Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, maybe Gosport might be worth a go, but see how we feel come the end of the year. I love to marshall the Marlow half early Nov, and am usually delighted not to be racing a half myself! Also am gearing up for the xcs by then, so a 13.1 doesn't seem the best option usually.

Bus, none of us have ever beaten her without a disclaimer remember image

She does have the smallest drop off from 5k to half I've ever seen though. Barely able to break 18 for 5k, yet can do a 2:42 marathon! Quite amazing really.

• Dean check out link good exercise for achilles well done for not trying to do 200's with calf/achilles issues nice to see at least one of us being sensible image

http://www.excelphysicaltherapy.com/videos/v/eccentric-heel-raises

In fact some good exercises for us all with a video to show looks quite an interesting site

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Rob thanks, hopefully you are still on track for a recovery...will do these & im also booked in for the physio.....i did think of those currently injured as i stood off the track, I was never this sensible in hockey or as a kid, but the one thing i am very aware of is injury at my age and lack of racing. So trying to keep me away from all this talk of foam rollers etc...

Whats annoying is i have a target 10k in next weekend and if i dont feel right i will drop out but i wont get to run another for months. But i can live with that.   if i do drop out Stevie S - you can have my race number for Stone 10k if you are still keen. I know the race sold out a few weeks ago!

• Thanks Dean Hamstring holding up well now run for last 2 weeks and training pace going well will do about 58 miles this week. I will start to plan some racing soon after my off road venture or adventure next Friday image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, no doubt hockey was similar to football, in that if you took a knock, you could just rest up for the next game...which might be a week or 2 away. Running gives you no such luxury as you're generally on it 6 days a week at this thread's level of keeness.

That's what I tend to forget with the footy....i'd probably get little strains or knocks 20 times a season, but because you weren't needing to feel 100% each day, you thought nothing of it...as a runner you're way more highly strung i find.

Good session at lunch, an 8miler with 2mile progressive segments through easy, steady, MP and HMP, with a 2mile recovery at the end.

Still not quite getting the fuelling right, as today i went for weetabix and toast at 7am, with rice at 9am, and then not running til gone 12....still caused issues, which i'll come to later!

Progression actually went perfectly...a bit quick if anything

Target pace              mile 1        mile 2
    Easy     7.15-8         7.40          7.18
    Steady   Sub 7        6.53          6.37
    MP       6.15           6.09          6.06
    HMP      5.55          5.47          5.45

Every mile quicker than the one before, and all slightly ahead of target. Got through the session beautifully, but the stomach was feeling it..probably not helped by  a 5.07 burst across a road at one point on mile 7... but finished the session, before a sweet release image

Then 2 mile splendid jog home. Just a single today too...bargain!

it is a bizarre feeling when you've nailed a good session but have lost half your guts afterwards...as long as you finish tho!!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good for weight loss anway!

Nice session that one Stevie....

No run for me today. Was going to swim at lunchtime, but couldn't be arsed (so ate onion bhajees insteadimage)

Talking of footy, I'm supposed to be playing in a dads v lads match tomorrow - you know how much I love football! I've not played for about 30 years and don't even have any boots. Of more concern is the risk of injuring myself before Sunday's race!

• Bus don't do it as your competitive side will come out and no doubt you'll go into a tackle or two way too hard and hurt yourself been there done it broke my toe!!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, I tend to stick to protein immediately prior to the tough stuff. Aids muscle repair right when you need it.

Bus, Runner + football = Don't go near it. Too risky. 

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Training since Sunday's 10k.

Mon, 5ml a.m, 5ml p.m

Tue, 10ml a.m, 3ml p.m

Wed, 8ml a.m

Thur, 10ml a.m, 4ml p.m

Fri, 10ml a.m, 3ml p.m + some decent red wine.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, I actually cut some protein out before hand in case that might push things along!

Bus, careful, your ego will run riot trying to show the youngsters you can out run them! Imagine if you pull a muscle and are out for 6weeks or something for a two bit kick about!

Should be out at a leaving do tonight, but to be frank, i can't be assed. Hanging around with colleagues watching them boast about who can down most booze is never something i got at 18, let alone now!

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Cracking session SG. Greart times and pace judgement.

Deano, I'll run stone for you if you're not in the right shape. You know me, don't mind a race or two image Let me know as soon as so I can structure my week around it (Training and Peroni time etcimage)

• Stevie see like it "structure your week" very goodimage
    robT wrote (see)
    Stevie see like it "structure your week" very goodimage

Yeah, wishful thinking! One day... image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, what you do works for you at the moment...and to be honest it's a better actual format with the speedwork sessions than what i was doing before this thread started...

therefore, carry on until you see the pbs stop really!

then you might need to start a thread like this of your own image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - thats an excellent session, but have you tried going for a Richard III before you run?

SS - i will be making a late call on Stone, if i havent done any form of quality before thursday i wont run.  But if i get the red card from the physio earlier in the week i will let you know earlier. 

Bus - regards the footy....if you are a forward i would play ...get some goals and retire again with your lad knowing youve got game...if youre a defender type i would give it a miss as you are bound to get a knock.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

No ego when it comes to football! The world knows I couldn't paly fo toffee! That said, I am concerned that even against 8 yr old I could do something silly running around a pitch and injure myself! Will try my best to escape it!

SG - talking of being frank, where is he? Not seen him post for ages....

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

in that case i wouldnt play image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, made me chuckle you asking that question. With my back catalogue of pit stops, to not go before a hard session would be sheer recklessness! It's just that some sessions tend to "tax" the stomach!

I've changed the diet around with some fairly big steps, like cutting pasta out completely, replacing it with rice, cutting fruit and veg(soluble fibre) out in the 12hours before a hard run, and banishing any idea of Lucozade before a run!

