Comrades 2012 winner test positive for illegal substance

E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/news/comrades-champ-stripped-of-title/

I saw this on another website but thought i'd bring it over. Do you think partially the reason for wanting to dope is the large prize money (like the sum being offered at comrades)? Or what's your take on it?

Comments

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I would have to agree such is the size of prize money in sport it is human nature in some to try and circumnavigate the rules and seek to gain an advantage.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

always a shame when something like that happens, as generally the drugs cheats are already exceptionally talented, it's just they need that little additional illegal help to push them up a level.

Look how many 100m world record holders have since been done for drugs, even Linford Christie was done at the end of his career after a couple of let offs.

Completely ruins their achievements before hand.

The dodgiest world record that hasn't been officially discredited has to be

Wang Junxia's 29:31 for 10k in 1993....

A world record that has seen any woman get close to in almost 20years?

Very dodgy, as was the whole regime under the Chinese Women's coach at the time

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I think I started a thread on the women's running world records being questionable, apart from our Paula's marathon of course. There's a couple of others but several which meet the WTF category.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yeah we leave Paula's one untouched even though noones even come close to that one since image

The best ones are where you have people who've been caught for doping, yet they haven't even beaten the record...makes those records seem interesting..

• Have Flo Jo's records and the women's 400 & 800m records been 'officially discredited'?  I mean, we all know, yet nobody's getting stripped of titles in the way they seem to want to with Lance Armstrong.

Seb Coe had the 800m WR for over 16 years, nobody got close (apart from that Cuban guy I suppose).  Just sayin'...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's the problem with drugs in athletics Cheerful Dave, they cast suspicion over everyone, even the clean types.

You seem to hear a lot more drug busts in the sprints then in say, the marathon. Maybe this is just due to the sprints being more high profile, or maybe because even if you cheat at marathon distance, you still have to be doing 140miles a week training!

Just on unbeatable records...that Wang Chinese woman still holds the 3k record from 1993...and noone has got within 15secs.

15seconds over less than 2miles..incredible....incredibly dodgy. That's a hell of a margin