Money isn't an object...

BookyBooky ✭✭✭

What would you do with your life? How would you spend your days?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't dislike my job, but I would most definitely give it up!

I'd take some time to acclimatise to being able to do what I want, when I want.  I'd go to places I've long wanted to visit - and it wouldn't be on easyJet, either.

I would never travel cattle class again, and I wouldn't travel by bus or train again - commuting into London every day takes the romance out of train travel!

• Travel is the big thing.  Sports wise, it would be nice to throw money at it, so I'd have a coach, nutritionist, etc.  Would also be great to do things like spend a month in a beach side condo in Hawaii having done the Ironman.  Quite like the idea of travelling in an RV through America for a couple of years too.

I think anyone who would still work is one dimensional and I would see them as a loser, unless they were on the space program or something special.

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

Sometimes it's not the lack of money that inhibits your choices, rather it's the responsibilities that you accumulate and cannot delegate.
    If I was stinking rich I would deal with those responsibilities from the comfort of a large, well appointed house set in extensive and secluded grounds. And then I'd leave it to go travelling once the responsibilities had passed!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Faithsdaddy, what a great post. Anyone who still works would be a "loser" and one dimensional", unless they do a job that you decide is "something special".

What if someone truly loves their job, or does a job that helps people? I'd say that is more dimensional than some selfish sod cruising the world for their own thrills!

But welcome to the forum image

Going full time as a runner would be worth a go. But I suspect that truly would get one dimensional...and you may well find you can't actually handle that much more training than you can when having normal commitments. Also, it might become quite tedious and pressured when it in effect becomes your whole purpose!

still would be interesting to try tho!

• I think there is a moral duty when winning big amounts of dosh to give a good proportilon back to society. I'd love to be able to just give big amounts to people who really need it. In a way I would give up my current job for sure and set up some kind of charity/bursery.

Those euromillions winners must find it tough though to suddenly come into that lind of money. After doing the usual of buying big house, cars, holiday etc what do they do?

• I love my work! I wouldn't give it up, but I might do more of it for charity.

As for the rest, I'd aim to do all of the big races and marathons that are on my list and travel around the world to make sure I get to see as much as I can (I do think you get to see more of different towns and cities when you do a marathon as opposed to the average tourist) and I also want to do Route 66..... image

• I dont want to work for you, for them, for him or for her, so I would buy a house build a studio and start working again and stop all this faffing about with job and career.

• just coming back to running after keyhole on my knee, been out for nearly 2 year,s got more fat and unfit, i dont have to work to hard buy and sell, got so bored not training if someone gave 100,000 or more to stop training would not even think about it, as you all know gang health is better than wealth.

• I've thought about this a bit recently (mainly after buying a  lottery ticket and before finding out I didn't match a single number!) I would feel that I should stay in my current job. It's a three year project that has already been marred by the original post holder leaving after 11 months. I have 18 months to go and I don't know how well if I upped sticks and left now too. I actually enjoy my job, and think I'd enjoy it even more if I could remove the 2 hour each way commute, not have to worry about short contracts and careers, and spend my weekends doing fun things instead of wishing I had the money to do fun things!

Once my contract finishes I'd travel for 2-3 years, have a couple of children and then see what I feel like doing next.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Faithsdaddy, what a great post. Anyone who still works would be a "loser" and one dimensional", unless they do a job that you decide is "something special".

What if someone truly loves their job, or does a job that helps people? I'd say that is more dimensional than some selfish sod cruising the world for their own thrills!

A job should not be the best use of one's time that you can come up with.  Many people would stay because of conditioning, fear of change or because it compensated for a missing element in their life, such as company.  All reasons that should be fixed properly and not through work.  If someone's job was the best way they could imagine spending their time, then more power to them.  I'd wager that in 9 out of 10 situations, that it wouldn't be the case though.
    But now that I know your feelings, if I win the lottery, I won't upset you by offereing to go halves image
    I did have other ideas, some more altruistic, others that I would need overexplaining.
    Money would give you more options.  How about learning to fly, or play the golf courses of the PGA, spending the new year in a different country each year, get married/ remarried on an island? 
  • I'm a scientist, I work in research and money being no object would mean I could actually do my job properly rather than scrabble about for funding all the time.

I wouldn't give it up I worked damn hard to get where I am.

I am boring as fuck obviously image
  • Why does money have anything to do with it ?
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I know a number of people who would continue to work even if they could afford not to. I know a number of people who do work though they can afford not to. They do have jobs that are challenging and in an area that interests them. Which obviously helps. I don't think that anyone who continues to work when they don't need to financially is a loser, nor do I share any of Faithsdaddys opinions on this. I think that is just narrow minded.

Personally I would chuck in my job and never work again if I didn't have to. My job is naff, the pay and conditions are crap and I can't say that I enjoy it, or that I enjoy working at all for that matter.

So - money being no object, I would buy land, quite a lot of land and I wouldn't have any houses built on it. I would protect it, keep open spaces, public spaces, footpaths, (esp some nice ones for running on image). I may even build a running track and I know I'd build a swimming pool or lake for ow swimming.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

The OP is a bit vague...do you mean that if you have unlimited money how would you spend your days? Or if you had no undue call on your current finances?

