Trail Marathon Wales 2012

Comments

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Hi Melbow sorry for long time to reply lost the thread.  I live in Dolgellau so on the doorstep which is good for training but sometimes i do think ignorance may be bliss!

I'm just in some asics at the moment ni idea what kind - they were really bright pink and green when i bought them just sort of muddy coloured now.  Hoping they are going to last 3 more long runs and the day itself as so comfy.  Defo need trail shoes i wouldn't like to try it in road shoes.  Ash's video gives a good idea of the terrain to expect.

My training routes are covering the first couple of miles then about miles 8/9 to 15 but in reverse, then the last 5 or 6 miles, i've also done quite a bit of 15 onwards as other shorter runs.  Only bit i'm not certain of is the first real climb but may be better not to know image.  Longest run so far is 17 miles which took me about 4hrs 20 i'm probably going to be last (not the first time) but so long as i get around i'll be happy. 

48 days to go image happy training everyone

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭

I too will be thrilled just to finish. I did 18 miles yesterday but with no where near as much climb as the race. I'm hoping to do a hillier trail route next week so will be longer time on my feet and some practice for the climbs.We will have calves of steel! .The film of the race looks excellent, really varied and pretty. I'm really pleased I entered it. 

Happy training

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Melbow - Good luck with those climbs

Nothing for me this weekend but i think i needed the rest - all raring to go again nowimage

• degsy-m-degsy-m- ✭✭✭

im doing the half image

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Hey Degsy - just think you'll be drinking tea and eating flapjack before the rest of us loon'simage

• Having just read the whole thread I've slowly become freakedimage out but excited by this race as it rapidly approaches. I'm still way short of full distance and it's tough training around Cambridgeshire for running steep hills. Slightly caught out by timings as I'm normally doing my marathons in October.

Even more freaked out as it has more ascent in it than Eden Marathon had (which was tough enough). Yippeee! I so love Wales and the mountains.

All you previous posters enthusiasm is contagiousimage

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Hi Alex i'm starting to have moments of slight panic now that the race is getting closer.

Did 19 miles on Sunday and it went really well finally felt like i may just have a chance of getting around on the day.  image 

Did you get to do the hiller route Melbow? How did it go?

• Hi all due to an injury (that i ran excalibur marathon with) i have dropped down to the half marathon now.
  • Anybody like to guess in minutes how much harder this will be that the Snowdonia marathon?

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭

Hello all,hope training is going well,

Chrissie managed 19 miles last Sat in the Peak District with lots of climb which took us nearly 5 hours .I felt fine after but tried to run Tue eve and 5 miles was enough,my legs were tired. Ive got a halfmarathon tomorrow which is completey flat with a downhill finish. Really poor training for the Trail marathon but entered it months ago . Couple more longer runs after that then TAPER. 

My only concern is if it gets too hot on the day. Will it be cool higher up?

Hope you all have some good runs this weekend

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

FR no idea still haven't made it all teh way around SNOD fingers crossed for this yearimage

Melbow sounds like a good run in the lakes i'm hoping it's not to hot on the day it's been hard enough getting up those hills in cool conditions if it suddenly springs 30 degress on us i'm toast.

Did 20 miles yesterday strangly found the first bit the hardest once i was on teh big climbs i was ok was playing catch up wioth a great group of bikers all the way down definately helped absolutely knackered today though!!!

Rest weekend next (if you can call helping at Cader Race a rest) then last long run and a couple of weeks taper actually hard to believe i've only 1 long run to go i've come such a long way since January wow

• Perhaps 4 hr 30 mins may be too adventurous, did sneak a sub-4 at Snowdon last year and have completed my last four marathons (road) over the last five weeks, sub-4.

• Sounds like eveyone has been getting some good runs in!

We came over to CyB last weekend. Did 14m, attempting to follow the half marathon course. Got lost at 5m though. Then did the Sarn Helen route on the Sunday. Was fun, if a little hard work, in part because I was recovering from a cough and cold. Sunday was quite warm in the forest and it wasn't even as hot as it is this weekend. It will be VERY hot if it is as hot as it is now on race weekend. 

Was back on it properly this week. I did 7m on Wed, 4.5 on Thurs, 21 on Fri and 8.75 today. Total of 41 ish. Biggest week yet. 21 on friday afternoon was HARD. Made me realise that we need to get better at feed stations and reduce the faffing. We just hit 20 miles at 4:20. Am a little concerend that we wont make the cut off. We may just have to beast ourselves to 20 then suffer the rest. 

Planning a couple of 7-9 milers in the week then 22-23 at the weekend. 

Can't decide at the moment between a 2 or a 3 week taper. It will depend upon how my running buddy is feeling as she is suffering with shin splints at the moment. She did manage 21 on Friday, but suffered for 4m before giving up and taking drugs! 

My flat marathon only time is 4:15, i managed 5:27 at the end of ironman france. I suspect we'll be closer to 5:30 than anything else. But as its my first trail marathon and its my buddy's first ever marathon we'll just be happy to get around, without being swept up by the sweeper bus! 

Still excited!!!

• I'm doing the Half, my first Half Marathon. Been pactising over the North Downs and trying to get as much elevation in as possible,

My mate is doing the full, part of me wishes I was too but the Snowdonia in October will be my first.

