Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• I'm signed up for this one. It is a lovely race with great PB potential. Anyone who hasn't done it before is in for a treat.

I just need my legs to recover from Comrades and then it will be time to knuckle down and focus on the 2:39 target. Still more than 18 weeks to go so plenty of time to get lots of training in over the summer.

• Chillies -  Well done on the South Downs. Looks like a tough day out.

Talking of hills welcome Warren, congrats on Comrades, that's a quick target for Abo.

AGF - Congrats on the PB. No x training at the mo, couple of sessions a week of core/stretching/drills.

• Welcome Warren, and best of luck with the target. I will be happy to be within 35 minutes of you at Abo. My target is still undecided, probably will only know for certain after a half marathon race I have in September.

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Some good runs going on, CFB, nice run on a tough course, congrats AGF on the pb, Warren, nice target for Abo, hope you keep posting as it would be good to see how you go about training for it.

Im in the same boat as you AC in that Septembers HM will go along way in deciding a target time.

What we all need now is this rain to bugger off, sick of getting drenched!

• Thanks folks. For now I am only running half an hour very slowly every other day. I'll only start training properly towards the end of the month. My basic recipe for last year's 2:45 at Leicester was a fair bit of track work, quite a few 10 mile runs at MP or better and finishing a few of my 23/24 mile long runs with 5 or 6 miles at MP. I'm not talented enough to do it without lots of mileage as well so I needed about 65 mile a week average over 15 weeks last year. This year that'll probably be closer to 75 mile a week average.  

• Yes, Warren, please keep posting, as I am interested to see how you incorporate the 10 mile tempo runs at MP and better with recovery days. I usually do tempo runs of around 6 miles, anything longer seems to get put into a race, although I do put in MP miles at the end of some my long runs.  As with you, I only seem to achieve good results when I can stay injury free and can put in high mileage

• AC -  The plan has 4 x 20 milers, one at MP + 45-60secs, one at MP + 30-45secs and two at MP+ 30secs, but I might change one of those 20's for 3 slow,3 MP(or just below), 3 slow, 3MP etc. I miscalculated and my start date is this Monday, so I've had a few days off after running  last Wednesday's 12 miles at 7:37 avg in the afternoon sun.

• Barry - sounds like a good plan and nice brisk 12 miles there. I seem to only get two or three 20+ milers in, and they all tend to be around MP +60secs, which I expect is not quite fast enought. This time around I am going to try and speed up some of the longer runs, so it will be interesting to see if this makes much difference, other than tiring me out a bit more.

My club coach emailed me over the weekend my training plan for the next 4 weeks, so I suppose I am starting my plan today aswell! 

• First day of 18 week plan completed, just another 17 weeks & 6 days to go. image

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

image JP, doesnt sound that far away really!

Nice long run done Saturday 19m, farthest ive been for about 15 months. Plan is a few long runs early doors so can then have a bit of a play around with them later on.

Hows the recoveries going Warren and CFB?

• Mee Meep - thanks for asking -I managed a total of 26 miles last week - all at a painful shuffle (at or outside 9min/mile) - I've also had a couple of easy swims (the only kind I do), and did a decent MTB ride at the weekend. Rest day today. So I've stuck a 6 miler in this evening image, and the legs are COMING BACK! Ran a little bit harder at around 8:30s. Well, the sun was out and the lakes looked gorgeous!

• Knee is bothering me a little so haven't run since an easy 10km on Sunday. Might try and do a few easy miles tonight. Have to start proper training next week!

Good long run there mee meep.

• Warren - take it easy there. You have plenty of time so no need to rush into full training if your not 100%.

Meep - good long run. Has been a bit warm here in Essex for the last few days, so glad I have did not had to do more than 2 hours on the weekend.

8 miles yesterday morning for me, 7 1/2 miles this morning, club track session tomorrow evening.

• Hi all,

Am doing the Abingdon marathon for the first time (3rd marathon) and seeking some general training advice.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to merge a half marathon / marathon training plan as I have only just realised that my half marathon (Bristol) in the lead up to Abingdon is only 3 weeks prior (former a bit later this year, hence not much of a gap).

(Previous marathons, I have had more time to merge from a half plan to marathon plan).

Thought about starting and finishing the marathon plan with the half marathon being the normal 'race day' of the marathon plan, i.e.the next week after the taper ends, and then a 12 and 8 miler (for example) in subsequent weeks and then marathon.

Am OK with treating the half with a slower time than normal, but is anyone aware of any specific plans for this scenario or advice on whether this sounds credible, much appreciated.

Steve

• Steve - Welcome, I would keep to your plan for the mara and  race the HM, I know some people will say it is too close to the mara to race but I don't think so.  What plan are you going to follow and how does the HM fit in with that?  My HM PB's have come during mara training.  I'm following Furman which calls for a 13 mile run 2 weeks before Abo so I'm planning to do Cricklade HM that day.

• Thanks Barry. Plan I've used once before is the Yasso RW intermediate plan which I.found useful.

The Half would effectively be the end of the Marathon training plan but my concern was just whether marathon fitness would maintain with my longest (20 miles) run then being six or so weeks from the marathon plus the effect of running the half as a race three weeks out.

Will probably start the plan and see how it goes.

