Options

Don't Quite Get 'Maximum Pace'

Hey all

I am reading all about 'maximum pace' and 'perceieved effort' regarding interval training and really don't get it.

I'm a 1:55 1/2 marathon, 50min 10k-er at the mo and want better times.

My 'Maximum Pace' is ??????  Obviously I can belt hell-for-lether at a quick 4/min mile for about 20secs - not sure if this counts though.

So I really could do with someone pointing me to a good site/page, or giving a clear  idea of what I need to do to calculate my pace.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Macmillan running calculator recommends training pace based on race times.
  • Options

Easy pace: 10:30/mile

Long Tempo pace (50-60mins): 9:08/mile

Tempo Pace (20 min runs): 8:33/mile

Interval pace (5x1k) 4:54 per 1k

• Options

I've always believed that maximum pace in any interval session should be the speed that you can sustain consistently over the session, i.e. even splits.  Surely, if you do that, you've performed the session to 100%.

Ross, not sure about that as it depends on the level and ability of the runner.  Some will have slower paces for those types of runs/sessions, some will be faster.

• Options

Thomas,

Yes, that's how it works, but those times are accurate based off a 1:55 pb in the HM.

• Options

Sounding good folks - thanks.

Buddhafinger - Macmillan running calculator?

• Options
  • Options

Ross, I see now.  Sorry about that.  Didn't realise what you'd based those times on.

• Options

Quick question, and this seems as good a place as any. When using Macmillan running calculator, which time for distance is it better to use? If, using the example above, you plug in 50 mins for 10k you get faster training paces than if you put in 1:55 for half marathon.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I'd analyse the times for the individual, use a bit of common sense and go from there.  The 10k time is obviously stronger than the HM time, maybe because you're less well trained for the longer distance, or the HM was just a slower course.  Use the 10k time for working out paces, and maybe be a little more flexible with the paces it tells you for the longer, slower sessions like easy runs - especially as McMillan suggests easy run paces that are a little quick IMO (about 30s / mile I'd say).  Alternatively the faster time may be out of date, since which time you've lost fitness, so just use the time which is a more accurate representation of where you are at the moment.