Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• On Run Britian stuff, ARC are a splinter group and sanctions events seperately but as they are not UKA approved, insured and measured so are not included, which is annoying even if I can see why.  Some park runs count for PB's, but the ones with greater than 10% off road don't as they are deemed multi-terrain and multi-terrain races have different rules (esp regaurding measuring).  It seems to me reasonably well thought through, although I didn't get my yateley times as it is an ARC event.

Oscarr, thank you for posting it has reminded me to enjoy the good times more

Bo, calm...run with no watch and smile

RR are you going to the trials? I have tickets for Sunday

• Hi all,  been reading all your post over the last few days, but not made enough time to post!   It is so good the support us runners have given to Oscarr and I am sure these tough times have been made a bit more bearable for him because of our support. 

SB, glad its not just me who keeps looking at rankings on Runbritain, I am trying to get to single digit score soon!!

Oscarr/SB, I am driving up on Saturday and I am staying in Ambleside.  I will register before I check in at the hotel.  I have a slight concern, got a slight calf strain so no running for me at the mo just ice and light stretching and self massaging.  I think I over did my calf stretch after my 12 miles on Sunday, I hope it will be OK in time for the marathon. 

Oscarr have you booked somewhere to stay yet ?

FH

• Choisty wrote (see)

Thanks Choisty, RR, Bo, Ten and (Mrs Eloquent)Sleepy - something else to think about - never leave anything un-said with your partner; if there is friction then sort it before bedtime and if you are thinking how great they are then SAY it.  Linda and i had a long time to say everything we wanted to say to each other many times over and in fact became closer over the last 2 years than ever before but i know folk who have not been so fortunate with partners who go suddenly and i feel for them that they have to deal with the question "did we both know?".  The other thing is that saying is not the only way to express love - some find it hard to express themselves but actions speak as loud (sometimes louder) and can show the other how much you care.

• Funny Hat wrote (see)

Oscarr have you booked somewhere to stay yet ?

FH - thanks again for your texts and support - i will say again that i have been blown away with the strength of relationships that have been built up over this forum which has really surprised and pleased me no end.

Not booked the room yet - may try this afternoon although i do have a nice car rug!!!

• oscarr wrote (see)
    Choisty wrote (see)

Thanks Choisty, RR, Bo, Ten and (Mrs Eloquent)Sleepy - something else to think about - never leave anything un-said with your partner; if there is friction then sort it before bedtime and if you are thinking how great they are then SAY it.  Linda and i had a long time to say everything we wanted to say to each other many times over and in fact became closer over the last 2 years than ever before but i know folk who have not been so fortunate with partners who go suddenly and i feel for them that they have to deal with the question "did we both know?".  The other thing is that saying is not the only way to express love - some find it hard to express themselves but actions speak as loud (sometimes louder) and can show the other how much you care.

Thanks Oscarr, good to be reminded.

FH

• oscarr wrote (see)
    Choisty wrote (see)

Thanks Oscarr, good to be reminded.  Not sure you sleep in the car, take a tent !

FH

• hee hee FH - brilliant - let us know when you get it!  That'll be a fantastic milestone.  One day, I too hope to reach those lofty heights - it could be sometime ... image

All I can this afternoon is ... oucheeee - sore glutes - not sure if from running or from gardening but I suspect the latter! Garden is nearly under control though in readiness for our next move.  Finally making progress with a house we're buying - long saga involving architect certificate politics but hurrah - circumnavigation almost complete!! What a palava - will soon have a "base camp" which we can call home.  Will tell more when we get completion date - hopefully soon yippeee dooodah

• SB, good news on the home front, hope it goes as you hope. Which base are you at now ? My friend is Pardre at at Henslow.

I had to miss my first race of the year tonight (boo!). Was due to run a 5 miler but didn't want to risk making my calf worse. Keeping everything crossed it will be ok for Coniston or I will not be happy.

FH
  • Morning

Oh no FH - how's it doing today?

We're in Lincolnshire at the moment - don't want to be any more specific on an open forum (sorry).

