Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Phil, I think Marlow is the fastest, and then maybe Maidenhead, so favourite is one of those 2. But Marlow falls awkwardly 2 days after the 2 Wycombe races. I remember doing the Wycombe half and then the Datchet 5k 2 days later in 2010, but it's not ideal...and takes a lot of deep heat to fend off the DOMS.

SG, Wycombe Half is day after a league match 5000m and I want to improve on last year's 5000 time of 17:49 so won't do either Wycombe race, then fly to USA so won't do Marlow. My 5k PB is 17:52 at Maidenhead so I am tempted to say it is short too. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

SG/Philip - how do you get into the TVARC series races? Do you have to be a guest runner similar to the xc races?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Maidenhead is one of those courses that changes every year, a bit like Datchet, although that one often comes out long! To tell the truth I want to do a fast 5k road race to wipe the Maidenhead one away to make sure!

When i actually jogged the Maidenhead route last year, it's not the best....a dirt track half lap, grass, twisty sharp turns, really rough offroad section, slight incline near the end etc. Only a 1k section on road is super quick. I think someone described the series as being "fun" courses rather than any being quick.

In the best traditions of yourself, I looked up the 5,000m times of the front 2 today..Fabian Downs, and Thomas Beedell, compared them to their best road times, and then to today's result...

Runner,          5k track        5k road         today's 5k
    Fabian D        14:58              15:07            16:07
    Thomas B       15:13              15:56            16:19

That gives plenty of back up to me and Bus whinging it was a slow course image

Today actually made power of 10 amazing! A bootleg little race with 70 runners!

You're now looking at the 1176 fastest 5k man in the country image

(even if my 5k record shows a shocking slowing each year from 2010 on my record!)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, exactly that old son...just turn up with Phil, and £3 yourself in. ..just don't expect anything fast! Though i'd say faster than today's course at all but Handy Cross to come...

and shame then Phil, missing the Wycombe ones...big race on trhe calendar, but all priorities really isn't it...if you have a chance to crack a short distance pb, it's one that probably shouldn't be put off!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

apologies....Fabian's 5k road is 15.52 Set at Charndon.

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Yeah 17:20 is quick but I think given the right day I'll nail it. 17:2x would be a result though! We've done lots of KM repeats at 3K pace this summer so I feel I've got a decent bit of speed in me.

Tomorrows session is a toughie:

1000 (@3k) (2 mins) 5 x 200 (@1500 ) (60 secs) (2 mins) 1000 (2 mins) 5 x 200 (60 secs) ( 2 mins ) 1000 image

So the KM in 3:20 and the 200's in 38 (I think they will come out quicker at 36's)

• The Bus wrote (see)

Cheers Luvsa. What's the 10k?

Good news - results are out and the official time is 17:59 image

Bus- it's the first of 3 Yateley series. I think Dach's is doing it too.

You can tell SG's back with the sudden thread activity!image 

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

and shame then Phil, missing the Wycombe ones...big race on the calendar, 

but it isn't a big race. It isn't po10, it isn't fast, it isn't particularly pleasant (as soon as I crossed the line there was an old guy retching behinf me) and it isn't a quality field. Last year there were only 4 sub-75 and that includes the oddity that is Anuradha. Only pro is that it is Bucks Champs but last year I was first V40 and got zilch: bus wins v40 today and gets a cup. I may do the Bucks 10k at Bearbrook but that is po10 and a bit more quality.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

First of my Metropolitan Summer League races next week. Dulwich Park 10k. When I think about the courses in this league I realise there's barely a hill in any of them. Only part of the day I don't enjoy is the relay after the main race, its only 250m to 350m but I lose shed loads of time to the sprinters who've lost shed loads of time to me earlier on. Lucky for me is that my lad who's 15 is the fastest of all. The races seem to make po10 as well.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

and shame then Phil, missing the Wycombe ones...big race on the calendar, 

but it isn't a big race. It isn't po10, it isn't fast, it isn't particularly pleasant (as soon as I crossed the line there was an old guy retching behinf me) and it isn't a quality field. Last year there were only 4 sub-75 and that includes the oddity that is Anuradha. Only pro is that it is Bucks Champs but last year I was first V40 and got zilch: bus wins v40 today and gets a cup. I may do the Bucks 10k at Bearbrook but that is po10 and a bit more quality.

Who are you calling an old bloke?!

You do get your picture in the BFP, a bright orange 'tech' T shirt and a plastic bag filled with stuff you don't need though image

As for quality field, it does occasionally have some quality runners up front, though not for a while, but this year Claire Hallisey is running it as part of her Olympic prep.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, those are some paces that makes my legs want to stop reading! I think you'll definitely overtake a few of us on here in the next year or so, as your improvement rate isn't slowing down, whereas some of us are striving to take buttons off. (can i still play that card? image)

Luvsa, I have been waffling...apologies!

Phil, depends how you define a big race! Of course it's no London, no Reading half, no Wokingham half, big races by field and huge quality affairs.

But to people in this area, I'd say it's a big local event. Power of 10 doesn't matter to most, and it's a good thing it's not really, as the much slower times would stain our records!

