Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

My mate has been out for 2 years with an achillies shealth issue, so be careful guys! Lots of rehab and stretching!

Another 7.1 miles tonight @ a more sensible 7:37 pace (SG...?image) but alas still no tenner! Was a hilly fare with lots of styles and stuff so it was never going to be brisk. Bloody stunning in the sunshine though, lots of other runners out with silly grins on their faces too!

Track tomorrow for 6 x 800 @ 5k off 2mins. Will try to squeeze in 3 miles at lunch too.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

achilles sheath...that's a new one to me...

Stevie, like it...don't like the .1 though...that's hardly the anorakism we like round here is it!

Nice looking track session, although when i'm doing 5k work I tend to be given less distance than the race distance aimed for...but then you lot are made of sterner stuff image

6& 4 today. The 6 at lunch was particularly one of those "get through2 jobs as i felt a little tight, the bloody ipod died at 1/2mile, and the stomach wasn't loving things.

However, the 4 this evening was better.

Got a 2x2miles at HMP off 2mins, and 4x200 at 1500 pace session tomorrow.

I was expecting to do it at the track in the evening, but circumstances look to be allowing it at lunch, meaning the road. Probably doesn't hurt to do a session like this on the road to be fair.I'll just make sure i have the 200m measured well.

If it was say 12x400 track would be essential i think. Being able to do the longer runs at lunch is a bit of a perk sometimes...

ps how jealous am i...girl at my work has Olympics tickets to the mens and womens 100m finals!!

• 5 miles easy (7:30 pace) at lunch, then 5k race tomorrow down on the Rye. Come down and see some real runners SG image.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I'm confused as hell now! The race photos clearly show the guy I convinced myself I'd beaten in my ding dong tactical battle as finishing two places in front of me! I must be going senile in my old age or something....very weird. I even spoke to him about it after - he must have thought I was mad!

Just as well he wasn't given the V40 trophy yesterday as I'd have made a right fool of myself arguing that I beat him!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Presume he was top 3 then? As otherwise you need to be giving that trophy back!

Where you doing the classic "plenty of chat to someone you've just beaten" routine then?image

Yet avoiding someone who's just beaten you image

Phil...did you say your daughter was up for selling any of her old Ipod Nanos bythe way? The 2 I rotate have no working screen, and it really is a darn lottery whether they're charged or won't break down on any given run!

0.1 - every little helps! 6 x 800... 4800! That's a whole 200m less than race distance! Easy image I'm liking those 200's after the HMP miles, nice little blast out to finish. 1500 pace is always tasty circa 36's?

Ha ha Bus... old age and post race delirium is messing with your mind! One of the downers of being a V40 image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Phil...found out who reported you for posting that cleverly cropped walking in marathon pic..

seren nos wrote (see)

I can honestly say that I have never been to china or bought a gucci bag............I ddin't buy any tv football matches that are already free and I haven't ever had sex with a tin of spam...............so can clarify that I have no previous politics or dynamics with any of the spammers unless someone here is behind the spam................

i can clarify again that i have over ever once reported a thread to the mod when i thought that someone was being out of order posting personal piccies of an ex forumite............and i don't think that person has appeared on this thread..........

and to employ people 24 hours a day to get rid of the spam would make the site unviable........so until other measures can do the job I think the volunteers are the best option for the short term.........image

Stevie...for my old man legs, yeah probably 36/37.

Bus, just reminded me of a bootleg little win I had once...in a 4.6mile race (really), strolling round pleased after, then realised some ruddy faced tubby fella heard the winning time, and was arguing he must have won as his watch showed a quicker time. Only thing is that he'd only run the 2.9mile route...and hadn't been ahead at any time...a quick check on his route confirmed it...but what on earth!

(he didn't actually win the 2.9 either)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He was 4th, so should have the trophy unfortunately! It's all a bit weird though - I can't believe I'm going that mad, as I don't remember letting him out of my sight until he was behind me. I know its not important at all, but its really bugging me - especailly as I was pleased with myself for running such a tactical race to win the V40....

What's worse is I now look a right plum to Sam who spent some time analysing the pics at my request!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

im up for the same session SS - except with 90rec.

Rob - did you see the results from the GB masters 5k at Horwich.  Im prepared to stick my neck out and say you would have retained your title for v45image 

SG - why not get a new ipod shuffle.  Perfect for running and only £37.  And when they die sling it and get another.  They last at least 2 yrs.

Saw the Horwich results, our boy Stu 'won' the V40 but only as Lee Jones wasn't registered with the British Maters Association. So Stu has belatedly accepted the national title. Was a very close race all round judging by the results.

Rob you still hitting the tough team on Friday? I got asked but on my new 'calm' regime I said no! I'm targeting the 2nd Sale 5k on the 19th. You keen for any of those Sale races?

SG - 37's are tough but bearable will feel like lightening after HM pace! I've got a 16 x 200 session on Thursday. It says @1500 pace working up to 800. I can tell you right now that ain't happening! I have no 800 pace... that's sprinting.

