Meldy! Meldy! Meldy!

MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

<Tugs forelock before the supermoderator>

Did you delete the "watch some football match tonight" thread on Clubhouse earlier on? By Zhang Wee or some name like that?

Cos it weren't spam, it were a joke.

Tsk. You just can't get the staff these days.

Comments

• This is the trouble, you can't judge a thread by the title.

• No I didnt ... I saw it and left it

;-)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if you set up a thread that looks similar to the 1000s of spam threads, and have a username like "Zhang Wee" that looks like the 1000s of spam accounts, then it deserves to be deleted.

and isn't a problem at all.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

if you set up a thread that looks similar to the 1000s of spam threads, and have a username like "Zhang Wee" that looks like the 1000s of spam accounts, then it deserves to be deleted.

and isn't a problem at all.

I wouldn't say it deserves to be deleted. If I had seen it I would have known it wasn't spam because I recognise the username.  I doubt I would have found it very funny judging by that user's previous efforts but that's a matter of opinion.

I do think it's disingenuous to pick up on this as an example of why user mod spam-deletion powers shouldn't be granted, as if it points towards some fundamental problem of abuse of power.

• Yep, guilt by profiling.  The Police used to do this with ethnicity.  That worked well for them.

Who Watches the Watchmen?  "Paranoid" rant etc ............

*keeps "told you so" card for anther day*

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Gosh, what a drama....

Anyone would think that Zhang Wee (is that right?) started the spoof spam thread to deliberately stimulate this debate and that Zhang Wee is, in fact, the alter ego of an existing forumite.

Crikey.
  • In fact Stevie, you may want to edit what you put. I'm sure you weren't saying "well, he sounds a bit foreign so deserves what he gets", but that's what it sounds like.

• Ooooh, have we got user moderation now?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)

In fact Stevie, you may want to edit what you put. I'm sure you weren't saying "well, he sounds a bit foreign so deserves what he gets", but that's what it sounds like.

That thought really didn't occur to me at all.  The way I read it, Stevie G was merely saying that someone posted something which looked exactly like the sort of spam we've been receiving recently, even down to the username.  It just happens that 99% of it is coming from China.

As stated above, I don't think such a post deserves to be deleted, but it might explain the mistake.  What I don't see is any connection with the average post written by any known user which people might find objectionable in some way, but could not be mistaken for spam - which is clearly not the domain of the spam-removal empowered user mods.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Ah ha! I knew it.

It's you!!!!!

Kittenkat

[insert dramatic music and close up shot]

Are you.... Zhang Wee.....?
  • Muttley wrote (see)

<Tugs forelock before the supermoderator>

Did you delete the "watch some football match tonight" thread on Clubhouse earlier on? By Zhang Wee or some name like that?

No, that was me.

Muttley wrote (see)

Cos it weren't spam, it were a joke.

Thought as much, but by that time, it was too late.

Muttley wrote (see)

Tsk. You just can't get the staff these days.

You're probably right.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

M...ouse, I think you want one of these...

• Yeah i always assumed Zhang Wee is an existing forumite who is 'trying' to mix things up. Maybe i'm wrong, and it isn't someone we know, but if it is, i just think it is pretty sad.
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    PhilPub, that's perfect. Thank you.

Kk - but how do we know if Zhang Wee is male or female?

Pam pam pammmmmmm!!!
  • I just like a thread with my name at the top   image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Zhang Wee has been here being unfunny long before the idea of spam-mods was discussed.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

In fact Stevie, you may want to edit what you put. I'm sure you weren't saying "well, he sounds a bit foreign so deserves what he gets", but that's what it sounds like.

No need to edit anything, bearing in mind the guy picked the username to sound like one of the 1000s of spammers.

But then, i tend to find I usually disagree with most things you ever post, so why change now image

• PhilPub wrote (see)

That thought really didn't occur to me at all.  The way I read it, Stevie G was merely saying that someone posted something which looked exactly like the sort of spam we've been receiving recently, even down to the username.  It just happens that 99% of it is coming from China.

As stated above, I don't think such a post deserves to be deleted, but it might explain the mistake. 

No, what explains the mistake is that I have Asperger's Syndrome (a form of autism) so I have difficulty processing the linguistic subtleties that people use.  I saw it, wasn't sure, so left it.  When I saw it again, linked to the title, I thought that it was genuine which is why I marked it as spam.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Ah, so the villain of the piece is ...

... Jeepers!

I shall have to spank you now.

(and agreed with others, the fake ID is no longer funny but I just thought I'd point out it needn't have been deleted for being spam)

• Jeepers, I wouldn't be paranoid about the Asperger's  diagnosis. Linguistic subtleties are virtually impossible to tell in the instantaneous written word. I enjoy a bit of lively banter but am also very good at getting myself into trouble. Comments meant in jest at 23:30 with a glass or two inside seem to be quite rude at 0800 and sober.

I wonder if it's possible to Caz one of my own posts after the event?
    Even self report to a moderator with a grovelling apology?
    At the moment we can only edit a post if we haven't posted again. As it is I tend to run 3 threads concurrently if I'm bored.

• I think we need to move on   image

• BB ✭✭✭
    I like that cat image
  • Stevie - I'm shockedimage