Windsor Triathlon this weekend

Any other Pirates sailing down the Thames to Windsor this weekend? I shall be donning my now rather tight Yellow and Black race gear for the occasion (seems to get tighter every year...)

Anyone feel like meeting up please PM me. I will be racking up from 11.00 Saturday onwards.

Comments

• I'll be there - but was hoping to start with struggling to swim up the Thames for a bit first!

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

hi Bedders - me and P will be there doing what is now likely to be a duathlon - see the note on this page - http://www.humanrace.co.uk/events/triathlon/windsor-triathlon

not sure what time we'll be there on Saturday - probably after noon - I'll PM you my mobile 

not sure if we'll be racing in pirate kit for this one

• Yep looks like a 1km run instead of the swim. With the current as it is, it could take days to swim 1500m.....

See you there. Got your mobile number.

• Yep - swim has been cancelled officially!! Doh!!

• 1km run??? How big are the waves? Transition is going to be a nightmare!!

Good luck to all those competing... shame about the water for you guys!! image

yep - just got the HR mail as well.

hey ho - it is what it is 

thank feck it's only a 1km run to start - my plantar fasciitis wouldn't cope with a 5km one, and then a 10k later, which is the norm for events like this where the swim is cancelled

good to meet with RafikiD and Bedders on Sunday

thank feck the swim was canned - with the flow and muck in there it wasn'y very inviting.  no way would you have been able to swim far against that flow.

as for the race management - HR did a cracking job of reducing the T carnage by setting runners off in groups of 5 every 15 seconds which spread the field out a lot.  it worked well.

as for me, my PF held up OK but my lack of run training showed (awful time for the 10k).  Petal got 2nd in a/g but was well beaten by a ETU champ who's just moved up an a/g.   they meet again next weekend at the Nat Champs assuming we go - the minibago's power steering went yesterday and the forecast looks shit so we might not bother looking for alternative accomodation.

Windsor next year anyone??

• No split transitions using Dorney Lake then FB? image

Petal might be closer if there's a swim involved next week?

Vaguely tempted, but it's always struck me as a lot of hassle for an Oly, what with saturday racking and all that.  Same reason I've never done the London tri, but Windsor always gets a decent report.  Is it worth it?

no split transitions CD....  image

I was talking briefly to John Lunt after the race - he says the flak they got for the swim cancellation was unbelieveable.  

not so sure whether the swim will make much difference next w/e - the other girl's a good swimmer as well but anything can happen.  P will be happy to podium and then  focus on the World's next year as she will go up an a/g so has better prospects (she would have won her a/g at Windsor if she was a year older).   but then as the Worlds will be in the UK, there's going to be a lot wanting GB places so stiffer competition.

Windsor isn't too much hassle with the day before racking, just a bit tedious.  it's a good race - well organised (after 22 years it runs like clockwork) and an interesting fast bike and iconic run up to the castle and out to Eton.  always worth doing at least once.

• It was good to meet you, Petal and Bedders as well FB. And I certainly think they did the right think by binning the swim. Also offering one of two alternative swim events free is also pretty reasonable for something that was out of their control!

It was also nice to enjoy the race with worrying too much about times on the day - as very unlikely to race those distances again! Although pretty pleased with the bike time and run was bang on what I predicted. So pretty happy all round!!

Certainly could be on the cards for next year - as I live 12 miles away, racking the day before is actually easier - one less thing to worry about race morning!

Good luck to Petal for next weekend!

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Windsor is fun image and the racking is fairly painless to be honest...

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

And yay to petal image Fab result.