Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bus....you know the correct answer.   Focus on the most important and achieve it.image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus - get up that hill, you know you want to.

Good stats by all, it's been a good month for northern and midlands PBs.  We shall have to pull our southern fingers out, though I can report one (10k).

Had a day off today, so tackled my first 20 mile training run.  Completed it in 2:14:16, so 6:43 average.  Faster than I intended, and I shall have to be careful about running them like that closer to the marathon, but it felt OK today.  I also took the opportunity to try out a couple of gels - SIS ones.  And jolly nice they were too - in fact, I'd be quite happy to pop a few as I went about my general business.  Need to work on my technique to avoid unpleasant stickiness on the hands, face and shirt, though.  Guess Monica Lewinsky felt likewise.

• Dachs, one thing for the long runs is to try a bit of structure so either make them real easy time on the feet runs or run them easy at the start and harder later. Some people do MP sections but I did the first half at MP +20% and then the second half at MP +10%. For me, that is MP 6:30 so out at 7:48 and back at 7:09.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dean, you are right but...

Dachs, you are also right but....!

Forecast for Monday is pants, and much of the 5k route is on a pedestrianised area that I reckon might be a tad slippy in the wet. 

2:14 for 20 miles in training is very quick Dachs, especially for the first one at that distance. You only need to run a 46 min 10k on top of that and a sub 3 is in the bag! The proof of the pudding willl be recovery I guess, but a very positive start.

Made me laugh that Monica Lewinsky bit!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well, did the Coombe Hill race in the end. Most enjoyable! Long uphill, followed by sharp downhill followed by VERY steep uphill (think fell steepness!) followed by a wee bit of flat, then a long muddy downhill to finish in a very wet field. I was 4th to the top, but unfortunately lost a place to David Maisey on the descent  - bit of a bugger as he picked up the V40 prize which was a meal for two (but he is a 2:44 VLMer so only to be expected!). Only 3.5M but 650 feet of cimbing packed into that. Glad I wore my fell shoes though, as it was very slippy in parts after torrential rain last night.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

congrats on a good race bus....now to part 2, a 5k PB tomorrowimage

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Dean. hardest part of running races two days in a row is laying off the usual post race beers! (still, got to toast Her Maj with at least one I guess!).

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Where is everyone??

Right, new 5k PB for me this morning. Clocked as 17:59.85 on my garmin - I hope the gun time is kind to me, but somehow I doubt it!

It was billed as fast and flat, but I might get trading standards to take a view! It was fast (for some!) but the four lap course included a sharpish incline each time that really took the pace out of me! This, combined with a stiff breeze funnelled down Chesham High Street right into our faces for maybe 1/4k each lap definitely took the edge off the time - I was aiming for closer to 17:30. Mind you, if I'd known I was so close, I could have pushed for another couple of seconds! Hey ho, enjoyable race despite that, a good chin wag and picked up the V40 trophy (thanks to a certain forumite who pointed out I might have won, otherwise I was about to leave!),

Anyway, there's a big event going to happen on the forum today, so I'm going to clear the decks!!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

congrats Bus...i was all ready with "i told you so" if you didnt post a pb after running yesterday.  Very glad you proved me wrong! image You must a have a fair collection of trophies now.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well done Bus, the Chesham 5k from I remember of it either uses the ring road loop which is fast and flat or the other loop which takes you up the hill a few times. 20 years back I bet a flatmate of mine a chunk of cash he couldn't break a certain time barrier at Chesham. When he did the race however the 'hill loop' was used. I kept the cash. He ran 14:36!

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey, he'd have won by a long way today then! From the website description I thought it was the ring road route, but afaid not...

Thanks Dean. The collection of old geezer trophies is definitely growing - I've picked up 4 this year, 2 of which are enormous and I can't find anywhere to put them! I didn't feel anything in my legs from yesterday, but who knows - certainly tight in the quads and calves now.

• Well done Bus!  Two races in 2 daysimage  Was tempted to do this one but decided to save myself for Wed's 10k.  Iam a bit older than youimage

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Luvsa. What's the 10k?

Good news - results are out and the official time is 17:59 image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Really pleased to see you get that V40 trophy Bus. I realised quickly you must be in the mixer for it, and it was really good to see you pick the nice looking trophy up. Was just going to say you got that 17.59 but you gazumped me to it image

Ps...hello to everyone , where've you all been image

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Gents,

Nice PB double whammy Bus! V40 champ! If you ran 17:59 then it doesn't sound like a quick course. You can relax with those post race beers now!

Been quiet on here recently, I've had 2 days off to let some soreness subside. Got a 5k race Thursday and then running the Welsh castles relays race! Sounds epic, with a big stop ever camping on Saturday night!

SG - welcome back sir image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Welcome back SG. 

Where've we all been? waiting for our leader to come in from the coldimage

I've managed to train a bit and race through a minor niggle but I lost so much training that the races finally flattened me. So, a step back or two, a good rest and some base building. 80 miles plus in last 7 days but no tough stuff. How about you? have the niggles gone?

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Stevie. I promised you I'd be back once I'd raced again, so here I am!

Turned up at the 5k Bus did, hoping to surprise him! Like him, I'd read about an intriuging 4 lap course, that was meant to be "fast and flat".

The second i parked up and saw a little descent, i knew there'd be a trade off elsewhere, and sure enough there was a 15metre incline each lap. The kind of incline that's nothing over a half marathon, yet quite substantial over a 5k.

Long and short of it, is a 17:37, for 4th place in the small 70 strong field.