It's always fine for races, so to be fair that's the main thing...and as long as the effort part of hard sessions comes out fine like today, it's all good!

As for footy...defenders get less knocks! They give the knocks!

I was satisfied with my footy days, had a lot of fun, meant a hell of a lot to me for many a year, and I swear anyone who knew me between the ages of 19 and 25 would not believe I binned it off completely! However, the running blunted the desire to risk injuries, you become less inclined to challenge or risk anything, and you gradually become half the player as your heart isn't in it.

I don't miss the horrible atmosphere you often get, typically turning up to a changing room full of heavily tattooed, boozed up smoking scumbags, but certainly miss the banter and regular weekend competitive game!

ps Frankie is never overly regular on here, i'm sure he;ll pop in soon...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

in that case i wouldnt play image

I don't want to - just don't underestimate the pester power of an 8 year old though, especially if he'll lose face in front of his mates!!  If I do play, given I've no boots or shin pads and am a natural coward, I'll be hiding at the back. Some of those 8 year olds are quite big you know!

Makes me laugh at my son's footie. One of the coaches is a softly spoken ex-pro, the other is very competitive, but still a good coach, but wanders up and down the touchline with a fag in his hand! Great example to the lads!  From what I hear, I'm hoping my son loses interest before the team get into the older leagues!

Nice very easy 5 miler this morning to get the legs moving.

Who's racing this weekend? I've got the "Dash for Dad" 10k tomorrow. An off-road, supposedly very hilly race organised by one Sam Amend...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep, there can be some "interesting" individuals on the local park footy scene...almost had to go to witness at court once when one lovely chap kicked a fella in the head off the ball and got sent off!

Very hilly and offroad? sounds a nightmare, but one you'll love image

Got up at 11am...best get 1 of the 4milers in sometime reasonably soon!

SG, that's the reason I knocked footy on the head, the atmposhere was horrible sometimes. Being called a blonde c**t has a certain shelflife. Running is more supportive and the atmosphere at races is always friendly and enjoyable. I remember having to run to my car after some footy games for fear of having my head caved in by the local goons!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - very disciplined stuff, and I feel like I had an insight into elements of your run that I neither wanted nor needed.  Well done anyway though!

Bus, good luck tomorrow.  I shall be spending my fathers' day doing as little as humanly possible.  I may even get to stay in bed after 8 am.

21-mile run this morning.  With an eye on Phil's points last time, I tried to make this a "time on my feet" run, by slowing it down a little, but even then I still averaged just under 7 minute miles for 2:26 overall.  So not bad, but it's still a little bit of neither one thing nor another.  But good to get the distance in.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

exactly Stevie, the atmosphere is better in running, it's as competitive as can be, without the ugly side of that, and you actually have to stay super fit for running, whereas football even overweight boozed up goons could still cut it, as they can rely on teammates and the nature of the game being that 75% you're uninvolved and strolling round!

Dachs..i forget you're marathon training, when is the big target event? Abingdon or something?

21miles at sub 7min miling?! If that's your LSR pace, you're certainly on for some good rewards.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs - sub 7 for 21 is very impressive stuff, especially if you felt you were lsoing it down! Tis a bit of a shame I can't take advantage of a fthers day breakfast in bed tomorrow!

Well, I survived the footie! Ended up being a mix of dads and lads on each side - about 15 a side! All very good natured, but all of the dads are much bigger (and wider!) than me so I had to make good use of my speed! Most looked like they were about to have heart attacks by half time - scary just how unfit the general population is really.  Just a sore shin to show but thankfully nothing to cause a problem tomorrow (though the burgers and hot dogs afterwards might slow me down!). Fun, but from what you boys have said, I certainly won't be rushing abck for another one!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - Berlin, September 30th.

It does seem that running generally attracts not only a friendly crowd, but also quite an intelligent one as well.  Maybe it's the contemplative nature of being out on your own for ages.  In terms of football, I've certainly been put off from ever having anything other than an informal kickabout by how arsey and unpleasant some people get about it.  Although it also helped that I had as much natural footballing talent as the average cauliflower, and thus have never been under any pressure at all to participate.

So well done on surviving Bus, and I hope you feel suitably smug about your level of fitness.

Managed 7.5 miles @ 7:25 pace. Calfs needed a stretch out at 4 miles and 6 miles. Still stiff near the bottom but at least they don't feel like they will tear in half like Monday! Progress of sorts.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

stevie *2 - thats the difference between hockey and footy, a better class of thug.  you only really got abuse if you didnt turn up in a convertable image

though there was one game were it kicked off v an indian team and during the handbags one of the indian lads went to his stick bag and returned with a f**king sword. Apologies for the language but i think there are few words that can convey the sight of someone swinging a sword around. It was like a scene from Sinbad

Dachs - good session - plenty of miles and a decent speed. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

A sword? FFS! Hope he was carted off in the back of a police van!

Dachs - must admit, I was a tad smug image. One guy did say to me though "it's all right for you, you run every day"!  Yeah, my last 10 years of building training up to  7+ hours a week has all been for this one kickabout!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Did a ten mile run with a guy in my club one morning and at the end of it he declared he wanted to play football since he wanted to kick someone. So we went to some park where a selection of athletes/players  were leaning against a wall puking up as part of pre match warm up. And kick someone he did.

Several relatives of mine were professional footballers and as a kid I was considered to be pretty handy with a ball. Then I discovered that my sheer lack of size was destined to stop me ever getting anywhere with the ball, so I stopped stone dead and refused to have anything to do with the game from then on. I was eleven years old and never played again.

🙂