Wetsuit/Transition Bags/Boxes

Hiya

what does everyone use for Transition Boxes/Bags

and do you have links for website 

Many Thanks image

Comments

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

I use a sports bag that has handles that I can throw over my shoulders like a rucsac - much easier to carry than an unwieldy box

• I use a rucsac for the reason FB mentions

• I just lay everything out on a towel and the floor, and use family to carry everything between transition and the car.

Alternatively I use a cheap plastic crate from B&Q if its raining.

• There is nothing more annoying than somebody in transition who has a massive box! A large rucksack I can understand as people sometimes cycle / use public transport for their races... but a box that contains most items that are only there as just-in-cases should be left in the car!!

Got to think about those around you.. and if they cannot get their bike out, or lose a bike shoe from the pedal as they negotiate their way around a big box, you are failing in doing so I think.

Golden Boots wrote (see)

Got to think about those around you.. and if they cannot get their bike out, or lose a bike shoe from the pedal as they negotiate their way around a big box, you are failing in doing so I think.

GB - technically that's impeding an athlete and is a possible DQ offence.  if you see it happening report it to a BTF official on duty who can do something about it.  if the athlete doesn't comply with the request to keep their space tidy, then they can get DQ'd.  same goes for discarding wetsuits or bike shoes in front of bikes as this can trip someone up - so that's a potential DQ as well.

Rule 23.3 and penalty is 29.5.i if you want to check the Rulebook

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    Golden Boots wrote (see)

GB - technically that's impeding an athlete and is a possible DQ offence.  if you see it happening report it to a BTF official on duty who can do something about it.  if the athlete doesn't comply with the request to keep their space tidy, then they can get DQ'd.  same goes for discarding wetsuits or bike shoes in front of bikes as this can trip someone up - so that's a potential DQ as well.

Rule 23.3 and penalty is 29.5.i if you want to check the Rulebook

I thought this to be the case... though it's not really practical when you arrive at T1 to find the numpty next to you has their belongings infront of your rear left pedal which is looped to the QR skewer... it has happened before (Though we all make mistakes like tihs at the beginning so would feel bad about trying to report somebody!)

you have to be lenient with beginners but experienced guys should know better. if you're chasing a podium spot then what you describe could esily mean missing out.   if you are racked next to a numpty, a quite word usually suffices to sort them out

• Oh FB - I was swimming last night and have a question to ask.

I'm wearing a rash vest for OW swims now - saves messing round with that expensive unicorn extract - Bodyglide.  I am ok to wear it under a wetty and leave that with the wetty in T1  - I think ? 

yep - you're fine.  it's not seen as an aid like say socks or gloves as it's under the wetsuit.

• I've used a box before (which I put under my bike wheel, so hopefully not in anyone's way!), but i knackered my back trying to manhandle it plus the bike back to the car, so never again!

• Rucsac for the same reason as DD and FB.  It's not a tri specific one, just an ordinary one that's big enough for all my stuff.

• looks like its the Rucsac route for me then image

• I have a tri-specific one (I didn't buy it, it came as a free offer when I bought some running shoes).  If you happen to be buying one anyway then the large pockets at the side for bike shoes and the expandable waterproof section at the bottom for your wetsuit are very useful, but if you already have a large rucsac then that's all you need.  Take a bin liner to put your wetsuit in afterwards so you don't soak everything else and you're done.

At Outlaw you can't leave anything with your bike that's not physically attached to it.  You can't even hang your helmet on the bars, it has to go in the T1 bag.

• At least that keeps things together eh ?

• Well yes, I suppose it does, but when all the T1 & T2 bags are hanging together it adds a lot of bulk and it wasn't easy getting your bag out from the mass of them all.
  • Erm, can't quote on the iPad, but FB, re. your comment on socks.... does that mean I'm not allowed to wear compression socks under my wetsuit?
  • I would say that the same rule would apply to compression socks as per the rash vest ??     Well thats how my logic works anyway ! 

