Running mojo gone awol

Since I finished my first marathon in April, I've simply had no desire to run. Been out maybe 4 times, and that's it. 

At first, it all ached too much and I didn't go out for at least a week. Then the freedom NOT to run (after the tyranny of the training plan for 4 months) was lovely. I'd thought I'd give myself a month off, but since then I've barely been out at all. I'm now getting the guilt trip that I ought to be running. The longer I don't run, the more the guilt, but the harder it is to actually get out there. I just don't feel I want to run at all.

I don't do any other exericse and I know I pile the weight on when I don't exercise. And having got down the the lightest I've been in ~ 30 years, it would be stupid to let that go again - and I've bought some lovey Levis that I'd kick myself if I can't get into. 

Quit happy to curl up & catch up on other stuff, if I'm honest. Due to running all the time (exageration, but that's how it felt) I got so far behind with stuff I'd recorded of the TV that I'm still watching documentaries from christmas! 

So, if you see my missing mojo, please catch it & retun in a jar. 

Comments

• I've thought about it, but there's an element of fear. I don't want to enter and not do myself justice (as I did in the marathon). And I won't do myself justice if I don't get the training in.

There's a strong case for I just need to man up & get over a bad race by entering another one.

But I'm a scaredy penguin. imageimage

• You're thinking too much Helen. This is a hobby - it's *supposed* to be fun. If you don't want to run anymore, find another sport.

If you do want to run, try just putting on your shoes and going for a walk, or a little run. No times, no maps, just run for the fun of it and stop telling yourself you 'ought' to be doing more.. If you like the social side, try parkrun. It's free, friendly and weekly image 

• It's probably too late for the June challenge, but if it continues into July, or in some other version, perhaps that might work?  Do you have anyone you could run with?  I agree with LN, you're worrying too much about it, so I'd just go out when you feel like it and enjoy it.

I don't like club running, but would joining a club be an option if you feel that you just need something to get you back out there?

Maybe it's the distance - perhaps you could concentrate on doing shorter distances for the time being.  But you've done your mara, if you really don't like running, don't beat yourself up, you've done more than many.  Maybe it's a case of "a change is as good as a rest."

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

It sounds like you've lost your confidence, Helen?  I spent a lot of time on the injury bench last year and each time that I had to make a "comeback" I felt almost physically sick with anxiety when I thought about running - my confidence was shattered and I convinced myself that I'd forgotten how to do it. 

In the end, I did two things:

First, I set a date for my "comeback".  One week prior to that, I went out for a walk every day, using one of my easy, flat 5 mile running routes and wearing my running gear.  Every so often, on quiet stretches of the road, I threw in a few bursts of slow-paced running, then I'd walk again for  a while, then I'd run another bit, and so on.  I told myself this wasn't my "comeback", so I could run as little of the route as I wanted to, or even none at all, but by the end of the week I found I was running several stretches of it.  I think if I'd started out thinking this is my "comeback" and woe is me I'm back to square one run/walking I'd have become really demoralised; instead I told myself this was only a walk, so not in any way a judge of how fit or unfit I'd become as a runner. image 

The second thing I did, when the date for my official "comeback" arrived, was to set out on the same route I'd used for my walk, only this time I had to run for the middle 3 miles.  I told myself that no matter how hard it was or how much I was suffering, I would keep going until the 3 miles were up, and after that I could walk again.  When it got hard (and it was, I'd lost so much fitness!), I just put my head down and made myself plough on.  I'll admit that there wasn't much enjoyment in the early stages, and much of it involved sheer bloodymindedness and bullying tactics to keep going, but I stuck with it and eventually I started to run the whole 5 miles because it was the quickest way to get home!  I didn't take my watch, so speed (or lack of it) wasn't there to beat me up at the end of it.

Lots of people recommend signing up to a race, but personally that would have put so much pressure on me that I would never have had the courage to get out the door to start again. 

As with lots of things, thinking about doing them is often a lot more daunting than the actual doing.  I hope you find your solution soon.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I only started running when I started work in 2007. I worked a split shift and originally I kept up with my voluntary work during the day but I was spending all my time and money racing from one place to another and not really enjoying anything.

I started swimming instead but that gets expensive, so in March or April 2008 I decided to run. I enjoyed it - well I enjoyed the freedom and sense of nothingness. Basic escapism for me. I found I was quite good.

In 2011 I left that job, I had no need to escape and I lost the desire to run. I fought hard, I searched long and deep and found the desire to run again. It was hard and touch and go. I could quite easily have stopped running and never started again.

It's only really now that I feel that I'm starting to run again.

I think Tikka has the best approach, it was very similar to my own. Find your favourite running route, don your running shoes and go for a walk. I didn't need to bully myself to run. I didn't set a target distance, I just wanted to run and knew that when I'd had enough I'd be on a beautiful walk. (I do run in some stunning landscape).

There are no rules to running. you make up your own. You don't have to do what any one tells you. Your the adult and if that means playing with boats in the bath then so be it.

I went for a run yesterday with someone who is in the club that I used to be a member of. Being a member of a club may just introduce you to someone you can run with.

• Some of my friends run a marathon and just carry on! I always have a post marathon hangover and lose a bit of fitness. After all the hard work training, I think it is natural to want to ease up to some degree. I ditch my watch for a time and enjoy some lovely runs in the countryside. I always start to enjoy it all again!
  • Helen, I'm feeling the same! I ran two halfs last year and I havent done anything since last September! I just didnt real like running esp in the winter. I did join the gym though and I was reasonably fit until Xmas when I stopped all exercise! Ha! I'm now planning on getting myself back on track and planning on doing some races later this year. Im intending to go out tonight for about 30 mins, I liked Tikkas tips, I think Im going to try that and get myself fit again! image

• Thanks for the responses all. I got my arse kicked (politely) and was taken out for a run tonight.

And  I feel really glad I went now that I'm back, but, boy! that was hard work! Just need to do it again now...

• Well done Helen, at least you wanted to do something which is a bonus!

If I feel a black cloud descending my hubby practically forces me out with the proviso I can come back as soon as I've done 10 mins.... Once the trainers are on and you have broken through the biggest barrier (the front door) the run itself is the easy part and you have no pressure to do any distance or pace.

Good Luck !
  • Helen well done on getting out for the run i know someone who had the same problem as you after Brighton took a month off and in the end it took them a year and a half before they started running again so good for you for getting out there