Front 3 were all local top dogs, doing 16.07, 16.19 and 16.42. I had a 14 sec gap behind me too, so as you can imagine I pretty much ran on my own for the last 3k or so!

Not always valid, but the front 2 have gone sub 16 before, very low 15 on the track, so Bus's take is right, when he mentions the incline (x4), and wind. Quite twisty too, although we didn't need to be told about the "sharp right hand turn" by the 3rd and 4th laps!

All in all a decent return. And the search for a proper flat 5k continues!!

ps Bus, have messaged you with a pic of you with the trophy...up to you if you post it for the thread. Some funny photos...you look like you're keeping the woman as far away as possible when you shake hands, and Sam's too busy posing for a pal taking a pic, she doesn't look at the main photographer!

Ric, not too bad really...only actually missed a few days injured in that 3month period, but i did strip things back, build slowly, and get professional advice on what to strengthen...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Welcome back SG!  It's been kinda weird posting on your thread without you!

Nice work pointing  out the V40 prize by the way. Must admit, I didn't notice there was a photgrapher until I'd started walking away! I think the Mayoress was only too pleased to be at arms length given the smell of me!

Forgot to say - good result by the way, especially after such a long time off racing - thought I might have had a chance of pulling one back on the head to heads when I bumped into you on the warm up, but you soon put clear air between us!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    /members/images/104999/Gallery/bus__chesham_5k_2012.jpg

treat for you, as you gave permission. Not a bad pic...

For any stats hounds out there, my splits today came out as

Before anyone gets too excited at the outrageous 1st k, like Bus pointed out on a cool down lap, the 1st k marker was a fair way before the actual marking on the road. Therefore, I'd wager the first 2 should have been more in the 3.19,3.32 mixer. The 5th k should definitely have come out quicker than 4 as well! But hey...that's racing!

Most 5ks I've done that have a sting in the tail, have just the one, so you bank time elsewhere, and then take a hit on 1k. This one, you had a hit on 4 different ks!

highlight of the day (apart from Bus's win obviously), was seeing a guy in a football shirt, 3/4length shorts, and normal trainers (with headfones for good measure) sprinting off at the start, keeping pace with the top quality front 2. Bus whispered in my ear, how long before he crumbles...i predicted the 1st hill...whyich was about 0.3miles in..and yes...that's no doubt when a hoard of runners monstered by. Lesson learnt. We've all been there...well i have!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Spookily he was wearing a Steven Gerrard shirt too!

Why I want to know with that pic is who is the enormous bloke staring out the window behind me?

My garmin splits were a bit out, as the 5k finished with 18 secs left! I think they wer OK for the first couple of ks though. I went through 1 in 3:21, and you were more than a couple of secs ahead at that point. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell then really isn't it. I do have a habit of utterly thrashing the first mile or km.

It's effective in destroying the belief of rivals..but doesn't work for the longer distances image

• Good to see you out SG, are you at Burnham tomorrow night for the summer 5k series? I did 18:05 there last year so am looking for sub 18 this year, 17:58 seems to be needed after bus' run today.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good running gents....particularly SG after a long layoff from racing.  Not much has happened since you've been gone.

I am anticipating the smilie average for this thread is about to go up, particularly the tongue stickie out one and the party hat one. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, no chance, 2 races in 2 days after none for 3 1/2months might be a little tasty image.

Wanted a low key comeback, so Burnham against tons of local rivals wouldn't be a good match. That's a proper "sting in tail race", one to make sure you smash the first 2km, as they're net downhill. Just when you think you're on for a great time, that very sharp short hill reduces you. I think i'd still prefer that style, then the one today, that was regular upsets to rhythm.

I think i told someone today, I'd only raced twice this year now. Clearly i was forgetting the 2 Jan races.

Deano ta also...from the snippets I've seen over the months, your background of hockey pro, and running for England as a junior (i think i'm correct and haven't made either up!!), is certainly showing in the class of your times now.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Phil, no chance, 2 races in 2 days after none for 3 1/2months might be a little tasty image.

So I'll see you on the Rye for the Handy Cross 5k on the 19th of June, lookign forward to chasing you round a couple of grassy laps.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'll probably do one of the 6...but I'll leave it as a suprise which one

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Decent return to action that SG! Gives me a 5k target for my Thursday outing. I'm going to try and run sub 17:20. Fortune favours the brave.Looks like you're still in good touch. Next race?

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

I'll probably do one of the 6...but I'll leave it as a suprise which one

I'm not doing Marlow so any of the others would be good.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, if you can find a good flat road 5k, you're half way there. Sub 17.20 sounds pretty sharp though, although maybe I've missed you continuing the good work while I've only been ducking in and out every so often.

Down this way, our courses are all undulating road, grassy laps, or today's bizarre layout.

That's why my back catalogue for 5k is 1x 17.10, (on a course some think was short, but the organisers claim wasn't), and 4 x 17.20-17.23. 

I think it was going through 5k in 17.23 within the Dprney 10k on a hot day last summer that shows what a real fast flat course can give. Challenge is finding one!!

No ideas on next race...will pick up with the big man Moraghan and see when the proper training can commence.

Phil, I think Marlow is the fastest, and then maybe Maidenhead, so favourite is one of those 2. But Marlow falls awkwardly 2 days after the 2 Wycombe races. I remember doing the Wycombe half and then the Datchet 5k 2 days later in 2010, but it's not ideal...and takes a lot of deep heat to fend off the DOMS.