• I think calf guards are OK but not compression socks.

Beginners tend to overcomplicate transition and think they need lots of kit with them. Less kit means less mess, less faffing and easier transition.

However if it is wet then I prefer putting on dry running shoes, so plastic bags are your friend.

• I have a tyr transition rucksack it's not cheap but has enough space for everything including a separate compartment for wetsuits! Has been battered about for 5 years and still going strong

Boxes are a royal pain in the arse!

I find it best to keep transition as simple as possible. As meface says!

Small towel with run shoes/bike shoes (if not attached to bike) on. Socks if needed in shoes or on top. Hat/visor. Sunnies in helmet on handlebars, I wear number under wetsuit so no faffing there! Same rules apply for sprint to ironman! Apart from having to bag items in larger races, but that's still pretty simple
  • Ooh, m.eface has just reminded me I need (ok want) to get a clear rain jacket in case it's proper pissing it down at Outlaw, because I want my piratey colours to still be visible. Must add that to my list of things to do today!

My transitions are very simple, and I'm on the bag rather than box side. Apart from anything else, who wants to try to balance a box on your bars to wheel back to your car/hotel/tent when you've finished an event?

Holly - anything that covers the foot isn't allowed so compression socks are out - calfguards are fine as they are fully covered by the wetsuit

• How long have I been doing IM and I've not got a transition bag. I just use the plastic drawstring bags they give you at registration.  And a big blue Tesco bag for my wetsuit swims. Perfect.

• FB, maybe you can explain this rule that's been puzzling me, why can't you wear anything on your feet? I can understand obviously fins etc but how can a neoprene sock or similar provide an advantage?

It interests me as that's my main fear of open water, I cut my foot very badly in the sea many years ago and now get quite stressed when I can't see what I'm walking on. And before anyone says anything, I'm talking about getting into and out of the water, won't be a problem when I'm swimming. Although the swimming itself may be an issueimage Was hoping to be able to wear something on my feet but guess that's not going to happen.

Hi GG

This is taken from the rulebook:

9.1 Competitors shall use no aids other than a cap, goggles, nose clip and costume, which may be a wetsuit, for open water swims.

9.2 A wetsuit may consist of up to three separate parts. The wearing of wetsuit leggings only, gloves and/or socks is not permitted. The maximum permitted thickness of material is 5mm. This maximum thickness also applies to any overlap of material/s.

It's believed that wearing socks and/or gloves confer an advantage in the water as they can give extra propulsion as they effectively increase the surface areas of the feet and hands.  Now you could argue that modern wetsuits confer propulsion advantages with catch panels etc, but as they aren't (as yet) banned they are allowed.

What you can do is to have some footwear handy for when you get out of the swim and to run to T1 in.  What you can't do is have someone hand them to you - that's outside assistance.   In many tris where the exit from swim to T1 is rough the RD's will often advise you to make sure you have footwear available for this.   But I'd always check with the RD or BTF Official to get clarification at the event as some may, others may not - it's discretionary.

• Thanks for explaining that FB. I was wondering about wearing a cheap pair of flip flops to the water and back. Will see if the race I'm doing will allow it. It's the walking into the water bit that really bothers me but guess I'll just have to HTFU and get on with it!

I live next to the sea and the beach is shingle - I have yet to get used to walking barefoot on it!!   as you say - just HTFU and get on with it....

which race are you doing out of interest??

• Maldon sprint Tri in July. Only learned to swim front crawl this year, haven't got a wetsuit yet and haven't swum in any open water yet!
  • I'm not panicking at all!!
  • Be sure to get some open water swims in before race day. I had an experience 2 weeks ag with a first timer in the lake and she freaked out. We got her out 2 more times before race day and she was fine on race day. There were several that turned back they coukdn't handle the open water and found it to cold. If you are a new swimmer like I was last year getting open water swims is so important.