• Dean the guy who won the v45 title I beat last year so would have been close but he did beat big Stu and we know how well he has been running having said that I would have been top 3 but cannot do anything about that now.

Stevie I am still doing tough team Friday went around course Saturday and saw "the hill" haven't worked out a way to actually run it just too steep!! Ran round with 3 guys who have done it several times and they all said the same aim to walk as fast as you can up it and then work hard off the top!!

I am thinking about some if those sale 5ks do you know dates?
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Rob - im a dumb ass...i opened up the horwich town 5k where the v45 winner was 17.xx, hence my confident comment.  Only when stevie said  big stu ran i realised i needed to look again.  Alot of guys around the 16.0x so would have been a good race. 

sale = 5th & 19th july, 2nd & 16th Aug

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, was there the possibility that the runner you got rid of, wasn't the runner you thought it was? Happened to me in my last race. I assumed I'd dropped a particular V50 rival in the race way before the finish so when I gradually caught a runner who had been miles ahead I didn't feel the need to kill myself for a place since he wasn't who I'd identified as the V50. Turned out it was the rival V50 after all. He didn't even look that old. I thought that was my department.

🙂

• Dean haha thought you were being very confident in my ability simon wright who won has been going well all season but he doesn't have a kick last year he was most annoyed that I just tracked him and guy bracken (guy won v50 this year) and kicked past with 200m to go so would have been interesting but he's obviously quality by his times this year!!

What is the sale 5k course like? Fast ?

I've not donw them but by all acounts its partly the Sale 5 course with a track start and finish. It goes around the park, just a hairpin to slow you down. I've been told it's very fast by everyone who's done it. I'm having a blast at Cappenhurst this year, what's that like?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, 800 is horribly taxing, and I'm guessing would need a fair bit of proper gym work to beef up a little. Always harder trying to go back down the distances, that's why they always advise to start short and move up...

Dean, could be a good option, especially as I'm so used to running without a screen display! Will weigh that up for sure.

Bus, relax, you walked away with the trophy it's yours,forget the details now. I won a 3rd senior man for coming 5th once...as hilariously they didn't realise junior men might come 1st and 2nd...was alright for the winner as he got a cup, but 2nd got jack, while, me in 5th got £20 vouchers!

ps Phil...are you in the "Windsor Elite Running Squad"? Had to laugh at that!! Made me think of this....

• Stevie capenhurst should be fast but everyone I know says the same something about lot of pot holes makes you look more at road and you feel it slows you down a touch also a path section of about 2/300 m lose a few secs having said that I did run 15.59 and came 2nd so not that bad;)
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Rob - i did the sale 5m and as stevie says it starts and finishes on the track and is flat but there is a hairpin, in fact in the 5m there was 3. 

SG - i though i was the only person that watched phoneshop.  no-one i know has even heard of it.image  Man a man is a wagamama man

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, it's utter genius. I couldn't find the Raz Prince intro to the Elite Selling Krew, but that one above will do.

...in case anyone wonders why on earth this is relevant...i was tickled by some guys from Phil's club having a little fb group called "Windsor Elite Running Squad".

Love it!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, SG - you're not alone, I picked up 3rd place trophy at Woodley this year to my confusion despite having been told I was 5th.  I gave it back quietly afterwards.  Bus - a Reading Jogger eh?  I wasn't aware they had anyone close to your league.

In a bid to test out my new racers before I race in them, and feeling like it's been a fair while since I did any of my trademark mental tempo sessions, I did 10k at 10 mile pace today. Overall time of 36:01, with a lovely negative split for those who like that kind of thing of 18:15/17:46.  They do make your feet feel light don't they?  Also, they force you to run fast, because you look like a dickhead casually jogging around in bright green shoes.  Hopefully that time bodes well for getting back to PB form next time out.

• SG, I am not a member of the Windsor Elite Running Squad - B Team. To be fair to these guys, they are all in pretty good form and bouncing off each other is makign them improve. I will see if there is an old ipod lurking somewhere.

bus, I'm as confused as you, so you have the trophy but you got beat? Can you summarise the plot so far so I can get back on track.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cripes Dachs, a 36:01 10k in training on your own? I can only imagine that you have a low 34 in you then...  A 17:46 5k is a decent 5k outing as a race, let alone as the 2nd half of a session!

I think you're cheating the manager with your underpar races to date image

Phil, oh don't worry, I can feel the power of that little gang. As individuals they're all good, but as a squad their a big force!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yeah, for some reason the gap between my training times and my race times isn't as wide as for some others.  Possibly because I do things like that last night ...  Low 34?  I shall do my best.

