Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

A sword! now that shows style. I assume no one upped the anti and produced a gun.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie S, bit of DOMS is it? Haven't had that for a while, i think there's only about 3 or 4 races in a year that give me that these days, normally hilly jobs.

Bus, i discovered at 19 that being very fit was the key thing in park footy...by 20 i found i could outrun and outlast everyone each game, and i went from pretty mediocre player to essential player for all the teams i played for after that...my actual football skills were never anything special...as my strengths lay in pace, being mobile, and being able to get a good shot off in 5 a side.

One of my best games was captured on dvd when we went to Holland for a 5 aside tournament in 06.We played 4 games, yet luckily the one I scored 4 in is the one filmed!

That was in those splendid pre financial meltdown era days, Work played for the whole trip, overnight stay, meals etc... We went 3 years in a row, getting up at 3am, getting to Luton, plane to Amsterdam, coach to Utrecht, 5mins to get to the changing room, changed then straight onto the pitch to play at 10am!!

Looking back, no wonder we never performed too great in the first game each year. image

One year i'd been in bed for 2weeks before, and the day of the tournament was the first time I'd got up....will always remember feeling wrecked within 20secs of the games...but somehow scored 2 still image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

im sure one of the cockneys in the team could have rustled up a shooter image...In fairness D'Artagnan was just swinging his sword around in a threatening manner rather than taking swings at people. And was quickly diffused by his teammates.  I was disappointed in the team as somebody should have been schooled in Epee and called him out with a stern En Guard.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, you clearly discovered the secret behind a good game. I heard of a game where a team of young footballers played a team of runners of similar age. The footballers scored first, the runners in return scored six! The footballers remarked that they were just run into the ground. There's a young runner in my club who's dropped the football as his team mates refused to do the running training. In a match he was playing by himself while the others; for all the good they were, may as well have been playing with themselves. Even my lad has friends who want to play football but don't want to run. Try telling them that Beckham was a county class runner gets nowhere.

🙂

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

SG, still got a slight hangover from the Welsh castles race. That was a hilly job! But I'm back to full training this week. I've just cut back my race diary quite a bit too as I don't feel I'm getting many solid weeks training one after another. The long runs have totally gone to pot!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, definitely true.

I remember playing a game in the 4th tier of the local sunday league, ridiculously coming up against a team of ex semi pros (and 2 current ones). They even had a 34 year old ex Stevenage player who played in the conference!!  We lost 6-0 first game, but second game i remember myself and some others running them ragged off the ball, they didn't have the legs!

Also played against the late Mike Keen... an ex top division player, when he was 60! It doesn't even need saying that a fit 23 year old had the upper hand!!

You don't get many top flight footballers who aren't athletes any more, you can't get by on pure skill like the likes of Le Tissier and people did, you have to put that effort in.

See man, thats the main problemo of too much racing...you have to taper before, and recover after, and if you're doing that too much you never actually build up.

Of course you can go the other way as well...train for nothing in particular!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

A clubmate of mine had a week which could be described as 2 days recovery, 2 days training, 2 days tapering and then a race. He ran 35:40 for 10k so often that someone had a tea-shirt screen printed for him with 35:40 all over it.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

All this football talk, and its all my fault - eek! image

Stevie See - less racing in the diary? My word - that's a shock new tactic for you sir!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It sure is Bus...it could be worse though..i've just spent ages arguing with a forum bully on another thread...should probably stick to the proper running threads!

Bus, myself and Phil are hitting a 16 at 7am tomorrow...one day you'll have to join us...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Wish I'd known - could have slotted that one in and still finished in time for the race image

Philip - up for a 7am start? How were the loyal offspring supposed to bring you breakfast in bed then?

Looking out the window though, you'll have had a cracking start to the day.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good run, thanks Phil.

16miles flew by, some good chat, one trip, and quick compensation from the government (finding a tennerimage)

now to stretch...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Findaing a tenner? Result! Where did you put it??

Just back from the Dash fo Dad 10k. Tough off-road race with 3 big hills. One right at the start, which you repeat on the 2nd lap, then a surprise one 2k from the end, when mst peope thought we had a nice flat cruise to the finish!