If I didn't need to work to support myself and family I would devote time to training in the Lake district and complete the Bob Graham Round.  If I had unlimited riches I'd probably be dead in a year tbh.

• I agree with Ultra AJH - but then thats probably because I am a scientist too image!

I run my own business and the 'scrabbling about for money' to keep body and soul (and a roof over my head) is a familiar feeling.

Money being no object would mean I could set up my own research projects, maybe invest in training new graduates along the way, and I would probably do something like setting up a bursary system for students from poorer backgrounds.

It would also of course mean no more worrying about paying the mortgage, and open up a whole new world of travel and ultra racing opportunities.

There seems to be a very selfish element in business today, bankers and hedge fund managers spring to mind, for example, who will screw anybody over to make more money. Nobody ever told them that money isnt everything - does having a bigger car make you a better person? These are shallow meaningless things IMO.

I think of Carnegie and Titus Salt, and other people of their time, these people knew how to make vast fortunes, yet also had enough foresight to invest back into their workforce, whether that meant giving them better housing conditions or setting up funds for education.

A recent Euromillions winner donated a few hundred thousand to a local charitable trust where I live - they were about to have to shut down completely - this money gave them a lifeline image.

• I think if I had millions I'd be doing pretty much what I do now. I am training in a job that helps people, develops me, and is fascinating. It's what I've always wanted, all my life. I volunteer at a couple of charities (so obviously I'm already not doing that for the money) and I'd go on doing that. I'd still stay at youth hostels rather than posh hotels -- I used to use big hotels when I was on business, and it's not a treat. I'd still enjoy eating at greasy spoon cafes. And I spend quite a lot of time looking after my father. It would be nice to be able to employ a nurse to do the less pleasant parts of that so I could concentrate on spending time with him, and not on doing his laundry and stuff. He won't be around for ever. So my life would be different in small ways. First class on the trains.

• Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

I think anyone who would still work is one dimensional and I would see them as a loser, unless they were on the space program or something special.

It is true that working means choosing just one thing. But in the end, we can't do everything. It's like choosing one person to get married to, I suppose you could call it "one dimensional" because you let go of other choices you could have made

• If money were no object...wow. I would never ever give up work - it is part of my self worth, my self confidence and to be brutally honest, I hate not working. I've worked (in some capacity or other) since I was 12 and I'm now 29 so I doubt very much that I'd give it up, money or not.

What I would do, is retrain. I wanted, and had a place at uni, to retrain as a social worker and not have to worry about an income while I'm studying. I'd pay off my parents mortgage and debts, pay off my debts, put the remaining tuition fees for my brothers at uni each for the final years of their uni life and make sure they were ok after uni with somewhere to live. I'd give some to my sister who, despite not being the best sister is still my sister and I love her. My grandmother...I'd make sure her house was repaired, get her some help in the house.

The rest, charity donations, a little house for me to live in and a little car. A holiday when I would like one, being able to truely live rather than just exist. But I'd still work...if that makes me a loser, so be it.

• I don't work so can't give that up.............i would buy a big house with lots of stables to help my eldest.......and i would start planning to travel the world in a few years time..........

i would give 1/10th to charity straight away and then look at given some to family........

and would pay for a big pirate pissup weekend with pedaloe racesimage

• If money was no object I would set up a charity to help all those poor unfortunate orphan banks. We see news reports by Michael Buerk reporting on the famine in the City of London, but what do we do? Nothing not a thing. Banks are people too. They deserve your money.

• I'd hire a personal trainer and a chef to help me lose that stubborn stone.

I'd also like to buy a big, beautiful house and turn it into a writer's retreat.

• Ultra AJH wrote (see)
    I'm a scientist, I work in research and money being no object would mean I could actually do my job properly rather than scrabble about for funding all the time.

I wouldn't give it up I worked damn hard to get where I am.

I am boring as fuck obviously image

Tigerspaw wrote (see)

I agree with Ultra AJH - but then thats probably because I am a scientist too image!

I run my own business and the 'scrabbling about for money' to keep body and soul (and a roof over my head) is a familiar feeling.

Money being no object would mean I could set up my own research projects, maybe invest in training new graduates along the way, and I would probably do something like setting up a bursary system for students from poorer backgrounds.

It would also of course mean no more worrying about paying the mortgage, and open up a whole new world of travel and ultra racing opportunities.

There seems to be a very selfish element in business today, bankers and hedge fund managers spring to mind, for example, who will screw anybody over to make more money. Nobody ever told them that money isnt everything - does having a bigger car make you a better person? These are shallow meaningless things IMO.

I think of Carnegie and Titus Salt, and other people of their time, these people knew how to make vast fortunes, yet also had enough foresight to invest back into their workforce, whether that meant giving them better housing conditions or setting up funds for education.

A recent Euromillions winner donated a few hundred thousand to a local charitable trust where I live - they were about to have to shut down completely - this money gave them a lifeline image.

These two. The idea I (and some others) could work free of the fear of loss of funding would be nice. Funding students appeals to me too.

I know a research company that was set up as a semi-hobby. That sounds like fun. They're also bloody good at what they do.

• I'd pay someone to train for me.