I shan't be taking the p*** out of the "elite running squad" until I beat any of them (I'm assuming that I know broadly who they are).  So I may be waiting a while.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs - the diference between my tempo and race time is huge.....which indicates im not working hard enough...as was highlighted a week or so ago by many on this thread.  my amateur thought process on this would indicate i should have a boost in performance if i do some quality tempos as well rather than the "not quite fast enough" sessions i was doing.  I struggle with tempos (possibly because i go out at 6am but that is probably just an excuse) so to counter this im entering into a few halfs/10mile races were i wont go at race pace but maintain a good tempo pace.

this morning i went for a 4m at 7.20 ave pace and achilles felt fine.  Still was a bit tight but didnt give out any pain.  So i guess im ok trotting but tonights 800 reps should give me more insight.  normally would push these out sub 2.30 but i will start slower and try and build to this.  Im looking for a sign the achilles is ok rather than a blistering session.  That said if we start late i have to get home for the england match so might have to gun itimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, the Elite Running Krew is the most ridiculous thing I've heard since some wag suggested that we should form a running club with the guys on this thread and call it "Stevie G and the gang".

Dean, it depends what you mean by "tempo". To some, tempo is anything faster that "easy". But then some call easy pace "steady", and call their easy pace runs "recovery" The way Moraghan breaks it down is, recovery, easy, steady, MP, HMP, Tempo, 10k, 5k. For me, my tempo is 5.50, the pace I can handle for 10miles.. HMP is 5.57, 10k is 5.40.

When i hear people say they did a 6mile "tempo" run, my first thought is...cripes. They're either like Dachs, ie a training monster, not training to their correct paces, or not meaning the same as me and Moraghan when we think of the word "tempo". It's a pretty loose phrase.

Today's session was a 2x2mile HMP, off 2mins, then 4x200 at 1500.

Sneaking it in at lunch makes it easier in one way, but again I'm finding my body is struggling to handle digestion even when I allow 3 1/2hours after mere rice!  (Including pit stop before starting, AND after the warm up&strides) Therefore, i had to make an urgent adjustment mid session, but salvaged it pretty well I think.

My HMP should be around 5.55

final result was

1.88mile   10:53    (5.47 pace)
    2.12mile   12:27    (5.52 pace)

Therefore, good session. The 2nd 2mile (+) section felt more comfortable, probably because it was actually close to the target pace, unlike section 1...which came out 5.47 even with a last 0.08mile slowdown.

Sun showed its unwelcome face too! Go away sun...to a non running day!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good session SG - you need to go to the docs though...it appears you cant leave the house without a backup plan for a Forrest.  I have 3 kids and dont have to endure this sort of thing. image

I used to mean tempo as in faster than easy, but more recently would have it mean what you would describe it as.  Currently away from the track i rarely run at faster than 6.30 pace (although that is for 10miles) So zero sub 6min miling from me away from the track.  I am making a change!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

SG - good session despite the stomache problems. I thought they'd resolved themselves. May be a trip back to the Doc is on the cards as dean suggests.

Dachs - I always do my best sesions when I try out new racers! Can't wait to try my Hagios!

I also use the definition of a tempo as a pace that you can sustain that can be describes as comfortably hard. 10 mile pace is proabbly about right.

Right - the V40 trophy saga has been solved! Firstly, I was awarded the trophy by mistake at the event - they just missed that the guy was a vet. Frustrating, but it happens when you're under pressure to get results out quickly, and with 5k runners finishing at the same time this complicated things more. The second error was mine alone! Having been overtaken by the eventual V40 winner I thought I'd kept him close, and overtaken him eventually. However, the mind is a funny thing! There was a second guy in a very similar yellow vest ahead of us both, and somehow the V40 must have overtaken this other guy when I didn't notice - possibly at the top of the second large hill when I was head down, as he had made a bit of a spurt then.  Having convinced myself the next guy in front was the V40, and as he was wearing the same colour vest and a similar build, I then pulled my way back. I overtook on a fast, loose downhill so probably didn't look too closely and just saw yellow! The finish line pictures make it absolutely clear who finished where. So, shame I was beaten by this guy (Sam tells me he has improved enormously since his 1:24 half in feb, so that's OK), but on the plus side, the other yellow vest guy who I beat was younger, and also looked very fast - I actually commented to someone on the start line that I thought he might win!

Main lessons learnt: 1) Never trust what you think is true 2) Never judge somone by their previous results 3) I'm an idiot!

I shall be putting the trophy in the post.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

thank goodness for that Bus! Fair play for admitting the trophy wasn't yours. That race day hallucination effect has hit us all at one time or another.

nice 4mile stroll tonight...no need for docs just yet, slight streesy time at work coupled with the need to review the diet i think is all. Was much worse a year or 2 ago..even easy paced runs caused problems, and i had a perennial tight stomach muscle...if nothing else, this new thing stops me thinking on the hip

now to sit back and watch the big game tonizzy!

Nice session SG, 2 mile reps are very tough to handle. Deano, I bet you end up smashing those 800's tonight! Can't help yourself and you'll be fresh legged after a restful few days.

Did my session of 6 x 800 @5k(2mins) (4mins) 4 x 200 @dead fast (200 jog)

800's came out as: 2:46, 2:44, 2:46, 2:43, 2:45, 2:39. Average of 2:44.

200's came out as: 34, 37, 35, 32. Pleasing stuff I'd say. As bit on the quick side as the 800's pan out as 17:15 pace I think but it's not a million miles away from where I want to be realistically.

Football now!