A fair few more at the sharp end than last year, but I still managed 6th overall and 1st V40. Winner was Chris Bradley of Datchet dashers, 2nd Eddie O'G.

I'm pleased with the V40 prize, not only is it a nice trophy, but I had to work both hard and tactically for it. I was overtaken at the 4th k, having heard someone get closer and closer for a while. I didn;t think I could respond, but saw his grey hair (!) and Reading Roadrunners vest and dug deep to stay with him for the next couple of k's. When we hit the big hill the second time, he pulled away, but I delibertaely held back to save a little energy. After the top, and into a long downhill I caught and overtook him. For the next few ks he kept coming right back to me, but every time he got on my shoulder I put a little spurt in to pull ahead, and the combination of doing this the 4th time, coinciding with the final surprise big hill and he broke. Just as well - one more effort and it would hav been me that broke!

Overall, tough, but very scenic and a great atomosphere. Well done to Sam and all her team.

• bus, must be odd when you enter what must be a low key event and you find yourself coming in behind a few serious quality runners. Chris won Wargrave last weekedn so is definietly in good form, though donlt know how, he must be downn to about 20 miles a week. Well done on the first v40, but you won't get me with the fast downhill, it is now a well known and rehearsed technique of yours.

The 16 with SG turned out to be 19 at 7:30 pace on the nose. Very even running, just a couple of slow miles, one along the river bank with mud and gates and the other up Chapman Lane (surprisingly fast though, still 8:16 up what Garmin shows as a vertical cliff)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice work Bus, those V40 prizes are coming along nicely aren't they! Saw that Chris Bradfield was doing it on fb, so knew you'd have some tough competition! Him and EOG are quickly honing in on V40 themselves, so you best treasure those trophies for a year/18months  or so image

Again reinforces how hard it is to win any race, when you turn up to do a course with perhaps 150-200 runners? And still have 2 big local dogs turn up. That 5k had 70 runners and 3 top runners...

So, the 16 (for me...Phil did a couple before, and 2m to my 1m when we split), takes my week total to 67.5, and that's actually 7 weeks in a row over 60miles.

Still a little cautious as i tend to be well aware the hip isn't 100% and i can feel the metarsalgia kicking in a bit too, but so far I've found the hard sessions actually feel fine, and it's sometimes the slower longer ones that give a little jip.

Definitely a sign to continue the rehab with full vigour, as I'm almost 31, not 61, so could do with being 100% again image

Although what is 100% I wonder these days.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Chaps. Eddie tried to keep up with Chris, but it didn't last long...

6th V40 trophy this year, including 5 first!  At least with EOG and Chris turning V40 next year, I move up to V45 (not that there's often a prize for that! Besdies, as these guys are usually top 3, my bimbling about in 6th should still see me sneak a trophy or 2!

That's a very good long session of weeks there Stevie. Made sure my warm down was 1.2 miles today, to round the week to 50!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just checked, you've got 2 years until Chris gets to the V40, so a little more breathing space...otherwise you'd have to get cynical and get them both on fb, and avoid where they go image

Back from my first long run in ages. 14 miles @ 7:08 pace. Felt great all the way. My usual route is very hilly but this new one is nice and flat so my form was good all the way. Calf was fine all the way around, legs felt full of life. No tenner though image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the tenner is only for people who stick to the right easy pace Stevie, image

Ha ha, stuff off you! image 7:08 according to McMilan is OK (ish). He can't be wrong? image

Oh, and another congratulations to Bus for lapping up a V40 prize. You love a hill or two!

Next race is 19th of July a fast 5k start and end on the track. So a month of graft now image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Stevie. Glad to hear the calf held up fine and you fetl fresh on a long , fast paced route. Sometimes it takes a brek from long runs to get that freshness back I think.