Thinking back to the years between 2002-2006, there were some utter scorchers too. I think the last 5 or so years have been pretty lucky with the mild weather. Sub 75 on that course is pretty superb running, as for my money you'd need to be in the ub 72-73 minimum class to do that.

As for trophies, they can be a right lottery.  The race yesterday was 70 strong...and yet they had individual trophies for the men and women's teams! I mean behave, there was only one team for both gender racing!! Chiltern Harriers funnily enough, having also taken places 1 to 3, and 5 to 7, and having about 25 other runners in the field!

I'm not a fan of giving out stacks of minor prizes (no disrespect to the FV65 etc, when 2nd in the actual race gets nothing!)

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - you just finished 4th after a big layoff. Plenty to be proud of. 

For the record i came to this thread and after reading your times and training i completely reorganised my training and joined a club.  Hell i even gave up footy after your advice.  So you could argue your times/training and successes helped give me the jump start i needed.  So, i ask myself who is the type of person i want to read about and share running highs/lows with?  its certainly not some snidey b-atch who nobody would follow on a dark night if he had the only torch.  

• The Bus wrote (see)
    As for quality field, it does occasionally have some quality runners up front, though not for a while, but this year Claire Hallisey is running it as part of her Olympic prep.

Got chicked by two last year, don't want a third this year.

Stevie G . wrote (see)

Phil, depends how you define a big race! Of course it's no London, no Reading half, no Wokingham half, big races by field and huge quality affairs.

But to people in this area, I'd say it's a big local event. Power of 10 doesn't matter to most, and it's a good thing it's not really, as the much slower times would stain our records!

As for trophies, they can be a right lottery.  The race yesterday was 70 strong...and yet they had individual trophies for the men and women's teams! I mean behave, there was only one team for both gender racing!! Chiltern Harriers funnily enough, having also taken places 1 to 3, and 5 to 7, and having about 25 other runners in the field!

I'm not a fan of giving out stacks of minor prizes (no disrespect to the FV65 etc, when 2nd in the actual race gets nothing!)

Yes it is a big local race, but nowadays that doesn't mean a lot. In the day, every club ran a couple of races and every club member ran those races so a local race was a big head to head. Now if you are paying serious money (and I have to admit Wycombe is only £11 so among the cheapest) then you have to pick and choose and cast your net wider and as soon as a few people start to do that then you loose the event of the occasion. I look for a quality field as I run better in a race where there are others round to race against: if I am 30 seconds down on the guy in front and 30 ahead of the one behind it doesn't get the best out of me.

Trophies and prizes are odd: I don't really chase them much but county medals are nice to get and it was odd to come first v40 and get nothing. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Deano image

Phil, you'd have loved yesterday then...lost sight of 3rd about 2k in, and  5th was14seconds behind, which is a good 80 or so metres at 5k pace.

The 10k race makes the first 3miles of the half a bit more of a cavalry charge, as you don't really know who is in which race. It is a real trawl of a return from Bourne End back to the Rye though...a really tough race to keep any kind of consistent pace going.

V40 1st place at the half getting nothing seems wrong, are you sure something wasn't missed there?! Even the team prize is £10 per person for 2nd place team in the 10k!!

ps just checked that Claire Hallisey's record. 1hr 12 for a half, 6th fastest in the country last year, 26th fastest half of all time for British women.

Why on earth would she do a very hilly, potentially hot half in mid July for Olympic prep?!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

V40 1st place at the half getting nothing seems wrong, are you sure something wasn't missed there?! 

Why on earth would she do a very hilly, potentially hot half in mid July for Olympic prep?!

It was first Bucks v40 and not first overall.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ahh well that's another story image

Although I do vividly remember watching Ultra Gregory get a massive plate and £50 at the Heley 10k one year, and sitting through loads of random little prizes like first V40 woman who lives in a certain postcode, while I got jack all for 2nd in the race!

Anyway...nice 10miler done down Marlow way. Considerately the weather stayed dry until the second i'd finished.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

<wanders into fast thread>

On the Claire H front, on the basis of stuff in AW and on the American RW site she wanted a race 3 weeks out from the Olympic marathon and so Marlow it is.

<waves at PMJ and StevieG>

<wanders back out of fast thread>

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Joolska...feel free to stay around...

Wycombe i take it? Not Marlow? That's in November...

Phil, Wycombe had a good rep...it's been won by Huw Lobb, John McFarlane, Cooray, all internationals, all in trhe last 6 years or so. I'm sure there was some African top runner too who won it a bit before my time, but he entered on the day so didn't claim the prize...i vaguely remember something like that...

• Joolska wrote (see)

<wanders into fast thread>

On the Claire H front, on the basis of stuff in AW and on the American RW site she wanted a race 3 weeks out from the Olympic marathon and so Marlow it is.

<waves at PMJ and StevieG>

<wanders back out of fast thread>

Jools, well as you and Claire are both B&W, if you find a thrid and fourth you would win the team prize hnds down. Last year it was 7:37 combined time.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Yes, obviously I meant Wycombe - sorry to mess up my Bucks geography exam (and if they're not both in Bucks, double fail...)!  No half marathons for me until late Sept, PMJ, so no B&W team prize this time.