It's truly torrential here so, new waterproof or not, I shall be doing a hill session on the treadmill today : 20 minutes of 500m at 3%, 500m recovery jog with warm up and cool down. My butt and hamstrings are both a bit tight today - hopefully they'll ease off once I get going.

Anyone seen WW or MWW lately?  Hope theyr're both ok ...

• Rain is torrential here too. I did the Warrington 10k last night 41:36 (no official result yet) not a chip timed race. Considering doing another 10k Sunday but not sure if 3 10k races in 2 weeks is a good idea. Thoughts??
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    SB: good luck on the move!!! It's hammering down here too. Got to my back door at about 5:00, looked outside and decided to go back to bed... Gonna try for an 8 this evening. Not run since Sunday so feeling heavy and lazy at the moment... image Garmin is in the post back to them for a replacement...
  • If you feel ok - go for it! Its the sort of thing I'd do. At worst it'll turn into a tempo session if you can't get yourself going.  If I've remembered rightly you're right at the start of your prep so your Sunday mileage is probably still pretty low anyway??

Very jealous of your times image

• Ye that's right Sposed to be a slow 10 miles this weekend but not worried about the mileage now. I'll see how I feel.

Not very good to not run to plan in the 1st week though. haha. Also had a very boozy weekend in the Isle of Man so suprised with my time last night. image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I ran six miles easy yesterday, and a further six today including four at tempo pace.  No problem with the groin, though I shall revise my plan regarding hills and intervals to be on the safe side.

• Afternoon team, shed a tear and a smile at your comments Oscar. All the best to you. I have a similar philosophy of not going to bed at peace with OH and the kids.  Enjoy the Lakes. Wish I could be there. Work been a problem here looking for more work and even started setting up a website last night to offer running and fitness training as with all the books I have read and RW know alot now........still eating so must not grumble. Great running going on here well done to all.  Up to 17 miles this week and ticking over before upping the training for GNR..
    Hope the weather picks up got soaked in the shorts this morning doing a 3.5 cross country hilly run.
    Love is like the measles, we all have to go through it.

• I have just got home after a day at the races, Ascot ! Got to hit the hay, perhaps I have had one too many !!!!!!!

FH

Ps not used to all day drinking !
  • MORNING! or should that be sssssssssshhhh morning for FH's head)

How are we all today?

Just been having a mooch round the rest of the forum - it does make me laugh - there are some obsessives to the point of ridiculousness out there.  As for the snipeyness - they wonder why more people don't join in - really! 

I did come across something about a  new online editor - does that mean Alice has left?  Does anyone know?  What a shame if she has - I thought she was lovely when we met her at bootcamp and ok the forum has had a few glitches lately but I bet she was doing her best to keep on top of them.

Yoga for me.  Abandoned my momentary thought of only running 5 days a week and back to 6 but mostly doing less than an hour (except LSR) so I feel like I'm doing less anyway - for now - looks like sessions start building up a bit next week wooohoo.

Naughtiness last night in the form of a chinese takeaway but slept really well last night compared to the previous two nights.  Wonder if I've not been eating quite enough and waking up at 4ish is me being a bit peckish - hmmmm - will have to experiment a bit!

Sorry to hear of your woes mcs - hope things pick up soon for you!  2 things for you think about if you want to go down the training/coaching route: liability insurance and REPs (<cite>www.exerciseregister.org/)</cite>.  Perfect job for you though me thinks - I can see you now out on the trails...

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

mcs - I can identify.  I haven't had steady work for over two years now.  It's hard to remain optimistic, but things will get better - I hope!  I'm studying with the OU to help retain focus and expand my skillset.  Running helps keep my head clear.  

I like your idea of combining hobby and work.  I'd do the same... but I wouldn't be able to keep up with the running speed of average clients image.

• I'm alive.....just ! 

I remember now why I dont drink anymore, well apart from yesterday.  Pimms is a great drink, but too many makes FH have a bad head in the morning.  Anyway, it was a good day out and I had 2 winners which ment I came home with some money.

