Why don't men shave their armpits?

There was a discussion a few weeks back about women and body hair and quite a few people mentioned hygiene reasons for arm pit shaving (less sweaty and smelly). Anyway my boyfriend was moaning this morning about how rubbish his reacent anti perspirant deodorant is and it got me thinking - why don't men shave their air pits? Surely they'd be more comfortable in the summer if they did. Neither my boyfriend or I could come up with a good reason for or against, but somehow he wasn't that keen on trying it.

Anyone got a view? any men out there shave their pits? or otherwise anyone got a reccomendation for a good anti perspirant? the one my OH used to use doesn't seem to be available any more.

Comments

• I mentioned on one of the tri threads that I thought it was strange that men don't shave their armpits; no-one responded.

I don't really like the look of a hairy armpit when the hairs stick together with sweat.

The only thing I can recommend for armpits is Salt of the Earth spray natural deodorant which I use occasionally, otherwise I use nothing, but then I don't allow armpit hair to grow.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I confess I do for reasons of hygiene. Though apparently women are supposed to be attracted to the pheromones given off by this festering mess. 

🙂

• I don't like armpit hair on men.  I went out with a guy once whose armpit hair was so prolific I used to joke that I was going to put a saucer of milk out for it. image

• I don't shave my armpits because they're never on show. I'd probably give them a bit of a trim if they were.

If you have a serious problem with sweating then see your GP, they can probably prescribe you something. 

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Reasons of hygiene ?   FFS I am yet to find anyone who contracted a disease because they have armpit hair.   If you want to shave your armpits because you have some unhealthy overdeveloped obsession with your appearance then go ahead but let's not pretend it's got anything to do with hygiene.    

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Overly hairy pits are not attractive on men or women, but on the other hand I don't expect either to be clean shaven on a daily basis.  Best to keep them under control but not to obsess over them.

And yes, hairless pits are more hygenic as they are easier to clean.  But there is a big difference between hygenic and infectious popsider

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Why is it weird?  My pits aren't particularly hairy so I leave them alone but if I had proper ''Brian May's pugholes''  going on I might consider it.

W.r.t. anti-perspirants, one problem I do have is sensitive reaction to some, but I get on OK with Sanex, which works very well.  I think if you sweat profusely and use the stronger, prescription-type ones to try and keep your pits dry, you'll just sweat more from elsewhere.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I suppose I do it for practical reasons. Swimmers look pretty bald all over and cyclists go for the legs. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You might as well ask why do women shave their legs and men don't. I

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    SuperCaz wrote (see)

Overly hairy pits are not attractive on men or women, but on the other hand I don't expect either to be clean shaven on a daily basis.  Best to keep them under control but not to obsess over them.

And yes, hairless pits are more hygenic as they are easier to clean.  But there is a big difference between hygenic and infectious popsider

No there isn't - hygiene is to do with health - there is nothing unhealthy about having armpit hair.    People shaving it are doing it because they think it looks good - if that's what they think they are free to carry on but don't pretend they are doing it for any other reason or that there is something wrong with not doing it.    

• I have never seen a woman with hairy pits and thought, PHWOARRRR!

Not even Nina! image
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Hmm, I think we will have to agree to differ on that one popsider.  I suspect that we are getting crossed wires with the terminology or something.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Training twice a day as well as mucking about in gardens I tend to get a bit messed up. So short hair, short nails, clean under the arms even though I always keep my shirt on, so what they look like doesn't matter. So three clean-ups a day. Its just easier and quicker to dispense with traps for debris. 

🙂

• Being follicly challenged on the flight deck, there is more than enough shaving to be kept on top of.

Shaven hair grows back twice as quick, so once you start, you can't stop. Apart from up top, the rest of me resembles something close to a gorilla, so the less of it that needs keeping in check the better. Armpits would be a nightmare, not to mention the itching.

Dreamtwister wrote (see)

Shaving armpit hair is a bit weird for a man. The 'men' that do it probably shave around their bollocks too... Stay well clear from them ladies. Dickheads.

Ever had to pick clock springs out of your teeth? It's not fun. If we men expect women to keep it in check down there, there is no reason for them to expect any less from us. Besides, don't knock it until you've tried it.

• agree with popsider on the healthy arguement........if hairless armpits are easier  to clean .then surely we should all shave our heads as it must be unhealthy to have all that hair on it preventing cleaning..........

best deoderant i found is mitchum...........

• Waxing is a better solution imo for smooth underarm areas..

• My Better Half has shaved a few times, but regularly trims - I think because he prefers the look and feel of it.  I couldn't stand to not shave my arms, the feel and increase in sweat with long hairs makes me feel uneasy! I agree it's probably no more/less hygenic, but it definitely gives the illusion of less smelly sweat.

• seren nos wrote (see)

.if hairless armpits are easier  to clean then surely we should all shave our heads

Completely agree with seren nos.

I've never found hairy armpits hard to clean.  A bit of soap and water seems to do the trick wonderfully quickly and with very little effort  (And I've never found "debris" in there like I think someone else mentioned.) image

Shaving armpits is fine if that is what you prefer to do but I really can't see that it has anything to do with hygiene.