones who are fionding it old , stale and boring.so just liek magazine subscriptions you cancel and move on.........the newer people on the forum as still enjoying the forums........

the forum is not here to provide everyones entertainment needs........the real life should be doing most of that so you can just dip in her for information, discussion or to chat with friends..........

and you can still do all that.....

but if you really feel that this place is stagnant and boring.best to accept that its the same as it always was.but you have changed and developed and grown older so you probably need something differnmt form the forum than you needed 5/10 years ago

also many running clubs have facebook groups now so you can talk about running and ask questions and arrange runs without ever having to come on a runners website nowadays............and you know the people are all real..........not some saddos juat on a windup mission

• CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭

It's definitely much less busy than it was.  With social media technology evolving, it was bound to happen; Facebook etc has filled the gap and provides everything a forum does; the medium changed and, to a great degree so did the message.   I mean does anyone still send telegraphs or use the Pony Express to keep in contact?  They ended - not because both of these media didn't serve a purpose, but because something better came around.

The great thing about forums is they were never a self-selecting group - anyone could join in and you got exposure to views you'd never consider; perhaps didn't even know existed.  You got to make friends with people you'd never have met without forums

I've met some fantastic people... I've meant to meet, but never quite got around to meeting some fantastic others - this wouldn't have happened without this forum and so I class it as a beneficial tool.

The down side is it's a stalker's paradise and petty, vindictive people all too often use the anonymity of their forum life to try to mischief make and use it as a tool for rallying like minded support for bullying purposes - the evolution of Facebook made this easier - as instead of facing down disagreements out in the open they turned to Facebook lobbying to build hate campaigns against people - by telling lies about them.  I'm not sure if I was ever a victim of that, to be honest I couldn't give two fucks if I was - but I know some people who were victims and it wasn't nice for them...

I've recently come back to the forum after 5 months away from it and am now just about to drift off again into semi forum user obscurity... it was fun, but when I was a teenager so were skateboards - technology moves on - and so do peopleimage