first run

hi, all well here goes Ive spent all life on the road bike,was a marshal last wk or our local summer long weekend in tenby south wales,was on the finish line handing out the medals and was so motivated,i signed up to do the 10k run next year,went out Monday for first run and after 1k had to stop as big toe was in so much pain.its now black and when u press on it blood and muck comes out.do i need bigger shoes please help many thanks james .

Comments

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Yes you probably need bigger shoes. For running you need to go at least one size up over your normal shoe size.  So if you are a size 10 you need a size 11.

EU size I'm 37.5 but normally go for 39.5 - that's 4.5 to 6.5 but if you can look at the cm length of the shoe - I know I'm looking for 25 - 25.5 cm.

You need at least a fingers width room at the end of your shoe.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Hi James

I ran the marathon last week at Tenby. Never had a problem with my toes, but last week one of my big toes ended up the same as yours. In fact "muck" is still coming out of it.

This was the same shoes as I ran all my long runs. I'm putting this down to all the steep downhill sections I ran near Tenby. Were you running your 1k on the flat. On that distance your feet won't have swelled, so its the wrong size, or possibly poorly laced (so your foot is moving forward in the shoe), or a bit of badluck.

It was a great show that was put on last week.
  • HI,camillia sinensis assamica mouse THANK FOR YOUR ADVICE AM LOOKING FOR A SIZE UP NOW,MEANY THANKS JAMES

•  HI. Also-ran WAS MAINLY ON THE FLAT A FEW DOUN BITS NOT TO MUCH THO ,AM LOOKING FOR A NEW PAIR ONE SIZE UP AND DO LACES UP BETTER THIS TIME.YER WAS A GREAT WK END IN TENBY 2 GOOD YEARS NOW AND WITH US HAVING IRON MAN THERE TO VERY GOOD FOR TENBY.GLAD U HAD A GREAT TIME .