An ex-smoker...

Hi Guys

Im new to this!! Im currently 29 years old and i gave up my 14 year smoking habbit about 10 weeks ago.

I have just started running, and im really enjoying it. Only one problem though...

I can only run for a couple of minutes before becoming out of breath. This is clearly because of being lazy and smoking too much for all those years. But i was just wondering if anyone had any tips to increase my fitness levels.

Nice to meet you all by the way image

Comments

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Hello image

Excellent decision to quit smoking - well done!

I'm guessing you already know the answer to your question - just keep at it! There aren't any shortcuts to fitness, you need to put in the time and the effort. 

Is running the only activity you do? Challenging your body with various exercises is a good idea - it gets different muscles working and challenges the cardiovascular system in different ways, plus it helps to prevent boredom image Swimming, biking, gym classes, rock climbing, skuba diving... whatever you fancy really image

Another thing - it could be that you need to drop your pace whilst your body adapts to running training. go too hard and too fast, and you're more likely to get out of breath and not be able to sustain it! What sort of runs are you doing? Distance/time?

• It's a good idea to have a schedule to follow. You could Google c25k "couch to 5K" or look for a beginners 5k plan on the training tab above.
  • Hi there MJH187

I've been running for about 2 years now but just recently started browsing the runners world website.  when i saw your post i signed up for an account just so i could reply.

I'm 35 now and i smoked for 20 years before i quit around 2-3 years ago.  I say 2-3 years ago because i was trying to stop for about 5 years before i finally did it for good - i think i last had a ciggie probably just under 2 years ago.  I had to quit because my lungs were wrecked and it was just making me so depressed.   I was also overweight and drinking too much.   I still have to use asthma inhalers but my asthma developed in the first place due to smoking.   When i first started trying to get fit i could only run for a couple of minutes before i had to walk for a bit.  After a while i could run 1k without stopping.  I decided to keep at it and last year i did my first 10k in the spring in under and hour then signed up for the Great North Run in Sept 2011.  I did the GNR in 2 hours without stopping and a couple of weeks ago i did the Edinburgh half in 1.52.  I have just signed up for my first full marathon (Liverpool, near where i live) in Oct this year and i'm setting myself a target of 4h 30m.  The time doesn't matter though - my brother and best mate do full marathons and are way faster than that, but they never smoked and weren't overweight like me - and i reckon i get as much of an adreleine buzz and sense of achievement as them or anyone else.  It really does feel so good when you can run a few miles without stopping and run what feels 'fast' to yourself.  Just take it one step at a time, get the mental motivation to keep going at it and when you get over the physical 'pain barrier' and start getting fit you'll just know it was a good idea to get into running.  

• TID says it all!!!!

I am like him, ex smoker who started running and have never looked back, believe me you will find that your fitness levels improve quickly doing 1k will turn to 5k and further if you want just as long as you keep at it. It WILL happen just keep at it.

My biggest regret is trying to run faster than my ability, until you get fitter run nice and slowly. So slow that you can hold a full conversation with someone, do that for a few months and enjoy it. Running yourself ragged initially I always found counter productive and puts you off to be honest.

Joing a running club or running with friends will also make it easier for you, it will keep you motivated.  And dont feel intimidated joing a running club, everyone who runs understands you need to start somewhere and they will ensure you dont feel left out. People who run will respect your efforts, you will see that very quickly.

Good luck

• I like to have this picture as my screen background:

http://blisstree.com/files/2007/06/smoking_timeline_500x370.gif