Keys

I guess most of you are the same: leave the house, lock up, take keys running...

But how do you carry the keys? I used to put the keys in the net pocket in my running shorts, but they cut themselves a hole and fell out of the shorts leg.

Since then I've been using a SIS marathon belt, but they cut a hole in that too and fell into the net liner in the shorts.

Has anyone got a good solution?

Comments

• I have a tried and test solution. 

I hate the way keys jangle and make a noise when I run, so I only take the 2 keys I need to get in the house (have an extra set made if needs be if you have other keys on the bunch).  I put an elastic band on the ring and wrap that around the keys, putting a twist at the end so that it can loop back over the end of the keys to secure them.  Then pop them in my back pocket.  They never cut through the pocket. 

I used to have an issue with the elastic banded up keys knocking against my iPop Nano in the pocket until I worked out that I can put the band around the iPod a couple of times and put the keys under the band.  Again, they don't jangle and don't wear through the pocket.

When the elastic band wears out, which it will, you're bound too find another red Postie band near your front door to use.

• I have an armband for sticking my iPod in that has a pocket big enough for a set of keys in. £5 from SportsDirect, still doing the job after a few months use.

You can also buy one for your shoes that straps on to the tongue but they don't look all that sturdy.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

When running from home I hide the key in the garden. When running in a race, if I can't leave my keys in a secure location, I keep them and banknotes, plastic cards etc in a small bumbag.

Top tip: wrap a bunch of keys in clingfilm to stop them jangling.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Racing with a friend...he looks after the key

racing on my own...special pants with zip up pocket

running at work, simply carry my 1 key.

• I either use a bum bag or I have a small wrist band from Decathlon that cost a couple of quid and is just big enough for keys.

• Sew up the pocket in your shorts put the keys in a bag, I use a small old cloth bag that a pair of head phones came in, put keys in bag wrap a rubberband round it all and your sorted. Please dont buy more kit.

• Mutley - where do live and where do you keep the family silver?  Clingfilm is a good idea.  Not as green as recycling Post Office red bands thoughimage

• A lot of good suggestions- thank you all. I will hunt down an elastic band, some cling film and keep my eyes open for a cloth bag. 

I was lucky that recently I bought 2 boxes of SIS gels and got a free marathon belt, except that when the delivery arrived it had a free box of 10 marathon belts, so I will put the cling filmed, banded keys in another one of them, and hopefully that will solve that.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just out of interest John, what's with the "keys" talk. Can't you just seperate them out and have the 1 key you need at any time on you, and the rest stashed in a safe place?

If running from home, only need 1 house key, if anywhere else, just your car key surely?

A massive stash of keys is unnecessary

• Stevie G , I wish it was that simple, but I live in a block of flats- two locks on the outside door and one for the flat door.

• If your shorts have a drawstring then slide the keys to the bottom of the drawstring and tie it, then they will just stay in place.
  • I tie my key to my shoe laces. I unlace them a bit slip the key on and relace, so even if they come undone the key doesn't come off.  If I'm racing I leave my house keys in the car and then just have one key to worry about.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That sounds a fair bit more awkward Johnny...and no place to hide the keys either!

pocket in your shorts, with the keys tightly bound up as per some other guy earlier then...

• I safety pin mine into my pocket. This stops me worrying about losing them, and prevents them jangling around.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I live in a block of flats and have 2 keys for 1 door and 1 key for another.  I put the 3 keys on a key ring and run with the 3 keys in my hand.  It's absolutely fine.

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

I also live in a block of flats, which requires 2 keys to enter, so I have a set of just the 2 keys which I call my running keys, put them in a key ring (just the ring with nothing else). I made sure I got one that fits my finger, and slip them on my finger with the keys in my palms, and run holding on to them and they will not accidentally fall out of the palms, and they will not accidentally be 'thrown' during running.

Good luck!

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    My Nike shorts have a small zip pocket at the back - perfect for keys!
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Oh I also have an spi belt which I put my iPhone in but could just as easily be used for keys. It's brilliant and you don't notice you are wearing it at all.

http://www.spibelt.com/spibelt.php

I got the waterproof one - I wear it over my shorts but under my shirt so it can't be seen.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Just out of interest John, what's with the "keys" talk. Can't you just seperate them out and have the 1 key you need at any time on you, and the rest stashed in a safe place?

If running from home, only need 1 house key, if anywhere else, just your car key surely?

A massive stash of keys is unnecessary

I too need three keys to get into my flat.  I use a small waist bag, which also holds my phone in case of emergency.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

In training, SIS Marathon bag, mine's a few years old now, emergency toilet roll, phone, keys and on a long run a couple of quid for a bottle of pop. In a race, car key safety pinned to the inside of the little pocket inside my race shorts.

• I usually keep them secreted up my anus.
  • i was thinking the same as stevie G.......I hadn't thought about people needing d=several keys for flats ... thats a right pain...........could not run with then in my hand though.......i always have shorts with a zipped back pocket which will fit phone and key and money....

• DangerousGavin wrote (see)
    I usually keep them secreted up my anus.

That could be dangerous Gavin.  Ah ........

• depends what else you have secreted up there

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

definatley in your knickers if they are big enough-if not tie them onto the preyy bow on the sides of your thing..voila

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

If you type "car keys" into the search box at the top of this page, you will find this subject has been discussed countless times.

It's not as if the forum is overrun with novel new questions about running. Assuming your tone is that you don't think the OP should have asked the question - why not just ignore the post? The thread title was clear image

To the OP - the search engine on here is crap which is a shame as there's a lot of good content in the archives. If you are trying to search for something, go to Google and do something like this carry keys +site:runnersworld.co.uk

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

colin, even though its been discussed we still just like answering with silly and genuine answers..so there