Forerunner 210 - avg moving pace different to average pace

KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Hi - after my 5 mile run during which i did not stop at all my garmin is telling me that my average moving pace was 11:38 min / mile and my average pace is 12:15 min / mile. However I am sure I did not stop so why the inconsistency? FYI my nike plus app on my iphone told me my average pace was 11:40 min / mile so very similar to the garmins average moving pace. 

The only thing I can imagine this is caused by is when I ran through a tunnel and lost gps for a few moments. However surely the software at connect.garmin.com can see that i reappeared out the other side and it knows how long i was missing for so surely it knows i did not stop!

Can anyone help me to understand what is going on here?

Comments

• Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Its probably the tunnel. Try a run with no tunnel in it and compare.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Bit crap that their software can't figure this out.. You disappear off the map at location x... You reappear at location y 2 mins later... Doesn't take a genius to figure out what speed you were moving at image
  • Tunnel may curve, alter direction.. Garmin will do the straight line from where it lost signal to new location.

Can be affected by trees, high buildings etc.

Possibly you stopped at road junctions, crossing etc. hence moving pace.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    I will have to experiment more...
  • Does the 210 have speed below which if you drop it deems that your not moving?

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

no idea - but i think the forerunner was actually right overall. I plugged my time and distance in to a pace calculator and the number came out the same as the forerunner. I guess waiting for a moment to cross the road does significantly change the pace!

• And for future reference: if you manually stop your Garmin than start it again, within a run, your "Elapsed time" will be longer that your "Time"... (This happens to me when I run to the club arriving a few minutes before the club run starts, and stop my 310 until the run starts).

• I have a 305 and have seen similar issues on that also even with the footpod thing that should give coverage anywhere. I've now stopped dealing with all the tech stuff, I don't even time my runs now, I just go do it. I find that pleasure enough.

As to what's going on, I guess these thing just either have bugs or can't find a signal here & there so rather than "guess"/interpolate/etc. they show you a blank section in the readings to make sure you know there info' is incomplete. It would be nice if there was a "fill it in for me" button where it can give you an estimate & allows you to view any necessary assumptions. Perhaps that would amount to an admission by the manufacterer of flaws & that would be bad for marketing. Blame marketing. Or sales. IMHO.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I made an extra effort to avoid tunnels and to not have to stop as much on my run today and the average and moving pace were much closer together. I honestly think that either my nike+ gps app on my iphone or my forerunner is really inaccurate with the distance and therefore pace. I believe it is the phone that is more incorrect than the watch based on mapping my run with gmap pedometer.