My next race is the Penn 7 next Sunday, it's the most local race I can do, and gives a good chance to show off in front of a load of teachers and parents ffrom my kids school!  Only danger is we've got our annual street party the day before, always fun but mainly consists of eating and drinking from early afternoon to late at night, so I'll have to exercise heroic restraint! I'm actually hoping it rains on the Saturday and warm Sunday afternoon, as Sunday is the the fall back day!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

He's generally right, but a little tasty on easy pace...

thinking about it, that race Bus did is probably just round the corner from a race myself and him did about 2/3years ago at Bradenham Woods. For some reason I turned up thinking it would be a gentle pootle in some lush flat woods. Instead it was amongst the 3 hardest courses I've done, a nasty 2 lapper with exceptionally steep ups and downs on grassy offroad fare.

Bus took me right near the end, but to be honest I couldn't give a toss by that stage as I wanted out! And thus it makes up one of his victories in the head to head...that I listed to the race about 4months back...that'd be tough to find...anyone remember what page it was on!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Today's course was harder than Bradenham SG, though with a similar uphill finish. My time today (42:07) was 2 mins slower for the same distance, despite being in a tad better shape than back then.  Funnily enough, that was also on Father's day and I picked up the V40 prize. My wife and kids could at least be arsed to turn up and cheer me on back then though!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A 10k course that takes over 40mins I think says it all in terms of toughness!

Did you ever do Icknield Way and Frieth? Both have stretches on road, but probably make up the other 2 on my hardest races 3some.

I suppose I'm pro rating here, as Marlow half would clearly be on the very tough scale, but the others have as tough climbs but off road.

There are other contenders...the Wycombe XC course, also at Bradenham, and a 5miler with tough climbs at Wendover being others...but with the latter especially I wonder if being much less fit when I did it in 06 might be a factor in my memory...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not done Icknield, but have done Frieth, which was at least sub 40!  I quite fancy the HX course this year perhaps...

Mind you, if today's was tough it pales into insignifcance against some -  I was originally going to do the Great Lakes Run yesterday, but because I failed to get points in the first two English Champs races, changed my mind and am very glad I did!  This is a long, very tough fell race that was the alternative choice to Borrowdale for the English Champs series Long counter. Looking at the FRA forum, it seems it ended up being an absolutely epic race - continuous torrential rain, zero visibility on the whole course, and rivers in full spate, with runners having to be dragged across by rope, huddle together to wade/swim across swollen rivers in groups or add miles to find bridges! Even the fastest runners did the whole race in waterproofs! It would have taken me about 4-5 hours of misery to cover the 14M route (if I'd survived!)

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

a quick in before the football starts...congrats Bus on yet another trophy and some good long running stevies *2. 

im still off my feet but planning on trying a very small  trot tomorrow to see if the achilles holds up.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

back from the 5m trot and achilles held up ok.  Lots of stretching beforehand plus the pace was around 7.50mm so was very cautious.  After about 3 miles i threw in a 6.30mm pace for about 800m.  Got through the run, achilles was a tight but no significant pain.  So need to see how it is tomorrow and then throw some fast reps at it, then i will have a better idea if i can race on sunday

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus - well done on another in a string of V40 trophies, sounds like you well and truly earned it.  Had a look at the results to see if I could find out who the RRR silver fox was that you were sparring with, but there's no-one listed that I recognise.  Perhaps he was a mirage?

Dean - good news, hope it holds up.  We need some exciting PBs on here, it feels like it's been a couple of weeks since we've had any, which is a veritable drought.  What's the race on Sunday?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I'm very confused now! The results have now got me down as 2nd V40, with a Reading 'jogger' (?) as 1st V40. Looking his name up on Po10, he's a 1:24 half man, so I find it difficult to think he'd have been 90 secs ahead of me yesterday and googling a pic of this guys name shows a photo that looks very much like the guy I beat! Maybe I'm going mad! I've emailed the RO... 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - its stone 10k - 2 laps , flat and fast.  Ben Gamble will win it in sub 32 ish but then the rest fighting for 2nd around sub 34.  My plan was to be part of that fight but injury has put a few doubts in my mind about really opening up and going for it.   I will know more after tuesday track session, worst case it turns into a tempo on sunday.

• Dean I've had Achilles issues since last June and I find if you warm up properly you shouldn't really notice it but my one caveat is I do also have regular physio on it and I'm told mine is a sheath issue and that doing the exercises and warming up will help

Bus another good v40 result