Wasabi

never heard of wasabi until a food discussion this morning on a thread........went to a shop this morning for pickled onion space raiders and noticed wasabi flavoured potato chips.......(like pringles).they were cheap so bought them............

WOW........they state that the are delicatly infused............but my mouth is on fire and I just love them....................only meant to have a few but over half way now so will have to eat them all and destroy the evidence before the family come back........

how many other wonderful flavours are out there that noone has told me about????

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Wasabi-coated peanuts image

Brinjal pickle - put a dollop in baked beans, lentil and tomato soup, cheese sandwiches....

• marmite........everyone in this country.even in the deepest caves of wales has heard of marmite......and its ok image

wilkie.....i will have alook for that.......is it something like branstons pickle

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

seren - You really need to try wasabi flavoured peas.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/luuux-original-files/bookmarklet_uploaded/image_176.jpg

• sound a bit healthier than crisps......................where on earth would you buy them from...........never seen them in my asdas

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

image Wasabi...  It's a bit too hot for me.

• Seren - wasabi peas will be in the snacking aisle
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Bleurgh. Nope. Sorry.

Tried a big mouthful of wasabi peas. Like mustard or horseradish, it went right into my nose. I like mustard and horseradish though.

I'll leave the wasabi for you.

• So you have never had sushi either?

Often you will get a small portion of wasabi to go with your sushi.

A friend of mine once went out with a guy who had never had or heard of a mango!

Is that even possible really?

• no never had sushi............i wouldn't of heard of a mago growing up if it wasn't for the Um Bongo advert............and then i would never of known what it looked like

• The guy was barely out of his 20's and lived all his life in London, or under a rock I forget whichimage

Ok a list

sweet potato

basalmic vineger

brie

chorizo

bratwurst

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

To be fair, I don't think I knew what wasabi was till those Budweiser adverts came out a few years ago.  I reckon before sushi really caught on it would've been a fairly exotic ingredient to most people.

OK, how about sambal oelek?

Mmmmm!

• I had chorizo for the first time yesterday in a risotto recipe someone gave me..........

imy Oh loves bratwurst...........and i have had sweet potao but not for a while........must look for a recipie for that.........

so just brie and basalmic vinegar to try out........thanksimage

my excuse is that i grew up in the valleys of south wales.we always had things years behind the rest of the world.........never tasted indian, chinese or kebabs until i left home for brighton in 1985

• Phil........so a chilli flavoured thing............do you make your own or buy it.and what would you eat it with

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

When I were a lad, growing up in deepest darkest Cornwall in the 1960s and 1970s, Vesta spaghetti bolognaise was considered exotic. Something that only "furriners" eat.

What happened to Vesta meals?

• they are still in the shops muttley...........and yes I can remember my mother buying a vesta paella for a treat..........i wouldn't touch it as it didn't have chips in it

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

wilkie.....i will have alook for that.......is it something like branstons pickle

No, nothing like Branston.  It's aubergine pickle, Patak's make (maybe others do too) it but you don't find it in many supermarkets.  I can get it from Waitrose, but Tesco don't have it. 

It's sweet, yet hot and pungent. 

/members/images/4741/Gallery/Brinjal_0.jpg

• i didn't like aubergines when i tried them but will give this a goimage

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I suppose you could make your own, just like you could make your own pickle, but generally it's cheap and available in shops (well, maybe not shops in the valleys?  image)

To me it's like a cross between a chilli sauce and a pickle.  I'll use it where I use chilli sauce in cooking, but it's also "table ready" because it's milder.  So I'll add it to pasta, stir-fries, sauteed potatoes (oh yes!) etc. or it would be great for BBQs, just whack it straight on chicken, burgers, fish, etc.  Lovely stuff.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

my excuse is that i grew up in the valleys of south wales.we always had things years behind the rest of the world.........never tasted indian, chinese or kebabs until i left home for brighton in 1985

it wasn't that bad Seren - I had my 1st Indian in Newport in 1970 when I was 17 and the last time I looked the place was still there.  also had a Chinese place in Cwmbran about the same time.  

wasabi peas - love 'em but they can vary according to brand.  Asda also do a chilli dried peas an peanuts mix which is tasty.

sambal oelek, harissa, tabasco - just another way of providing the capsaicin hit of chillis

• liking the sund of that Phil........all 5 of us like chilli so a chilli flavoured condiment would go down well i'm sure.......

realised on the weekend that our meals have got a bit set in their ways over 2 or 3 weeks.so looking forward to trying new things on the family especially as the risotto went down so well yesterday

• seren nos got to leave the Brie out of the fridge till it gets a bit runny, and starts to bulge at the sides.

Camembert you got to try that! Its like Brie but stronger. Had it the first time when I was very little as i brought it back from a school trip to France with my long French bread and made the whole family have some. Ohhh it was rank but I was deterimined to like it.

If your good at making soup you can make this I had this on my French trip for the first time and it was the best thing I had every tasted. I almost cried. I was little though barely 11 years oldimage

Ohh and this . Yes that is it name! Its not really a family dish more for the grown ups as kids dont always like the anchovies and olives. Bottle of red wine and send the kids to your mothers!

I use to cook this for a Spanish woman I was seeing once. 15 years later she still remembered;)

• Roquito peppers are really nice and getting popular now - sweet but hot and great on pizzas

Pad thai is a really easy thai dish to make and uses Tamarind which is delicious (Noodles with peanuts, chilli, onions, prawns, beansprouts, fish sauce, tamarind, soy sauce, beancurd if veggie, garlic and egg)

and a new find for me is that japanese breaded chicken katsu curry is very easy to make yourself and easy to make healthy as the sauce is just cooked onions and garlic then blended with water and a selection of spices and boiled to thicken!

• Bandicoot_ wrote (see)

and a new find for me is that japanese breaded chicken katsu curry is very easy to make yourself and easy to make healthy as the sauce is just cooked onions and garlic then blended with water and a selection of spices and boiled to thicken!

Well it's as healthy as fried chicken can beimage