Does anyone take Chia Seeds or Flax Seeds?

Hi - does anone take Chia seeds regularly? I read an article at runners world that talks about 5 seeds that are good for you and the Chia ones particularly caught my attention. I researched them more and they seem to have antiinflamatory properties which aside from helping my sore knees etc may, I thought, be good for my wife to take. She has lupus and one of the things that she seems to get a lot is inflamation around her joints. 

Do they really have an effect? 

Same as above for flax seeds too.

Thanks in advance,

Amir

Comments

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

I have about a tablespoonful of ground flax seed on my porridge every morning. Not sure what effect it has but I read somewhere it was good for you.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Mr Boat - i read the recommended amount for both chia and ground flax seeds is 2 tablesppons so you might want to check out the quantity you are taking. It seems that flax and chia are very similar with the exception that flax has estrogen in it and chia has none. Now there seems to be some debate with regards to whether the estrogen in flax is doing you any harm as i read some scientists say that actually it's effects are negated by other things in flax and the net effect is a benefit. I know very little / nothing about this stuff though - i am just telling you what i read based on minimal googling this morning so take everything i say with a big pinch of salt.

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Not too much salt I hope.

I do sometimes have a couple of spoons as I also put it in with my Greek yoghurt and honey.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I used a bag of the flax seeds that I got in the london mara pack and it said a teaspoon every morning rather than tablespoon... so i'm not sure. To me, I didnt really feel any difference but then I was using it for only while.

What does it harm to try for a few months to see how you get on?

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

The research on chia, thus far, shows that whilst it is great nutritionally (omega-3s, minerals, fibre, etc.) it isn't a miracle cure for anything. As long as you include a sensible amount in your diet (a tablespoon or two is fine) and eat a balanced and varied diet, then they certainly shouldn't do any harm. Unless you have an allergy...

Flax seeds will do a similar thing, and are cheaper and more widely available. 

Both seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, protein and various antioxidant vitamins and minerals. Chia has a slightly better profile than flax. 

Hope that helps!

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Sarah - thanks. Not looking for a miracle cure but every little bit does help. I was attracted to the Chia due to the fact that Flax has estrogen in it. I'll maybe try it out by alternating daily between the two each day...

• I put chia in my morning smoothie... (along with lots of other things including turmeric) - feeling pretty good, injury free, training lots and running better than ever (but that may have nothing to do with the above...)

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Merrowman - out of interest what else do you put in your smoothie?

• it depends what we have in the kitchen (and needs eating!).  But typically chia (tablespoon), turmeric (teaspoon), hemp protein (tablespoon), 300ml water, orange, spinach (or instead of orange and spinach - banana and some frozen berries).  Seems to work for me....Turmeric is supposed to be quite anti-inflamatory...

• Where are you all buying your chia seeds from, I've struggled to track them down. Merrowman, is that a breakfast or punishment?

• image local health food shop... (petersfield)
  • Holland and Barrett do the milled variety in most outlets.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    I just ordered 1kg off amazon for about ??20. I was reading 'Born To Run' and they got mentioned in there too! Thought I might as well try them for a few months.
  • FWIW flaxseed aka linseed can have quite a laxative effect so time your consumption carefullyimage

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

argh - thanks for the heads up man image I'm sticking with Chia right now but if i ever go to flax that will be some CRITICAL information you just shared lol.

• I ate chia seeds regularly for a while and didn't notice any benefits. I do eat a balanced diet anyway, but I can't justify buying them on the off-chance at the price they are currently. Chia can be grown so easily that this should be a similar price to flour. Oh well; supply and demand.

On the other hand, eating a variety of seeds and taking cod-liver oil I do instinctively feel is helping me feel generally well, and these supplements are cheap enough to justify their purchase even if the benefit is entirely psychosomatic.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Hi, just looked at your website and saw the chia charge but could not find any info on exactly what is in it. Can you give some more info before I invest my hard earned cash. It looks like it works out at just over ??1 a serving is that correct?
  • I put Chia seeds into the bread I make to give it an omega 3 boost, I always have a slice of this toasted with a banana & water before a race and its a ritual that has worked thus far.

I wouldn't get worked up by the mystical powers described in Born To Run but they are a beneficial addition to an already good diet.

• I use chia seeds regularly - soak them in water and they keep for about a week in a sealed container and then add them to my cereal. They are what the Tarahumara running tribe eat as they are supposed to keep them hydrated if you eat them raw (crunchy though). I buy mine from buywholefoodsonline.com as we can't get them where I live. As Sarah The B says they are full of vitamins etc as are flaxseed - you have to use flax crushed though not whole or they aren't absorbed. Haven't use them in a while stuck with chia at the moment and make flapjack sort of things with dates; hemp powder, honey, cinnamon etc (from nomeatathlete.com) which I like. Apparently chia helps you to lose weight and maintain your digestive system, not sure about the former actually - I think the jury is still out on that one! image

• silly question I know - how do you eat chia seeds - I gather either add to bread or soak - how long for though?

• Once you've soaked the chia seeds it becomes a liquid like mixture and you can keep it like that for about a week and add to cereal, yoghurts etc whatever you want to add it to, or sprinkle them dry onto things or into a half glass of water with lime - some people do the latter before going out for a long run. I've also made flapjack style things and put them in, but some purists will think it's wrong to heat chia seeds (not sure about that one).

There is a ratio for water to chia seeds off the top of my head can't remember what it is though - something like 5-1 and just keep stirring for a couple of mins or the seeds tend to stick together and go all gloopy! Yuk........There is info on the website on my previous post - good info or online has stuff as well. Good luck!

• thanks J will try the soaking and adding to water..

• Hello, I have 1-2 tablespoons a day of chia seeds which I buy from Amazon and I feel they give me more energy for running. That may or may not be psychological of course but they work for me. I don't bother with presoaking. I either mix the seeds in with the oats when making porrige before adding milk, or I stir them into Muller Light cherry yogurt, which I then eat quickly.  I hope this helps

• or blend them in to a smoothie with your fav fruit