Cant wait until June 23rd

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Muddy - really hoping it's not as hot as this.  I'm doing 20-22 this weekend coming then then starting the taper.  Going on training times so far i'm going to be approx 10 - 15 mins outside the cut off and looking to finish in around 6 to 6 1/2 hours image  We were up walking our dogs (large brown ridgeback and slightly smaller Grey Weinmararner cross) on the Sarn Helen trail last Sunday wonder if you were the runner we saw?  I'd done my 20 around there on the Saturday.

Sucha - i'm hoping the training i've put in for this will mean i fianlly get around Snowdonia in October.

• 3:38:06 at the KentRoadRunner marathon, only a club 10k race between me and this race.  So looking forward to it.image

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭

Is everyone ready for NEXT WEEK,? aahh. Its strange doing such low mileage now, but I am looking forward to the course. Plan to do 8 miles Sunday then 2 ,3 milers next week then thats it!!

Adding midge repellent to list of stuff to take ,after reading the facebook page.Made me smile reading that someone had reccied route and came back looking like "king of the mountains",although it musnt be funny for them.

hardest thing is cutting the wine out. Will enjoy a bottle of chilled white next Saturday. Nice to have Sunday off before work.

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Up at CyB last night with thousands of midges - not funny.

Melbow - agree it feels weird doing short runs and them feeling sooo easy -loving it - and yes that wine next Saturday night is going to go down wellimage

Not much running now for me couple of miles tomorrow night, last 5 miles in the forest Sunday, then a couple of very short easy runs Monday & Tuesday then rest, eat and trying not to panic.

• Really happy with posting 42:40 at last nights club handicap 10k race. image

Bring on the Welsh trails image

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

FR - well done

Pouring with rain here again but forcast has it clearing and getting warmer next week (at least up until Wednesday so far) just hope it doesn't go to the other extreme and end up roasting.  But hopefully it will dry the trails out abit it can be slippy in places when wet.

Just think this time next week most peeps will be finished and i'll hopefully be getting close to the end.  Can't waitimage 

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭

FR ,thats pretty impressive.

Chrissi, yep should have feet up this time next week. I'm impressed with all the info from the organisers and am looking forward to the goody bag, T shirt, drink bottle, coaster , socks etc sounds like they've worked hard getting lots of sponsors.

I still cant believe I've entered it! Roll on next week! See you all there

• Thanks Chrissi and Melbow last long-ish run tomorrow morning then easy, easy, easy until next Saturday image

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

hi folks..last minute change of plans means i am looking for a place for tmw, anyone know of one going?

• Clairter email the organisers they are really good at replying they may know of one going

• So is everyone ready ?? Looks like were in for a wet one should add to the fun . As for time not sure on that front this is a new experience for me just looking to complete the full route in one piece and enjoy myself in the process the time is irrelevant .

Judging by the facebook activity I think Matt and his team have pulled out all the stops to make this a memorable race plenty of goodies to be had just a shame I'm not quick enough to bag some of those winners prizes . Maybe one day image.

Have a good run everyone .

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭

chefRunner, i've not seen any forcasts yet but will pack for everything.

I have annoyingly developed a painful heel over the weekend,on the week i'v run very little . managed to get a physio appointment last night, who thinks its a trapped nerve rather than a spur and ibuprofen is helping. I'm crossing my fingers that if I do a short run tomorrow eve its bearable so I can still run Saturday. I realise 26 miles would be daft if it does hurt but will be gutted if not. Will be happy to just walk the ups and run the downs( which was original plan). I'm hoping i'll be under 6hrs, taking into account the climb so think will need 10 gels. never carried that many before!

Looking forward to the weekend away. Hope everyone else is ready and rested

• Hey Clairster, hope you get a place. Didnt get to see you at White Peak marathon, opted for Windermere instead which was same weekend (deferred place from last year and a bit of a monkey on the shoulder job!image) Let me know if you are in and I'll look out for you.

Hey, rain, wind..all adds to the fun...sooo looking forward to this. Sounds like it will be a fab and memorable event.image

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Latest forecast i've seen is rain and 14 degrees.

Melbow - hope heel is ok.  I'll be walking the up's (and some of the more technical downs) and just under 6hrs is my best case goal so we may be near each other. I'm going for 6 gels and some jelly babies.  If it is raining stuffed in my backpack so i can take my jacket too and stuff that in if i get too warm.  Was tempted to just get wet but if i get cold too (being a bit of a slower running) i'll have problems so would rather be on the safe side i think.

Carb loading starts today!!!

• Hi all, reading back,looks like theres some good long runs been put in.Really excited and looking forward to my first trail marathon, 4 of us from Knowsley Harriers (red & white hooped vest) travelling down friday evening, 2 doing the half and 2 doing the full.We`re staying in the log cabins up the road and making a weekend of it.We did the Cader Idris as a warm up race and it was probably the hardest race i`ve ever done but i loved every minute.

reckon i`ll get round in about 4hrs but not pushing for time, i wanna drink it all in and enjoy every step,its a nice break from road racing .

Good Luck everyone, and we`ll be in the Rhiw Goch on saturday night celebrating