Chocolate Milk

I have heard chocolate milk mentioned on numerous occasions over the past few weeks as a recovery drink. Does the chocolate add anything to drinking normal milk (not a big chocolate fan so would prefer just the milk.....but it may be the chocolate part that provides the recovery properties....I dunno!) And are there any particular brands that people use that aren't full of rubbish?

Comments

• The chocolate is just for the carbs,sugars.
  • YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    I alternate between Frijj and Nesquick.... The Frijj is ready made, the Nesquick I make myself from powder....

If I'm honest, I have no idea if it actually works, but seeing as how I'm increasing my mileage and training for a marathon, I figured it was worth a go. It also tastes niceimage
  • YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    I also alternate with the Frijj strawberry and vanilla flavours....
  • The theory is that it has the right balance of carbs, protein and liquid to make it the ideal recovery drink, and it's easy to get down your neck if you don't feel like solid food. I don't think the chocolate-ness is crucial - as Madlot says, it's the added carbs that make it better than plain milk, so I guess other flavoured milk would probably do the trick. I'm a fan of Nesquik myself (because I'm a cheapskate) and I use the chocolate one because there's less in the way of flavouring and colouring (just cocoa powder) than the others.

• Ok, thanks for the info! I feel like I'm likely to drown trying to drink friji but I love strawberry nesquick. Might try some chocolate too if there is slightly less crap in it!
  • .....I do have regular cocoa powder in the cupboard though, would that work or does that contain different amounts of carbs etc to nesquick?
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Cocoa powder doesn't dissolve in cold milk though, does it??

It goes very well in hot milk though.  This is what you want to start the day - chocolate porridge.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/377966_10150472628839595_1520289563_n.jpg

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    I crave chocolate milk after a long run! Any excuse.
  • That looks like......erm.......well......chocolate porridge!

how do you make it?
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Oats + milk + hot chocolate powder + brown sugar + salt.  It's addictive though. I haven't had normal porridge for months.

• Sounds delicious, and I'm not even that keen on chocolate! I guess you could make it in the microwave? (im thinking for making it at work....)
  • I don't like any kind of milk shake, but I loooove hot chocolate - so that's what I have after a run (any excuse!)

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

It's just magic.  I got for Frijj or home made Nesquik choc milk after my long run, or if I'm feeling virtuous a home made smoothie with bananas and berries.  Just the perfect recovery drink. I don't know why.  I would strongly counsel against the Frijj chocolate brownie milkshake, which I bought by mistake a few weeks ago and is the work of the devil

• I have poor mans slimfast. Asda's own brand after a run. Its packed full of protein and carbs etc Works for me and for 4£ a week much cheaper than alternatives image Plus mixed with milk is pretty pleasant (Choc is not sure bout rest)

• Pretty unanimous on brand then!

I'm presuming the kind of milk matters too.... Skimmed, semi, full fat?
  • Lil.Lil. ✭✭✭

Every single morning I have porridge -

Porridge Oats / Almond Milk & 1 tsp NUTELLA.

Its so yummy.

After a long run I image a cold choc Yazoo

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)

Cocoa powder doesn't dissolve in cold milk though, does it??

It goes very well in hot milk though.  This is what you want to start the day - chocolate porridge.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/377966_10150472628839595_1520289563_n.jpg

I thought that was a bowl of minced beef image

Semi-skimmed milk with any flavour milkshake powder added will work. As would making a smoothie with milk and fruit. You want around 50-75g of carbohydrates in the 30-45 minutes post-exercise (ideally), and adding protein increases muscle glycogen re-synthesis and also stimulates muscle repair and adaptations. A ratio of around 4 to 1 carbs to protein (so 12-18g protein to go along with the 50-75g of carbs). 

Having it in fluid form also helps to rehydrate - if you can manage solids/prefer them, then just eat a carb/protein snack, but make sure you have a drink along with it. And ideally have it as soon as you can after training/competition for optimum benefit image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    sarah the bookworm wrote (see)
    And ideally have it as soon as you can after training/competition for optimum benefit image

I find a good exercise for practising balance control is a quad stretch straight after a run, using one hand to press your heel towards your glute and the other to eat a banana.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Do you peel the banana before or after starting the stretch? image

There was a guy in the gym yesterday - he was spinning round and round for about a minute with his eyes shut, then he stopped and dropped straight into a squat. Very strange. 

• Thanks Sarah, was secretly hoping you might pop along with the science!
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I appear to have a reputation...

• Wasn't there something in the press recently about the milk itself having something in it that helped with muscle soreness and recovery, or is that just down to the protein/carb ratios?

Edited to add, a quick google came up with this study: http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/H08-057

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Use the FRIJJ milk to make up your instant microwaved porridge, run for 3 hours, and finish off the rest of the FRIJJ when you get home. SIMPLES!

• I usually neck a full pint of milk after my long runs. Semi skimmed or the 1% stuff. Usually drink full skimmed but don't fancy it after a run - it's just a bit too insubstantial. Don't know about the scientific explanations etc but to me milk feels like a great recovery drink. Sometimes add nesquik but suspect that may just be satisfying greedy sugar cravings rather than specifically helping with anything.

I like Asda's own brand choc fudge milk in little bottles for putting in my drop bags to get me round longer events. 50p a bottle and a comfortingly gloopy consistency. Yum!

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

The combination of protein and carbohydrates does have an effect on the uptake of nutrients into the cells - so adding a bit of Nesquik to milk isn't just about feeding cravings - it does actually do some good if you want to optimise the replenishment of muscle glycogen stores image

If you're exercising to lose weight, then it's another matter...

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Just off to have a glass of chocolate milk. image

I wonder if Cadburys Dairy Milk has the same effect. image

• sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

The combination of protein and carbohydrates does have an effect on the uptake of nutrients into the cells - so adding a bit of Nesquik to milk isn't just about feeding cravings - it does actually do some good if you want to optimise the replenishment of muscle glycogen stores image

So far, so good...

sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

If you're exercising to lose weight, then it's another matter...

Damn!

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    camillia sinensis assamica mouse wrote (see)

I wonder if Cadburys Dairy Milk has the same effect. image

Hmm... I wonder if I could convince Cadburys to give me the funding to do the research? image They could pay me in chocolate... image