Good luck with your training, any goals for Abo ?
  • Steve - what BB says - I have run 3 Abingdons, and have also run Windsor Half 3 weeks before and Henley Half one week before every time - if you've got the miles in your legs a half 3 weeks before should be quick - Each time I have done Henley I've done it at planned marathon pace rather than  racing, then taken a couple of days rest.

caveat - I don't follow any real training plan, I just run what feels good image

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

No scientific info to back up what i say, but i wouldnt race a half marathon 3 weeks out, it may well be perfectly alright to do so but if we are doing such a big build up towards a goal race why jeopardise it even the slightest? Perhaps it wouldnt though image

Bet you didnt run up Henley hill at MP CFB!

• Meep - hehehe  - I think that particular mile lasted about 9½ minutes last year

• Welcome Steve, I would agree with what has been said, in my experience the best half marathon training is following a marathon training plan. Most of my best HM times (incl PB) has come within 1 to 2 mouths of my planned marathon.

I am planning to run a HM 4 weeks prior to Abo, and still undicided whether to do this flat out or at MP (with miles added on beforehand). If it was 3 weeks before Abo, I would not even consider running it flat out.

Anyone racing this weekend? I have around 15 miles planned for Sunday. 

• Hi Everyone. Just back from a week in cornwall. Was lovely to run a few coastal paths and just enjoy the jog and scenary. The cream teas, ice crea, fish and chips have not helped though and I am at least a stone heavier than i neeed/plan to be on the start line. With that in Mind I though I best get going with the training for abingdon and ran 18.6 Miles today. All very slow and it was quite tough but at least its one long run on the chart. 16 or 17 weeks to go - something like that. training starts now !!! ( For me ) 

AC, enjoy your 15 tomorrow. 

Welcome steve. Good luck with training. I agree with the comments made by barry et al. A marathon plan will sort you for both. You probably do need to decide whats your target race though - the half or the marathon. 

I hope everyone is injury free going into their training plans???

• Thanks for all the advice - marathon is the a race for me so will have to gauge my pace nearer the time. Slightly easier in that my half last time out was slow due to injury so realistic to try and move towards my PB rather than trying to beat it.

Good running for those out this weekend.
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

I'm running Abingdon and am entered for Notts half 3 weeks out. I've spoken to various people from my club and other clubs and also asked Steve Smythe on here. Steve says he likes to race a half 3 weeks out for sharpness and just makes sure he has a few easy days before and after. I also have a few mates from other clubs who race halfs 3 weeks out with no issue. Comes down to the individual, how well trained you are and how well you recover. If I run Notts (50/50 really) I'll race it but as studying might stop me from racing it'll probably be: 24 miles 5 weeks out, 20-21 4 weeks out and then a 23 3 weeks out.

Currently training for 10ks and the Milton Keynes half so sunday runs since April have been 16-18 miles and regular track work/tempo stuff. Will start training for Abingdon week ending the 22nd July. 5 weeks training either side of a week treking in the Alps and then a 3 week taper. Looking forward to Aboimage

• Welcome RS78. It sounds like if your Sunday runs are currently 16-18 miles, then training for Abo should not represent that much of a step up. Have you a target for Abo?

AGF - good 18.6 miles there.

Nice steady 15 miles for me in light drizzle this morning (7.59 av pace). A little windy, but beats the hot weather of last weekend.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Aching C - I don't really have a target as such. I ran 2.58 in Amsterdam in 2010 but had a bad day at the office in London last year and came in in 3.00.16 having run a 1.20.06 in Fleet half 4 weeks before. I just want a solid/enjoyable mara performance but I guess I'll be looking at around 6.30 pace (which may be adjusted "either way" as training progresses). Had some good consistency of late and Milton Keynes half in two weeks will give me an idea of where I'm at going into Abo training.

What are you aiming at?

• Just to add more fuel to the HM too close to the mara debate.  My Mara PB(3:16) came after running a 1:28 HM the week before.  HM was a test for to see if I could run mara as I had been injured for the previous 6 weeks.  But it has been pointed out I might have run a quicker Mara if I had n't raced the HM.

Steve - Abo target to be set closer to the date but as ever probably looking for 3:15.

• RS78 - as regards what I aiming at, is a very good question. I will decide when I have completed the Grunty Fenn half marathon in early September, however it seems it could be anything from sub 3:15 to 3:29.59. It really depends on how the training goes, and whether any injuries arise. My pb is 3:14 set in 2009, and since achieved 3:17 & 3:19 at Abo, however my last marathon in May 2012 after an injury blighted build up was 3:29.

Hope everyone else's weekend runs went well.

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Anyone got a race this weekend?

Up at 6 for another 18 in the morning, any other long runs planned if no races?

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

am i allowed back in to this thread please?image was absent due to t'internet and laptop problemsimage.all sorted now.training ok, did 14 last sunday in very muggy heat and a speedier run on Thursday, also v warm. was trying to tell myself it wasnt really that hot as i did northants ultra 35 end of may in sweltering conditionsimage. have a 20miler on Ridgeway planned in 2 weeks and then 28 maybe 2 weeks after that. ABO will be a last long run for me before doing Druids ultra so should all fit in nicelyimage