My calf is on the mend, been on the Ibuprofen and self massage/stretch/ice, I hope to run with a heal raiser in shoe Monday or Tuesday.  Just hope its OK for Coni .

Luke, good time on your 10k, well done!

FH

• I hope Alice hasn't gone she was ace.

I have not had an evening meal this week, with the desired effect of losing a kilo in weight (I had put on 4kg since Paris).

I also completed the club handicap in rather muddy conditions 2nd on time and about 16th on position, shouldn't of listened to others and gone with studs...doh!

I've thought about the coaching/training/website malarcky myself but prefer the safety of work (plus I do enjoy it) but MCS if you ever need a hand with something I might be able to help...my training plans are legendary! I'm also a qualified coach

Ten, the OU is a wonderful institution, I did my MBA with them and then a bit of tutoring, never did get my elbow patches though!

• Body is a bit sore this morning - did 4 rounds of golf in a day yesterday !! (yes, FOUR rounds) - its the Longest Day Golf Challenge orgainsed by Macmillan Cancer Support as a fundraiser - set off at 04:30 and walked off the 72nd green at 8:10pm.  Enjoyed the day and we have raised a lot of money for a great cause, very dear to me as you can imagine.  We did it at my local club and there were over 400 teams (of 4 golfers) up and down the country doing it on the same day. Needless to say we got very wet at times !!

mcs - feel for you on the job front and really do hope that something good comes up for you - reckon with the determination you show with your running that you will get there.

Ten - same applies for you on the job front - hope something good comes up and keep trying 

• Great work Oscarr, well impressed!  You must of walked over 12 miles ?

FH

• FH - more like 20 miles! reckon that's equivalent to a 4 mile training run - anyone else agree?

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    The OU rules!!!

Hope your heads OK FH.

And totally agree Oscarr, more like 5 thoughimage
  • Bo, heads is back to normal, but I could do with a fry-up !

Oscarr, 20 miles of walking or were you in a golf buggy ?   Did you book somewhere to stay in the Lakes ?

FH

• FH - walked the whole way - must book that hotel sometime!!

• Just thought I'd stick my head in and say hello! Glad everyone seems to be well! Seems a long time since bootcamp .. And seeing the Paris pics!! image
  • Not stopped raining since May it feels like here. 20 miles run so far this week in the rain........

it is not only fine feathers that make fine birds.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hello RRR!!! Glad to see you about. I'm not doing Endure24 any more. Realised that I would be doing this while my nipper had his birthday party.... Bum.

Oscarr: get on it and book. 20 mile walk: brilliant. But involving golf... Not so sure...

Choisty and folks: I really hope she's not gone either. Lovely person and great host throughout the Paris gig. She might be getting hitched though!

Ten/mcs: keep your heads up guys. It's a total nightmare when work is unreliable. Got figures crossed for you. I can't recommend the OU enough, commited myself to post grad study for my new job and the Psychology course I did with them was brilliant.

Just got another 6 miles done today. So might make 26 miles this week and back into heavier training next week. Only problem is going to be 12 hour plus a day to make sure I don't leave a load of crap for my work mates to deal with when I leave....
  • Ok so I guess I'm going to be the anomaly of the group who doesn't PB as she builds up LOL - slowest 5k of the year today but.... it is windy ... honest!  Don't really care today - I was running uncomfortably hard all the way so I can't ask anymore of myself than that - can't seem to focus on anything other than the marathon - nothing else matters: it's all just training.  When I need to go faster than I can currently I'm going to saw Ben's legs off.  (Just waiting to see if he broke the course record today - he thinks he did - it's his first time running that course - harumph image)

Everyone else seems to be doing ok - hurrah!  How's your training coming along RRR - did you drop your mileage to start your new programme in the end?

Very much looking forward to my LSR tomorrow - will be my longest since the Durness half (mid-May) and I'm taking my new shiny waterproof out to play woohooo.  18k of daydreaming bliss yeeeehaaa