Marshal question

Hi

Im a volunteer marshall for a triathlon this weekend and my marshall title is: Swim Transition Results runner. This is my first time....what does this mean? What are my duties likely to be?
Any tips/advice greatfuly recieved.
Many Thanks. 

Comments

• IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Sounds like you're going to be busy with all that to do in your title!  I've done volunteering a few times & they will tell you when you arrive exactly what you need to do and where you need to be so don't stress too much.  Volunteering can involve anything from checking people in at registration, checking people into & out of transition, marshalling on the course, collecting chips at the finish line & handing out medals etc etc.

My advice would be to wear comfortable shoes & have a really good look at the weather forecast & dress accordingly!  Don't forget that even if it's not wet / cold if you are say a marshall you will be standing for long periods not doing much so take an extra layer just in case.  If it's a long event / depending on time of day they may feed you but they should have made you aware of that already but either way probably a good idea to take a water bottle with you (I do anyway).

As I said you will receive all the instructions you need for the job on the day so really just make sure you know what personal bits you might need to take / cover off and then it's just a case of putting your best cheering face on for the job & have fun!! image

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Results runner tends to be the person who ferries the results from point A (I'm guessing the swim transition) to point B the person who is processing the results. It shouldn't be too scary when you get there. Enjoy :0)
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

They tend to record each swimmers time and race number as they come out of the water, or enter transition.  When they have a full page the runner is expected to take them to whoever is entering the info into the database.  Dispite being called a runner, there is no urgency to get the results there so often a gentle amble is satisfactory, but be prepared to be on your feet all day and wear comfy shoes.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

and smile!!

nothing worse than marshals with miserable faces