Stevie: I can just about keep up with the sub-3 and sub-3.15 threads - afraid I only skim-read yours sporadically (although clearly I have time on my hands this afternoon).

Fast thread? Not with me knocking about it's not! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Fair dos Jools. To be honest if you only do 1 or 2 halves a year, a hilly hot one in mid July probably isn't the best idea. I usually do the 10k version just because i'd feel ridiculous missing it living so close.

Stevie, i took the word fast as being the turnover of pages...not pace!

Oh right ha ha, maybe she has a point then! Back to school for me image

Today I did:

AM - 4 miles easy (ish)

PM  - session: 1000 (@3k) (2 mins) 5 x 200 (@1500 ) (60 secs) (2 mins) 1000 (2 mins) 5 x 200 (60 secs) ( 2 mins ) 1000

Splits: 1k (3:23), 200 (all 36), 1k (3:23), 200 (36's with a 35) last 1k (3:23).

Into a massive wind and rain too so I'm happy as after the first K I wanted an excuse to stop! 200's were quicker than 1500 pace but then they always are. The middle 1k was all out effort and I managed a final 3:23 with a sprint finish.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, your sessions are making me feel inadequate again image

Although maybe not as inadequate as the thread on the general tab...to do with short shorts...check it out before someone deletes it for being a hoax!

Back on the proper schedule tomorrow, after 2-3months of basically slowly building back up. Starts with a day off image

Good news SG, what distance will your sessions be geared towards? Those track sessions are hard as hell, nice easy day tomorrow before a 5k outing on Thursday me thinks. Looking at some of the guys round here who ran Wokingham, I think next year I may make the journey. Any quick 10k coming soon near you souther boys? Not a lot knocking about here till Sep/Nov.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SS - on the 24th june there is a fast 10k in Stone.  Im looking for a PB there.  Good session tonight too!   im on an easy week as i dont feel 100% and i have a very hilly half this sunday.  I applied at the beginning of the yr when HM were my focus.  Now it all seems a long way to runimage

• Sort of OK last night: headlines read 5k in 18:41 which is just outside 6 m/m pace but the wind and rain brought a tree down so the course had to be changed and there is no knowing how long the course really was: Garmin says long and actually 5:56 pace. The course is basically two laps: run away from the start and downhill, then pay for it with an uphill section, then repeat but this time more down and so more up at the end. Splits were 3:20, 3:40, 3:55 (first uphill), 3:45 and 4:00 (second time).

Rain was a big issue, it was chucking it down before and so the roads were flooded and long, deep puddles made it more like a steeple chase, with tight turns etc not helping either.

Still not quite right but 6 minute pace on a tough, undulating, wet course looks better than 6:10 last week on a flat and dry one, hope I can turn it round fully for a track 5000 on Saturday.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, I believe we have some fast 10ks in Oxfordshire in Nov-December. Bus and others have done a couple. There is a 10k called the South Bucks 10k which is pretty flat, last year it was unfortunately in hot weather, but thats the luck of the draw.

Wokingham is worth doing, a local hub event, and one you get a real quality field at. A long way for you to come, but is generally a quality thread meet up. Reading is another big half down here. Much bigger scale than Wokingham, huge atmosphere, 2nd only to Great North Run in the country's half marathon pecking order. When I did Reading 5 weeks after Wokingham in 2010 i came out 90secs slower, but I'm not sure it was a fair test, as i'd spent a week injured off work (let alone off running), and it felt like the work was done with the big effort at Wokingham. Would be interesting to have a real go at Reading one year too.

Phil, decent effort, i read the email about the re-vised route, and sounds like you got bad conditions too. The start gives you a right turbo blast off, and then the abrupt short sharp hill stops you dead, especially that one right at the finish, where you literally see your good time crumble away!

ps Stevie, sorry, i've making up for 3months of non wittering by saying loads, but didn't actually answer your question! Not 100% sure what the next actual target is, but i did set some targets at the start of the year (why did i do that image ), but i'd imagine a couple more 5ks in the next 2months maybe, probably the Wycombe 10k, and then some top targets in the Sep-Nov range. I'll then really look forward to the XC series, and hopefully being 100% top form in them this year, rather than 85% as per last year

• Firstly welcome back Stevie G and good first race back

Secondly well done all those who have raced over the last 2 weeks sons great results continue

Thirdly sorry for lack if postings but whilst I've been sorting hamstring out difficult to post as always sound like I'm moaning image

Anyway now run for last 5 days and hammy holding up pretty good since Saturday I've managed the following after 2 weeks were I managed 20 miles in total

Sat - 5 miles (7.17 pace)

Sun - 6.5 (6.47 pace)

Mon - 6.5 (6.20 pace)

Tue - 7.5 (6.29 pace) and

Today - 7.75 (6.32 pace)

Legs feeling a little heavy but feel moving in right direction dont plan any speedwork until next week which no doubt will be the real test !!