Thames Meander Half Marathon

You'll love the scenery on this course, it's spectacular all the way ! We will have a great race photographer, chip timing, mile markers for the half / full, really nice hot meal post race, fantastic onsite facilities and a great bespoke medal.

www.theracephotographer.com/2012/TM/index.htm

Comments

• Glad I spotted this, it sounds like it will be a really nice event.  A few of us from my running club are likely to enter.  Slightly nervous that everyone may pack up and go home before I finish, but what the heck - I'm in it just for the fun!

• I've tried looking at website but can't read it off my phone, how does it work, with the full and the half, do u all start off together or does the half start off at a different point and end up at same finishing point?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I swear that i asked this question earlier so excuse the double post... but is there a cut off time for the marathon? e.g; 6hrs?

• I've entered the half for this one, to check off one of the runs in my next marathon training cycle image

Emmy, the cut-off time is 6hrs for both the full and the half.  HannahsmomUK, the flyer says "the marathon/half heads out towards Putney Bridge and back whilst
    the half goes towards Teddington Lock and back."  So, I'm not exactly sure what it means by "marathon/half"--maybe they do one half towards Putney Bridge and then the second half towards Teddington Lock to complete the full?  I've only signed up for the half, so I'll just go wherever they tell me on the dayimage

• Well my bf and another of my friends r doing the full so didn't know whether if I signed up for half we'd actually run part of it together, I'd like to do full as I love canal running but I've not put the training in
  • I'm interested in the race after noticing this thread.  I had thought that £25 was 'a bit toppy' as I did a 20 miler for a tenner along the same bit of towpath.  Nonetheless, another marafun in London is always a good thing, and I guess that we are a bit spoilt with the pricing of that April Greenwich/Docklands one. 

Count me in!

The missus wants to see Kingston so I may get permission via that promise.

• I've entered this race, do most of my running in richmond park and love the river as well, sounds fab.

David Ross, can the organisers put up a route map, I know it's described, but I'd love to see a map if possible?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hmm... very interesting! I really like the sound of it but second Nicki's request for a map image

• Hi All, Sorry it has taken a bit of time, We have been in South Africa running the Comrades. Here is the link for the map to the marathon course the half link will appear very soon.  Any other queries then please let me or Dave know. Looking forward to meeting you all on the 25th.  http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/102157959

• Just to clarify other queries.  Both the half and full start at the same time 9.30am. The half course splits from the full after crossing the Petersham green area then follows the Thames to Teddington Lock. The full goes in the opposite direction along the Thames path to cross over Putney bridge, then back again. £25 entry for the marathon includes a bespoke medal, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Male and Female prizes and a delicious meal which is not usually available at other events.

• thanks for the maps, i'm seriously now considering the marathon, how many people have entered and do u have a cut off date?

• Hi. I do most of my running in Richmond park, Wimbledon common and along the Thames anyway, so why would I think of paying money to run this?? Cos I'm a sucker for medals! oh, and it really is lovely running around there. Any sneek previews of the bespoke medal to finally twist my arm?? wanna medal, wanna medal! gimmee, gimmee,gimmee.
  • Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Sounds really good, and is local to me. I'm inimage

• The bespoke medal is nearly ready so as soon as we have finalised the proofs and it's ready for shipment we'll post a "proof" of it on the Forum. All I can say is that it's our BEST medal yet and it will be lovely ! It won't be long until it's completely finalised ! image

• Ah, thanks for that DR5. Dribbling at the mouth already.

Just a couple of queries. Its quite a way from the place where the end of the race appears to be from the start of the race. How do we get back to the start and our cars? I suppose the food is just for full mara's too is it??
  • Hi there the long awaited TM "Medal" is now on our site www.hermesrunning.com if you look under the Thames Meander Header, hope you like it ?? The marathon if you look at the FAQ's (pretty comprehensive) is and out and back so starts at the school Marymount and goes to Putney Bridge and back again so you can leave your car in the secure car park ok. Look forward to seeing you - hope you can make it, promise you'll love it !image

• Must say Dave, that that is one very nice looking medal. Count me in!!
  • Happy days, it's 80mms in diameter and the details ie Thames Meander Half and the date are engraved on the back. Its a chunky medal alright. We just need a nice sunny day and we're A for away ! See you soonish.
  • Sounds lovely. I can almost feel it in my paws now. I have booked up, but I doubt very much, given the year so far, that we'll get a nice sunny day. Fingers crossed though. Either way, wet or dry, I'll be seeing you there!
  • Great we will be positive and hope that the sun is shining and there are Azure blue skies. I'm dreaming again I know. The good news is that we will have a full field of very spirited runners like you. We're capping it at 350 max to avoid congestion. Its going to be a great day. See you soon!
  • Hi Guys,

I'm very new to all this, have set myself a personal challenge to complete the Dublin Marathon, I have been advised to enter a half marathon though as part of my training. 

Is it mostly groups of people that know each other that go to these events? Bit nervous, not sure if I should just bite the bullet and do it alone or not do it really.

Cheers!

• Hi Steve no most people won't know each other in fact we have a multitude of people from all over the UK and abroad. You have 6 hrs for the half which you coukd actually walk it in but you wont need anywhere near this long so it will be a great training run and plenty of people around to egg you on. Definately a good idea to do a half before embarking on the Full Monty. Hope you can join us !
  • Hi Steven. Im using this run as part of my training for the Amsterdam marathon, which i think is the same weekend as Dublin. Definately a good idea to do a few half's before the big day, and this should be one of them! I'm currently doing at least one half marathon distance each week, which gets longer week by week plus some shorter runs. In general, you do get a very mixed field in these runs, so you should feel comfortable somewhere in amongst us all. Hope to see u there, and good luck in Dublin.

DR5. Maybe, just maybe, the sun really will come for us!
  • Hi David lovely medal design congratulations.  I'm still too scared to enter though I m worried about not being able to complete the course in time.  A half a half but the full is the unknown for a plodder

• Hi Twinklestar like the name its great ! Please dont worry about times too much though 6 hrs should give you ample time you could petty much walk this course in that time as its flat 95% of the way. As Muttley 2 says now we just need good weather. I will order this ok. Hope you can join us.
  • Just realised I ve posted in the half marathon and there are two threads whoops!  One for half and one for full.  I am going to try and book time off,  bite the bullet and do the full.  I must admit the people on this thread are very encouraging.  I hope thats ok David.  I will give it all I've got so that I get round in less than 6hrs as I ve never done one,  I don't know how long it takes

Twinkle

• Hi Dave. How many of the 250 places have gone so far, do you know?
  • I'm getting really excited about Saturday's race. A little nervous too, as I've managed to get shin splints so haven't been able to train the last two weeks. Any advice for last minute treatment??!! I'm trying the usual RICE. This will be my first race since a hideous Edinburgh Marathon back in May and I was hoping for a good time in the half here. Oh well, just have to see how it goes.
  • Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Just like to say that this was a great race. I appreciated the price(!), the organisation, the route AND the lovely meal afterwards. I am looking forward to next year as I would like to improve my time!