Being a good supporter

Friend is doing outlaw. I'm supporting and have really no idea of what they want from me. They don't let on,  are fairly independant but I'm sure on the day will accept the help that they haven't indicated might be useful image 

I can't imagine how I'm going to get around the course to see them, where will be the best place to be and what should I carry apart from a defibrillator...

So what would you want from me if I was supporting you?

Comments

• Scream every last ounce of breath from your lungs and don't reserve that treatment just for the person you've come to support.

Beer and an adrenalin injection.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    OW wrote (see)

So what would you want from me if I was supporting you?

chicken soup on the run - it's the best pick me up after drinking and eating your way through sweet sickly stuff all day

• The biggest motivator is just being there. I passed my friend spectating at 100 miles last year. I was in a real low, and he had just about managed to get to see me. It's irrational how much that picks you up, but don't worry about that. Just get out there and cheer. image

• come and join the pirate feed station, then you can throw bottles at your friend

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Just a friendly face waving and cheering, really.  That's all I want from supporters.

• Cheer and wave at everyone. Try and be at the finish line with a bag full of goodies and strong arms to carry them home image

• Pork pies, chicken soup and Guinness..... oookay 

Silent Assasin - planning that already, Just not sure if I would be expected to be at the swim, at the 50 mile bike mark, at the 100 mile mark and dotted around the run course.... not sure I'm fit enough for this!

So no special rules about hovering anywhere at any particular point - just turn up and scream?

• lots of shouting and screaming and you are amazing and LOOKING GREAT and maybe even a really big embarassing banner!!!

on both my recent 26.2 (IM in training), i knew exactly which miles my friends/support were going to be at. I can not tell you the boost it gave me knowing where they were going to be. I texted them a piccie on the morning of the race of my outfit, so they knew what to look out for. I also gave them strict red and black jelly babies in a freezer bag instructions for collection when i sped past image At this years VLM they were first at mile 17 and no suprise that mile 16 was my quickest!!! they were also at mile 23 and then the end, at which point i had hugs and was told how flippin amazing i had run (despite missing my target by 26 seconds) then one of them produced a bottle of Corona for me!!! i nearly cried!!!

i supported two friends recently at a half IM and i didnt know what either of them were wearing/which bikes they had so i didnt spot them till the run!!! oops!

• OW - at the Pirate feed station, which is at mile 60.5 and 83.5 (its on the loop), I think the plan will be to wave people off at the swim start, leg it up to the bike feed station, see everyone through twice and then leg it back to watch people finish. So should see people at least four times - come and join us! image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

"I also gave them strict red and black jelly babies"

• Just let then know that after the finish you will be there and sort everything, carry everything and get them home. Let's them get on and bury themselves in event knowing afterwards someone will sort it.

After event take control, issue orders, they will comply.
  • m.eface wrote (see)
    After event take control, issue orders, they will comply.

• Yep - Shuffle get telling me to drink beer after IMR and I just followed orders.

But when beat after event somebody to guide you to eat, collect kit, drink beer, is useful.
  • Be a top sherpa

- help carrying bags down to T1 theday before

- help carrying bottles / nutrition for the bike down to T1 on race morning

Not getting bored in the race. Its areally long day for supporters , and being enthusiatsic on laps 2 and 3 is when they will really need a shout

Most important, carrying bike and bags back after the race

Sharing a beer afterwards. image
  • In no particular order - remain calm whilst they wibble, up to and including a medicinal slap if needed, carry things, double check their packing/transition checklists, be out on the course wherever you can to yell supportive if not necessary true things, and be in the finish chute with a camera and a cold beer. Avoid Pirates, or you'll find yourself signed up and looking for a sherpa next year image

The one time I've sherpa'd, for a friend doing Blenheim sprint, I think I was more nervous than he was!

• RafikiD wrote (see)

OW - at the Pirate feed station, which is at mile 60.5 and 83.5 (its on the loop), I think the plan will be to wave people off at the swim start, leg it up to the bike feed station, see everyone through twice and then leg it back to watch people finish. So should see people at least four times - come and join us! image

Raf - we will need to set the feed station up and make the bottles ready for the first cyclist through (at whatever time I posted on the support thread).  It may not be possible for everyone to watch the swim start.