GPS watches or apps on your phone?

2»

Comments

• I use run keeper on iPhone and it has been very useful - you can set up coaching, get updates on average/split pace etc, and it syncs with web account without the fussy stick. The web account it very nicely laid as well, whereas the garmin training centre in comparison is awkward. Also, when you have an iPhone the app is free or peanuts, proper garmin costs hundreds. However, as mentioned above, it's not very easy to have 'live' pace feedback on a phone, a bit fiddly to look at it (tough if you touch the screen it will give your stats in voiceover), I have to wear a separate heart monitor and finally I sometimes I feel a bit uneasy about having my iPhone on display. However, I will not switch to GPS garmin until:
    - it works with run keeper web account
    - 610 gets a bit cheaper
    If that happens, a 610 with a small nano/shuttle is a great combo
  • Garmin Training Centre is God Awful indeed (only use it for uploading programmes to my Phone). However, Garmin Connect is HUGELY better and I find this (and Fetch) ideal for uploading. I think I am about to stop using Run Keeper's website as it basically just makes things up - times, calories etc and transfers some of the data inaccurately from my Garmin as it seems to "re-process". No other site does this.

Have used RunKeeper for ages but now about to give up on it I think.. A pity. My Garmin 305 integrates absolutely fine into RunKeeper web account.
  • when they make a rain proof iphone, i'll switch back again.
  • They both have their place and i use both.

Quite a few do interval training too, whoever was asking. Cardio trainer can if you pay extra, adidas mi coach can for free.

Smartphone is bulky, must prefer a garmin for a race
  • Some great answers there - many thanks. It`s obviously a subject more of us will be assessing. From some of the responses I can tell that it is also the level of awareness people have about the apps. There are a couple out now which are further improved [voice cues, more functionality, etc.]which people may not be aware of and some of the comments reflected that they weren`t aware of the latest ones. It does seem though that at the moment the practicalities of the phone on a run are a hinderance, battery life and concerns about it`s water resilience. Also the GPS may not be as accurate. It`s just that the price discrepancy is so huge, people buying for the first time are bound to try an app to see how well they get along with it. Having said that, what is the point of busting a gut to improve your 10k time by 20 or 30 seconds if the device measures inaccurately? I actually have route I do which I have a pretty good idea how far it is but I do know if I get around 10 seconds quicker then I have a new PB and it`s distance doesn`t matter. Pacing is useful there though.
    Still interested in thoughts. Thanks.
  • Watch everytime for me. I used Runkeeper when I first had a smartphone and was very disappointed. The accuracy wasn't great and it only actually worked 60% of the time. Compare that to 99.9% of the time to my Timex Bodylink and the latter is a clear winner. The Timex is old hat now but gives me all I need. I don't pay much attention to pace as I run to heart rate and don't understand the need for all the stats people bang on about. I'm happy to manually load my runs to a log (the Timex data recorder was rubbish and it's software some of the worst I've used for anything).

So, in summary, keep it simple and use the device most fit for task.
  • Do any of the running apps auto-post an update to Facebook?

I have just acquired a wahoo dongle to pull data from my Forerunner 310XT and the associated wahoo iphone app will post the data to quite a few websites for running apps, but I would like one of those websites then to post any uploaded activities to Facebook. This is because I am about to start a walk/run holiday on Offa's Dyke and the Ceredigion coastal trail and I would like to send my daily progress automatically to Facebook without necessary remembering to manually do a status update. Thanks

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I own and love my iPhone.  But i'm now also the proud owner of a Garmin 610, and it's so much easier.

I don't have to worry that it's accidentally turned off, going to receive a call from work whist i'm running, etc...

The watch just does it's job.  When I start out I have to make sure i'm sweaty to get the HRM working properly as once i've had it really low for half a k until i sweat enough for it to work sensibly, and once it's done the opposite and shown my hr as 210 for the first half km, but once i warm up a bit it's perfect.  These two are both down to me probably not getting the connection damp in the first place.

I set the home screen to have what i want and for a straight forward run it's soo easy i just start, and glance down at it when I want.  Job Done 

No arm strap, or bumbag, or anything like that it's just simple it is daft, but I feel like i've got a little more freedom with my watch it's just me going out and keeping track.  When I use my phone I still feel tethered to the world :0

Steph

• In case anyone is wondering, here is a video on how to use the wahoo dongle to transfer data from a 310 or 610 etc without the intermediary of a computer. This lets you keep data uploaded (and backed up) while away from a computer for a period (or if you want to do almost all the Garmin stuff without being dependent on a computer). It's just the final step of an automatic update to fb I was interested in.

• Runkeeper auto posts to facebook and twitter
  • Thanks. Runkeeper the app might, but I can't see that runkeeper the website does. I want to keep using my 310 because it'll last a lot longer on a charge and is more accurate, then upload the run from it without a pc and post to fb. I have found out that www.mapmyfitness.com will autopost to fb.