Preston Guild Marathon

Comments

• thanks for the tip 9 i will look that up. And thanks too Max for giving me some ideas to think about, in regards to running around there. There are plenty of hills where i live, but you cant beat a run up the pike hey!!

CCSH, sounds annoying but there is a good while to the race, so fingers crossed they will get back to you soon.

• Did my 1st ever marathon in April and have been undecided whether to go for my 2nd but have finally signed up for this one....already feeling daunted again!

• Just signed up for this one too feelin a bit nervous already. Ive decided to follow the FIRST (3plus2) programe for various reasons, Has anyone tried it? if so feedback on it would be good cheers!

Rich

• WonaWona ✭✭✭

im thinking about this one,,sounds good..i personally think its a great idea to have lots of out in the sticks miles (as someone called it)  nothing worse than town centres and cities if there are cars or waiting to move cars in the area (engines running etc).

• WonaWona ✭✭✭

im doing the Chester 3 weeks earlier,so hopefully ill be recovered enough for this.

• WonaWona ✭✭✭

And this is Traffic free.! excellent.!

• Good luck for Chester Wona, looks a nice race! Yea I'm quite happy with the look of the route, although I imagine it's quite a bit harder than Brighton..... still looking forward to it!

• Sorry to join this late but only just seen it - I've heard some bitching in my time but PETE you need to wind it in mate, what are you on?!!

Why don't we save Brian a job and do a 1-mile loop so you can see your mummy 26 times on the day?!

Countryside is far better than the usual derelict industrial shite sections!  

• Pieced the last bit of the wheel into place today. Went from by the car garages on the docks up the Dock Road over the bridge and down onto the canal through Cottam and to Lightfoot Lane. We have now done the whole of the Guild Wheel image but not yet all at once image but I'm sure we will. At 21 miles it is an excellent route for a long training run for any marathon, mainly off road and traffic free with hills and undualtions. Still needs some signage in places but that is improving and by the time of the official opening I'm sure the council will have it right. An excellent facility and a great legacy for the 2012 Guild.

• I managed about 17-18 miles yesterday longest run since last October nearly killed me but never mind all good training looking a bit forward to this now. JC the loop sounds great I must try it sometime I live in Hesketh bank and do all long runs up A49 and around Burscough but I have to say after 12 years of marathoning it is getting a bit tedious. Hows everyone elses training going.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Hi.  I'm not local, being from the south nowadays, but may be up in the area on the day of the half-marathon and marathon.  Thus I was thinking of doing the half.  I was interested in how hard it was.  The mapmyrun profile for the full marathon shows a total ascent of 83m which is very flat indeed and suggests the half is flat too.

Is that right?  I'd love to do the half, as I'd love to do a Preston Guild event.  When I was young the expression "once every Preston Guild" was common even quite a long way from Preston.

• Nurse G, good run, you must be happy to get that distance in this early.  I've done a couple of 10 milers in the last couple of weeks and I'm happy to be running 30 miles a week now.

Planning on increasing long runs gradually up to 20 miles at the end of August. giving me a couple more months to do another couple of 20 milers.

I'll be happy with a sub 4 marathon, anyone else looking at running that sort of time?

• If only pp those days are gone for me I'm afraid I just hope to get round. I am finding it difficult to keep motivated I think it's my age.
  • About time I joined this thread I think, rather than just reading it.  After all, I've lived in Preston for the last 40 years, cycled the course with official measurer Brian Porter earlier in the year and will be running the marathon itself in October. 

• Welcome TM, I've run parts of the course out towards Lea, but haven't gone out to Treales.  Is it relatively flat out there or ae there a few inclines?

• Thanks PP.... it's predominantly flat out there  - just a couple of little dips and rises to contend with.  Nothing is steep really - you'll just go a little slower, but nothing is going to leave you gasping for breath particularly.

• thanks for that,  I'm sure I'll be running the whole of the course from Lea school back to Lea school at some point in the next couple of months.

• This event will be huge, Phil Walsh and his team have put a great event together. On a serious note, there will be dozens and dozens of charities represented at this event, if you have not signed up yet may I suggest contacting HelpforHeroes britains fastest growing charity and raise funds for our wounded military personel in the many Worldwide conflicts. Contact HelpforHeroes on their web site and donate online through justgiving, I'm sure they will appreciate it.

• I'm out of this unfortunately, due to other commitments image

• Well, after starting this thread over 6 months ago, I`m finally in!

I had a break for a week or two after 6 months of decent training which culminated in racing a hilly half, a hilly 10k, a hilly fell race and winning a very low key FLAT 5k! Had a few niggle and now I`m back training more and about to start my 16 week schedule for Preston! Hope I can make it as I still have a worry in the back of my mind about sore knees which appear during long runs. We`ll see. Gonna be fun, and hard graft!

• 13 miles for me today it was hotter than I expected still better than nothing lets hope it continues. Welcome back ET
  • soo we are on the count down to the marathon now hey 16 weeks to go...

Activity on here seems to be picking up which is good and when i was out runnign on Sunday, there was a very noticable increase in the number of runners about the place.

Hows everybody going on here? Any one signed up to that Guild Wheel run, im tempted for training purposes, but only if quite a few people are running otherwise it might be worth it he he

• You say "signed up to the guild wheel run" is there an official race or is it the training people are talking about on here.
  • There is a offical run thingy being done on it :

http://www.prestonguild2012.com/?OBH=413&ID=882

And thats what i was referring too, sorry folks

• Starting to look forward to the Preston marathon. I did 12 miles this Saturday and am running the Lytham windmill half on Sunday to see where I am in terms of fitness and time. This will be only my second mararthon and I want to finish in under 4hrs so I'll be running round the preston wheel a few times between now and October.

• Hello,

I'm interested in doing this and wondered if there is an official time limit on the event for the marathon? I am pretty slow, so just wondered what sort of time I'd need to be looking at....

Thank you in advance. image

• No problem 9, was just wondering if any one had signed up to it at all and what peoples thoughts were about it.

Hi Vixx76, i dont think there is a time limit on this run and as they dont ask you for a time est. i doubt there is. This is the office link :

http://www.prestonguild2012.com/marathon

Hi Vince, 12 miles with 16 weeks to go, you should make it under 4hrs esp if your following some sort of program. What is the Windmill HM like or have you not done it before ?

• Hi SJPC14, I have not done the Lytham half before. Apparently it used to be a regular fixture years ago but it is a while since it has been an event. I got instructions tonight and it looks well organised so can't wait. It looks like it is along the coast for most of the race so should be good.