Outlaw Bike Recce

I'm thinking of riding round the course on Sunday 10th June. Only planning to do 1 lap of each loop and if we ignore the lake, should bring it to around 80 miles.

Personally, I'm looking to treat as more of a social ride, so happy to do whatever speed people want to. Depending on terrain, I tend to average between 14-16mph, but I'm more than happy to go slower.

Probably worth mentioning now, I've got zero local knowledge!

Anybody up for it and fancy joining me?

Comments

• I've been thining about it myself!! May well join you! I have to admit that i quite fancy a flat ride for a change! I will need to double check my calender though. I promised to go to a 7 year olds birthday party around that date! image

• I'll be doing it that weekend, though was contemplating taking the TT and seeing what race pace feels like, weather dependent. I'm more than happy to wait in the pub.... image

• LS - Let us know. My calendar seems pretty full so this is the only weekend I can make now.

SE - you can get the beers in then! image 

• It's my father in law's birthday that weekend so might be down south. If I'm not mind if I tag along. Won't be fast I'm afraid and dont want to hold folks up.

• Cake - I'm really not fussed about speed at all. Just wanting to take in the scenery and try and get a slightly better idea for the day... very much a social ride from my point of view...

• B*gger, I would have loved to have joined you but I promised the OH that I would go support him at Bala that weekend.

• I might be interested in this and 14 - 16mph sounds just perfect.  I'll keep an eye on here to see what's happening over the next couple weeks.

• I might be keen for this. I usually average about 16 - 17 but would be happy just to do it in a group and enjoy the day.
  • I need to be having a go this weekend.  Drive from Suffolk on Saturday won't see me there until late morning.  16.5-17 mph average.  Will borrow mate's Garmin.  Any company welcome / appreciated.

Rw

• What time you thinking of starting Rw? I might be keen but depends on family commitments in th eve. Anyone else thinking of doing it this weekend?

• SlowEngineer wrote (see)

I'll be doing it that weekend, though was contemplating taking the TT and seeing what race pace feels like, weather dependent. I'm more than happy to wait in the pub.... image

I fancy a bit of this actually. Not done barely anything at race pace this year

• ajford1 wrote (see)

What time you thinking of starting Rw? I might be keen but depends on family commitments in th eve. Anyone else thinking of doing it this weekend?

Good quesntion AJ.  I'd say kick-off at 11/11:15AM would be a safe bet.  For recce and training purposes, the plan is to churn out full 112m.

Rw

• I would be up for the 10th july as well

SE - if you want some company in the pub getting the beers in i will ride round with you at a little quicker

• Posted and then found out plans for the weekend have changed. I'm well up for the sunday. image

• It looks unlikely I'll have Garmin fully loaded with route at my disposal this weekend and being largely unfamiliar with any of Nottingham (outside of confines of a pub's walls), I'm not inclined to travel the best part of 200 miles tomorrow to meander aimlessly around the area.

If the invitation is an open one, there's an equally competent / incompetent (delete as appropriate) group of cyclists (16.5-17.5 mph avg), with an idea of where to go, heading off at a sensible hour next weekend, I'd like to get involved?

• id be up for the 10th too, it might help me stop getting to "fat chuffer" status before the big day

• Let's hope the ineptitude usually displayed by the Met Office applies to this forecast too... http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Nottingham-UKXX0104.  Otherwise, bring your Macs!

Rw

• Better to rain now than on 1st July.

• Moving Along - What time was you thinking of starting out?

Is it worth starting a list of runners and riders for this?

• I'm not certain how far a drive it is for me (I'm guessing around 1.5/2 hours)! Happy to go with the flow and leave accordingly... anyone got any thoughts?

• Earlier the better for me, but happy to meet up at anytime

• bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭

I might be up for this, coming from SW london so a bit of a drive but provided its not a ridiculously early start I'd like to do it; better check with Mrs in the morning though! Will check back to see if a time's been agreed.

• bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭
    I have a pass, so keen for this. Anyone else from sw London type direction interested in sharing the cost? Happy to drive.
  • bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭
    Btw I could prob manage up to 17.5 for 80, but equally happy with a slower pace.
  • i'll be going down around 8 - last chance for a once over before the big day for me as the weekend after its the dambuster tri then a fortnight of short sharp shocks

• bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭

We need a time, meeting place and list!

DK suggested 8, fine by me

Can we meet and park at HP?

The following have expressed interest, possibly split into two speed groups? Apols if i've missed anyone:

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">Moving Along

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">Little Sister

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">Slow Engineer

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">Holly Golightly

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">AJ Ford

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">Golden Boots

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">JCDigger

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">Cake

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">Proven Robbie W

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">Doner Kebab

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #000000;">Bhflyer

<span style="color: #000000;"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;">Bhflyer’s brother (non-pirate but strong cyclist)

• bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭

image what is it with this forum!

We need a time, meeting place and list!

DK suggested 8, fine by me

Can we meet and park at HP?

The following have expressed interest, possibly split into two speed groups? Apols if i've missed anyone:

Moving Along

Little Sister

Slow Engineer

Holly Golightly

AJ Ford

Golden Boots

JCDigger

Cake

Proven Robbie W

Doner Kebab

Bhflyer

Bhflyer’s brother (non-pirate but strong cyclist)

<div class="forum-post-signature">  <div class="post-controls"> 
  • BHF - damn right on the list, time seems ok for me

I think 2 speed groups is a good idea, or possibly start off with the intention of completing the first lap together and maybe split after that if anyone wants to pick up the pace a bit

Intended training speed

Moving Along
    Little Sister
    Slow Engineer
    Holly Golightly
    AJ Ford
    Golden Boots
    JCDigger - 18mph
    Cake
    Proven Robbie W
    Doner Kebab
    Bhflyer

Anyonee else coming just add your names

• I'm not convinced I can make it for an 8AM start (2-3 hour trip from Suffolk) but will see what pans out over the course of this week in the hope there may be a later group.  Otherwise, I guess I'll have to suck it up.

Intended training speed

Moving Along
    Little Sister
    Slow Engineer
    Holly Golightly
    AJ Ford
    Golden Boots
    JCDigger - 18mph
    Cake
    Proven Robbie W
    - 16.5 / 17.5 mph
    Doner Kebab
    Bhflyer

• Proven Robbie W wrote (see)

I'm not convinced I can make it for an 8AM start (2-3 hour trip from Suffolk) but will see what pans out over the course of this week in the hope there may be a later group.  Otherwise, I guess I'll have to suck it up.

It's a 2+ hour trip for me as well, so I'd be interested in a later group.

I'll add myself to the list, but wont commit to anything yet, I'll see what the final arrangements are.

Intended training speed
    Moving Along
    Little Sister
    Slow Engineer
    Holly Golightly
    AJ Ford
    Golden Boots
    JCDigger - 18mph
    Cake
    Proven Robbie W - 16.5 / 17.5 mph
    Doner Kebab
    Bhflyer
    marshallini - 17-18 mph?