Forum Spam: Apology and Fixes

Comments

• Everything seems so much clearer now image
  • image.........where is that delete button image

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭

I demand that Seren be deleted, as her editing is making me look like a fool image

I don't actually get how RW make money from the forum anyway, apart from indirectly if you assume that folk who post on here enter races via RW and buy the mag

I do neither so I don't think I'm making them any money

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭

debbo wrote (see)

I demand that Seren be deleted, as her editing is making me look like a fool image

I don't actually get how RW make money from the forum anyway, apart from indirectly if you assume that folk who post on here enter races via RW and buy the mag

I do neither so I don't think I'm making them any money

advertising mainly.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/advertise.asp?sp=&v=6

I did see the prices somewhere once. Will see if I can google them

edit: here you go http://www.rwpromo.co.uk/rw_websitemediapack.pdf

• I thought for a moment gertie was referring to myself advertising my services...........I can't tremember ever doing that on RW.especially with pricesimage

• kittenkat wrote (see)

seren you still haven't said how you know about Monday?

I believe I did answer......in the same way as you did with other questions......there is no requirement for people on here to answer questions......image

• This kind of reminds me of a conversation between 7yr old girls in a playground.

Actually I'm a mod

• Whoever Spartacus is ... they can have the mop

I am off to bed   image

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Crashie I think the issue was covered in the other thread?

Yes, but RW Towers won't read the other thread, at least maybe here they *might* read. image

I can't guarantee that they will, but I have already contacted them to explain what I did.

And for those who don't know, I marked as spam two threads (by the same person, an existing forumite) that weren't - they were a joke only I hadn't realised it.  So, by makring them as spam, I ended up having them deleted.  And seemingly annoyed a few people as a consequence.

I was approached and asked if I'd be prepared to act as mod, marking spam threads.  That's all I've done (apart from the extra twoimage) and that's all I shall do.  I don't know why they chose me, they didn't say.  Perhaps it's because I said this earlier in the week:

Jeepers wrote (see)
    gielpiant drfhgds wrote (see)

I read somewhere a while ago that there is no need to take gels when running for an hour or less but does this train of thought change when it's a racing situation?

http://www.avufo.info/g.gif

Spam still going strong.

I have no problem with the use of mods, I can see pros and cons but my objection would be (and I will probably get flak for saying thisimage) that I think RW et al should get their act together first and stop this deluge of spam rather than relying on forumites to sort it out for them.

I have no interest in finding out any form of personal information not available to anyone on the forum, all I'm interested in doing is cutting out the spam - generally I don't mind it, I just ignore it, but last weekend was annoying.  I use the forum quite a bit so when they asked me to help out, I thought it seemed reasonable to say yes.

I don't agree with the concept of mods being anonymous which is why I posted on here saying that I'd been approached.

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭

Can you stop members posting completly?

If we had another spam attack like we did the other week, the mods wouldn't stand a chance as the spambot would create new threads faster than you could delete them.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'd just like to add in my 2 cents. I'm not against the specific moderators (as i'm sure they'll do a great job and I appreciate the effort they are putting in keeping this forum spam free) but i'm against the policy in general.

<span class="commentBody" data-jsid="text">I think RW are abusing the good nature of the forumites to wipe up their own mess and ignore and not deal with the real issue that we have: that there are integral issues with the make up and composition of the forum.

<span class="commentBody" data-jsid="text">I think we're all waiting on the time plan of when the new patches/versions will be installed and brought live and i hope that this will be delivered to us sooner rather than later.

<span class="commentBody" data-jsid="text">If this moderation is for short term - i think its a great TEMPORARY solution but this needs to be communicated by the RW towers and handled as such.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what politics!? Some of us just post about running most of the time on here...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ahh, classic non runner word for a dedicated runner image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i don't think i've ever seen you list a time you've run in fairness...

but i'm guessing you'd have to lean heavily on the WAVA to beat me

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

This is why you have a stream of people against you on here. You're a bully and are darn right abusive

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you confuse me, you come back with a concilliatory type humourous post like that, but will then go for abuse next time out...

is it the classic case that you feel you're being attacked and come out harder to defend yourself? You weren't actually being attacked here!

• Kk you hold the world record for being banned from RW so I think I get why you're so paranoid about the powers of moderation being given to other users. But here's two thoughts - a)why don't you cut them a bit of slack and b) if users moderate themselves the mod delete button would never even feature - aside from the fact that they're primarily spam cleaner-uppers anyway.

This whole discussion is pathetic and quite niggardly and cynical - can't people just let the new set-up settle in before accusing the new mods of being trigger-happy - poor old me is sitting here thinking they're two people who invest in the forum and want to help it in some way - it'd be nice if people could give them some support or at the very least give them time to settle into the role.

• KK and Stevie - leave it, please.
    Emmy_bug wrote (see)

I'd just like to add in my 2 cents. I'm not against the specific moderators (as i'm sure they'll do a great job and I appreciate the effort they are putting in keeping this forum spam free) but i'm against the policy in general.

<span class="commentBody" data-jsid="text">I think RW are abusing the good nature of the forumites to wipe up their own mess and ignore and not deal with the real issue that we have: that there are integral issues with the make up and composition of the forum.

<span class="commentBody" data-jsid="text">I think we're all waiting on the time plan of when the new patches/versions will be installed and brought live and i hope that this will be delivered to us sooner rather than later.

<span class="commentBody" data-jsid="text">If this moderation is for short term - i think its a great TEMPORARY solution but this needs to be communicated by the RW towers and handled as such.

I agree with most of that.

• Yep.  Forum functions again.  Radale(sic?) haven't had to spend the required money/resource and all it's cost is some well meaning peeps to get peeped off and the potential for people to be alienated, be them posters for, against or the mods themselves.

Win for the owners, lose for online community in the long term.

Sorry, I declared days ago I wasn't going to say anything more.  *notes down; owes LN another beer*