My longest run to date!

I was supposed to go out and do week 11 day 3 of the 14 week couch to 10k programme today which was 25 min run, 5 min walk, 15 min run. However, I was being fuelled by cupcakes (fathers day surprise from my twins) and the first can of full sugar coke i've had in ages. Also, I had met an old school friend in the pool and he was telling me about the marathon he did so I was feeling highly motivated anyway.

Off I went and at 25 mins I thought sod it.. i'll keep going.. 1 hr 22 mins later (it was a bit hillier than my usual run - but only 75 metres of elevant so a bit embarassing still) I arrived at home having run 7.1 miles and without having stopped even once. Very pleased! image It was my first time over 10k too.

I was surprised also because the day before I did a very hilly and long mountain bike ride. There were lots of stops in it to look at the route map (we were out for about 5 hrs) but we still covered over 20 miles distance and 2300 feet of elevation on muddy single track burning over 2500 calories! I thought my legs would be shot but all seemed fine...

Comments

• Well done Amir all training plans are for general use and can be taIlored to your own specific needs/abilities be aware of injuries but distance running is about testing yourself so if you feel you can go further then do it, and then bask in the warm glow of a job well done

Listen to your body if you have any niggles do not push it, now get signed up for your first race image

• great going.we are all different...........when i started running i was lucky i didn't need walk breaks.......i think looking after kids must have kept me fitter than i realsied.........so i managed to run my runs of 3 or 4 miles.slowly........so if you can run the runs do so.........

but always try and listen to your body and don't jump up too quick or you can get injured.......one of the hardest things to learn as a runner is the difference between the niggle you can run through and the niggle that needs rest.......

good luck.you are going really welll.have you got a race lined upimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Agree with Seren and Warkie - it's great that you upped your mileage but listen to your body. From your previous posts you've stated that you've just started out and you're doing a lot (5 hours heavy cycling followed by a long run). You dont' want to risk doing too much too soon and getting injured.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice image I am trying to be conservative and listen to my body image

I have lots of races lined up image

75 mile off road bike ride, 10k, 2 half marathons and vlm (charity) already booked up. I have to say, the pirated have really inspired me! After the vlm I see pirates in my future image
  • Good for you image Enjoy all your races image

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I tell you what - reading born to run is really dangerous. That book makes you feel like you can run for ever and ever image I am not that far in to it but I really have to remember that I am a big overweight chap and not one of these ultra runner types (yet) lol.