Has Runners World Forum died?

Comments

• CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    Corinthian wrote (see)

The down side is it's a stalker's paradise and petty, vindictive people all too often use the anonymity of their forum life to try to mischief make and use it as a tool for rallying like minded support for bullying purposes - the evolution of Facebook made this easier - as instead of facing down disagreements out in the open they turned to Facebook lobbying to build hate campaigns against people - by telling lies about them.  I'm not sure if I was ever a victim of that, to be honest I couldn't give two fucks if I was - but I know some people who were victims and it wasn't nice for them...

Um.... please don't get this confused with the forumite FB group anyone. I'm guessing that Corinth is talking about personal facebook users.

Confirmed... though, it's another group I took great pleasure in declining to join - anti-social contrary minded twat that I am image

• That's nice for you, I'm looking for a cleaner also!
  • Corinthian wrote, kittenkat wrote, corinthian wrote. Wtf DID write the bloody thing!!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Weird responses when some of us were trying to post something sensible!

Oh well, that's forums.  Or is it fora?

See you some of you in an event somewhere. Perhaps.

[Exits clubhouse]

T Rex image

• Blisters - have you seen http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/pirate-summer-social-/193456.html?  It's an oppurtunity for you to meet your inspiration to Tri image

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

I'll sort location out in a few weeks when we've a better idea of numbers, but it'll be somewhere central.

Just to be clear, you dont have to be a pirate / doing Ironman to come along.  I know there are lots of other people who post on the tri forum, so if you want to come along youre most welcome.

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭

No real need for swearing, Dreamtwister

I think there are a few factors here.  As others have noted, people these days have plenty of other means to discuss, argue, vent or insult - ten years ago, this was really the first well-structured discussion forum many of us had seen.  Also, the world's politics are perhaps less polarising than they were 10 years ago.

I still like the forums but almost entirely for running-related matters, which is really what it's here for.

• TownerTowner ✭✭✭

why are people getting uptight about a forum?....if you dont want to read the non running threads....DONT. (radical new idea eh?)

and heres another thought....if you want to read the threads strictly about running....READ THEM........genius.image

in reply to the original question, yea, it does seem to be less busy on the "new discussion" side of things,  but like many others i tend to post frequently on the same few threads and look for relevent sounding ones if i have a question to ask or some sort of opinion/advice to give.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    uptight?

I think that may be a wider issue. I don't think anyone is particularly uptight. There are people reading too much into what people have written which says more about the reader than the writer.

Generally more people seem a lot more stressed but that's what happens in a recession. Maybe the politicians need to be a bit more polarised, but I think were on the brink of civil/European war as it is. Last August was quite worrying.
  • On the brink of a civil war ???? image 

What are the sides going to be ? (need to know you see, as if neighbour is on opposing side, think I may get in a bit of a pre-emptive strike).

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Watching Sky news and reading the Daily Mail, it'll be Chavs verses the rest.image

When you have people willing to go out on the streets to stop 'rioting' and looting because the police are too worried about how they will look in the media it's a sad state of affairs.

If Greece, Spain etc collapse we will see a huge influx of migrant workers and there's nothing we can do because of the European rules. When the Chavs can't get any work because the Europeans are working for less than minimum wage and the government closes even more facilities to pay for the unemployment. That's when it will get nasty.
  • Stop being so bigoted TimR. You are slightly less obnoxious licking up to the women in here than you are looking down your noses at people and labelling them Chavs. No offence
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that I should be looking up to people who get out riot, loot and make a difference to the world. I mean at least they're not stuck indoors moaning about life on forums.
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    For the record, I've never labelled anyone a chav.
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    As for being bigoted, you should read my post at 13:13 then read the first line that I wrote in my beautiful synopsis of the forthcoming civil war.
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Well, I say beautiful, I think it is anyway.

How's my post count coming on. I've got nothing planned today. How many do I need to win and what do I win?
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure she can. To me a chav is someone who spends money on shiny things to look richer than they are, but completely misses the point and ends up being tacky and looking tasteless.

The Queen spends huge amounts of money and still manages to look like she's been down Marks'.
  • I've largely stopped posting on here. There's one or two posters who get on my nads and a few too many trolls and forum queens. Now I largely post on chicken-rearing forums.
  • On this thread. There have been references to middle class women and chavs, references which I have interpreted as negative. This raises the question of the socio-economic profile of RW forum users, runners in general and within types of event, are there comparisons to be drawn. Looking around me on the start line of various events I suggest that the cross section is skewed in various ways. Also there are changes over time... having taken a break from running, the proportion of women taking part in small town 10Ks seems to have gone through the roof. This is excellent news for the health of the nation and for medical charities (not wishing to stereotype). How much of this can be traced back to Race for Life? Are there female posters out there who were inspired in this way?
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

My first race was a Race for Life, but it wasn't the reason I took up running.  Instead I started running and then looked for a goal to aim for and the advert for the Race for Life happened to be stuck on the noticeboard at the gym.

My second race was a local 10k that was also advertised on the same noticeboard.

• Goals do help motivate training. Your 10K, were you sponsored?
  • I don't like segregation and for that reason, I don't like the exclusion of men from races for life.