Not Losing Weight

Hi,

i am currently half way through week 3 of the C25K. I am enjoying the running and to be honest with you finding the program very doable at the moment. I currently weigh about 15.5 stone and i am 5ft11 (male). Even tough i can feel myself getting fitter i am not shedding any weight. Is this normal, i know its only been about 3 weeks but i tought i would see a difference on the scales at this stage.

None the less i am really enjoying the running and i hope to do a 10 mile race in October image

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    You need to burn 3,500 calories a week to loose 1 lb each mile is around 100-140. Depending on your weight ... If you are purely running to diet you need 25 miles a week I guess without having any extra food or sports drinks...image

It's great for toning the body and will of course help loose weight, but honestly it's more 80% diet / 20% exercise for weight .

Congrats and we'll done, but running isn't a miracle to loose weight you need a sensible diet as well.

Steph
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

It does help keep weight off though.

Also, if your clothes feel looser, you could be losing fat and adding muscle - so the weight stays the same but the waistline goes down (because muscle is denser than fat).

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I am 5'11 and was 16 stone when i started the couch to 10k programme 6 weeks ago and I have already lost over 20lbs. I am running more than the programme told me to but according to my heart rate monitor my real calories burned have come from my long mountain bike rides where i can lose 2000-2500 cals. With all that said though - i think the weight loss has come from being strict with what I eat more than ANY of the training! I didn't do any specific diet as such. I have porridge every am. I have salad, a wholemeal pita and grilled chicken or tuna for lunch.. and similar for dinner.

Sort out the diet and the pounds will just drop off., I hope this post serves to encourage you.. GO FOR IT!

Week 1 and 2 i lost about 2-2.5lbs per week

Week 3 and 4 i lost about 3-3.5lbs per week

Week 5 and 6 I lost about 4-4.5lbs per week.

• Thanks for the replies, yeah i think i know that you are what you eat. I just love pizza and beer image. I will need to cut back, i presume it will make the running easier as well.

• Hi Derek,  I've lost a stone and a half in the last 6 months and i can confirm that it makes running a LOT easier image. I've run up some hills tonight that I wouldn't have even attempted before. 

I find that portion sizes are the key to losing weight. you don't have to stop the pizza and beer, just have smaller amounts.

And well done on your first 3 weeks of running image

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Mate I eat what I want once or twice a week. On Friday I had TWO 6oz cheese burgers and a billion chips image
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Derek:

I was 15st 8 ion March 21st. Started dieting and then on 1st May started jogging now I'm around 13st 1lb the difference is amazing, just keep going and it will come off but you need to cut back on beer n pizza, don't stop completely but you need to be sensible. I abused my body for 15 years do I'm spending the rest of this year being good to it in return.