Dartmoor Discovery

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Richie - I was told by a clubmate that the race starts at Ashburton. Sure enough last year a group of 6 - 8 of us arrived at Ashburton and only 2 of us were left after the climb! I wouldnt call it a monster climb but if you have thrashed yourself on the run from Princetown to Ashburton it will sting a bit and leave you with a tough 20 miles to go image

• Talk about the race starting at Ashburton -  it was amazing how much time I lost over the section to Widecombe in the Moor, my average took a nose dive! I think I was then only about 20 minutes inside the cut off at the marathon point. I too walked all the climbs, many seemed to "stroll" up and I overtook a good number on this section and never saw them again.

Thankfully I recovered a bit and managed to pull back some on the return to Two Bridges - what a sight to behold by that point!

• Unfortunately I'm injured so if anyone is seeking an entry please get in touch.

• Wib - you are right that the Ashburton hill is the key. As you say it can be run at that stage, but as it is so long you wear yourself out doing so. It is too long to walk most of it. I think I will try a run/walk split and not worry about the time I lose on the hill. As long as I get to Postbridge and the main road running or shuffling at a rate I can sustain until the finish I will be very happy.

• Richie H - sounds like a good plan!.........................only 2 weeks to go! I hope the weather is kind this year! I've ordered 10 deg.C with a slight cooling breeze!

• Sounds like excellent advice on the hills.  I normally run somewhere around 4 hours for a flat(ish) marathon so I figure an average 9m45 mile plus a bit of run/walking on the hills would get me in under the cutoff.  6 hours 29 minutes would be good enough for me, although I'd love my finishing time to start with 5.

• Hi guys did this race 2 years ago great race . last week I ran from ashburton to princetown about 19 miles great run the first 13 miles are mostly down hill with one massive hill you have to walk. Dartmoor today is hot hot hot get used to drinking lots while running and utilise the drinks stops with your own drinks search for corps reviver a DIY sports drink. image
  • Hi guys did this race 2 years ago great race . last week I ran from ashburton to princetown about 19 miles great run the first 13 miles are mostly down hill with one massive hill you have to walk. Dartmoor today is hot hot hot get used to drinking lots while running and utilise the drinks stops with your own drinks search for corps reviver a DIY sports drink. image
  • Posted 3 times still can't get used to me new iPad image
  • Looking good, no stress fracture, no pain now, a few shortish runs this weekend went pretty good, now if I can make a decent long run in the morning I am definitely still in

• Glad for you Karen - me on the other hand is defo out.

Have checked the transfer list and no one left, if you know anyone let me know and we can arrange transfer.  Hubby is doing this so if no one can take it i;ll let them know on the day.

Good luck all.

• Hmmmm, 4.5 hr completed with a run walk, leg hurt at the end but a bit of rolling and a bit of icing I should be good to go, this race is definitely my last long run for a few months. Physios and medics and people that know best would probably tell me not to run, but hey 12 days to go yet and I'm not planning on doing much more before then, i'm not limping so reckon I should give it a shot.

Tired Legs, have you picked up a late injury? Cant believe theres no one waiting do do this, have you emeailed the organisers to let them know, there may be a local or club runner that they know wants to run.

• Green PeteGreen Pete ✭✭✭

Really hope the weather get's better for Saturday...It's chucking it down today...

• I'm expecting 15 degs and some rain. If it was a marathon, not across the moors, I would wear T-shirt and shorts and a hat. But as it's unknown territory, should I be carrying extra gear with me in case things get nasty in the exposed bits? The moors that is, not my own exposed bits.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I will be going for vest and shorts as normal.

• You hard man you.

Looks like it'll be the same as it was for 3 Forts a few weeks ago. Wet, cold, windy... just the way I like it for a weekend away!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Well we wont exactly be in the middle of nowhere, a lot of the route is in cover of trees, high bushes down lanes and such like so wind won't be too bad... and its not going to be reeeaaally cold is it.... is it!?!? If it is I will accept that I was wrong image

3 Forts was lovely weather image

• so what numbers are you lot.  I'll be driving round cheering you al on image

• I don't know what my number is.  Is there an easy way of finding out?

Also, I seem to remember reading that an email would be sent out to all runners closer to the event.  Has anybody received anything?  I'm getting really excited for this now - it's not easy to focus on anything else this week.

I had a email last Wednesday, basically explaining stuff in more detail.

• We're heading down tomorrow to camp at the Feathers, but how on earth we're going to get the tent up in the forecast wind/rain, I don't know!

Don't know my number yet, but if you keep an eye out for the brown collie from my avatar pic, you should find me or Mr f at the other end of the lead image

I'm tempted to camp on the Saturday night and head to the party, really depend on how i feel though..

• I keep reading the weather forecast for Princetown for Saturday. Currently it looks like the rain only starts in the afternoon. Another incentive to get a move on!

• I've not received an email. I've entered and plan to turn up, register and run. Anything I need to know that isn't on the website? Ah, the weather.....

• John - I emailed the race organiser today about the missing email and he forwarded it on to me.  I don't think there's anything on there that isn't on the website so if you've read that and you've got the magazine, you should be fine.

As for the weather, my recollection of Dartmoor from the times I've been there is that you'll get all of it, sun, rain, wind and it wouldn't surprise me to see snow!

I'm reading a book about Dartmoor prison at the moment and I've just read a passage about someone who escaped, ran away, got lost in the fog, ran about 30 miles only to find himself back at the prison gates in Princetown.  Sound familiar to anyone?

Wow what can i say..Brilliant event, massive thanks to the Teignbridge Trotters who put on a faultless event.. I'll be back next year that's for sure..

What happened to David James though?? Thought he was gonna give out the prizes???

• Awesome event - had an absolute ball and the supporters along the route and marshals were fantastic. Did better than I dared hope off a month's training, so very, very happy image
  • The event didn't disappoint - did it? Was tough as I recalled from last year, great support and organisation - I was handed all sorts of stuff out on the course: the usual like bananas, jelly babies and jaffa cakes but also hot tea and a slug of beer at Postbridge!

Thankfully the weather wasn't too bad and was able to run in shorts and vest, but my sunnies kept steaming up so I dispensed of them!

Even managed a little bop at the post-race disco!

• It was a brilliant event, my first foray into ultra running and enjoyed every moment of it. The organisation was suberb so big thank yous to the Teignbridge Trotters who did themselves proud. Supporters and marshals were fantastic and they must have been cold, the little extra touches like having your personal drinks ready for you and the marshall shouting my name from his list really made a difference, no doubt I shall be back again when my calves stop screaming at me - those hills were nasty!