Nike Free

I'm looking to buy some Nike free trainers as everyday trainers but what do the different + versions mean? Are they different models or different levels of cushioning? (i mean the +2 or +3 that I have seen after the name)

Comments

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Nike Frees are different to Nike Free Run

Nike Free run are a good trainer to use when building up milge and trying to strengthen your feet, for example when starting running or getting over a foot injury. This if you want a less supportive show and go down the minimalist route.
    They have quite a substantial heel and I think are designed for heel strikers.

I bought a pair after I injured my foot. Just don't ask how, it waasn't running. image

The Nike Free are a different kettle of fish altogether.

Nike Free 7; 5 and 3. The lower the number the more minimalist the shoe.

• Cheers for the info......

What does the +3 in these mean then?

http://m.jdsports.co.uk/mt/www.jdsports.co.uk/product/nike-free-run+3/40900/

I probably wouldn't run in them, just use them for every day trainers....... What do you think?
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

the plus means Nike +, ie there is a little hole under the sockliner for the Nike pod thing to track your runs if you want to use Nike plus to do that.

if you just want everyday trainers buy the cheapest you can find unless you are turned on by how they look.

oh just checked out your link - really £80 image I bought mine for £40 You really would need to want to waste your money.

http://www.achillesheel.co.uk/sale-road/m/nike/

• So, from the top...

Nike originally the Free to be a shoe that would mimic barefoot running on grass.

And when running barefoot on a soft surface, people still tend to heel strike which is why the Nike Free shoes still have some cushioning under the heel.

The numbering system assumes 0.0 is barefoot and 10.0 is a regular running shoe.

The other number in the name is the version number of that shoe.

As of April 2012 we are up to:

Nike Free 3.0 V4 (version 4)

Nike Free 4.0 V2 (version 2)

Nike Free Run+ 2 (5.0) (version 2)

The Nike Free Run was always the most cushioned in the series and didn't previously have a *.0 number attributed to it. The first version I put at around a 6.0 or 7.0, but the new version 2 has 5.0 moulded onto its midsole. As mentioned above, the + in the shoe's name means it is the only one that can accomodate the Nike+ Speed & Distance chip.

• Nike Free+ 3 is -I guess you could say- the flagship shoe of the Free range. So it's actually a 5.0 (Lots of cushioning) but V3. Everybody has already explained the rest very well!

What I found out recently by accident from a Nike rep is that the new Nike Free+ 3 is actually more cushioned in the medial side of the shoe than previous versions, so it is better for mild overpronators, and no longer considered a "neutral" shoe. If you are a neutral runner it may be best to buy a Free Run+ 2 while they're still available.

If you are into fashion and looking into everyday trainers, take a look at these:

Nike Kukini

Nike Free Run 5.0 V4

Nike Huarache

They're all fashion shoes with a Free Run sole. image

A

• Thanks for the info, got some free run +2, very comfortable. Initially I was thinking of wearing them for day to day use but I will definitely be trying them out on a shorter run!
  • I wear Nike Frees. I started off (coming from Asics Foundation 8's which were maximum support trainers) with Nike Free +3 and then went down to Nike TR+ Fit which have less support and a more flexible sole, I am now onto Vivo Barefoot trainers.

I am not normally a big fan of Nike because I think they hide a lot of nasty stuff behind their happy looking branded store, (a bit like the McDonalds of the fitness wear world!) but they do make these trainers quite well and they are quite well thought out. You can start from 5 or 7 and work your way down quite well, really something only Innovate had thought of as the other brands seem to only really have one main sole for minimal support and no clear way to  work your way down to them.

• Cheers, I must admit I love the feel of them compared to my asics cumulus 12s. I'm still going to run my long runs in my asics but I'm definitely going to try the free runs out on shorter runs.

I was looking at the adizero as a similar style shoe if I like the feel of less cushioning, not sure that I want to venture too minimal!