Achilles tendon and drugs...

Hi,

Had an achilles problem for a while now, so after trying to fix it myself (and probably making it worse) I tried going to one of the medicine men employed by the NHS.

Despite the fact that I'm with BUPA, I was expecting to be reffered to a physio, he spoke to we (even touched my feet!) and then offered me drugs!

Anyway, I'm on Naproxen twice a day for two weeks, its an anti-inflammatory and the idea is that it'll bring down the swelling and I'll be fit in no time.

My questions are.. has anyone else been on this and does anyone know if it'll work? Personally never heard of medicine fixing an achilles problem, but i'm at least hoping that my sore neck, from all the extra cycling i'm doing to compensate for the lack of running, will get better!

Comments

• Yes I had it bad, and it still flares up if I I dont stretch post run. I Stopped it going cronic by using this book for post runs of all kinds. I use dynamic stretching before races,

I had it in both ankles. Now though it only happens in one and as long as I do the stretches i am fine.

You see if your calves are weak then all the strain is taken by your achilles and they are not built for that. Thats why running is a slow conditioning process as you build the support structure for all those stresses. I did not have strong calves and my right one was the weakest now its much stronger.

Go see a physio off your own back. Specifically a sports one as not only is it fixable without drugs its really the only way.

• Hi,

I'm assuming this is an Achilles tendonopathy?

If so, and you've had it a while, I'm a bit surprised by their choice of treatment. In Achilles tendonopathy there may be some inflammation in the acute stages but when it's more chronic it's usually more a case of structural change in the tendon. It becomes gradually less efficient at dealing with load and causes pain when placed under any stress. That said this process can be resolved if treated early enough.

The first stage is an "unloading" of the tendon - you reduce the stress on it through modifying or reducing activities that aggravate it. Part of this is also working out why it has become overloaded in the first place. This may be due to muscle weakness/ tightness, biomechanics, poor movement control, footwear etc etc.

Once symptoms have settled you then "reload" the tendon to build it's strength again. This is where things like "heel drops" come in. Alongside this you address the causes and hopefully it resolves all together!

More info on Achilles Tendinopathy here;

http://runningphysio.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/achilles-tendinopathy/

And NSAIDs (like Naproxen) here;

http://runningphysio.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/anti-inflammatory-medication-and-sport/

Hope that helps

Tom
  • Tom Goom wrote (see)

The first stage is an "unloading" of the tendon - you reduce the stress on it through modifying or reducing activities that aggravate it. Part of this is also working out why it has become overloaded in the first place. This may be due to muscle weakness/ tightness, biomechanics, poor movement control, footwear etc etc.
    Once symptoms have settled you then "reload" the tendon to build it's strength again. This is where things like "heel drops" come in. 

In my case it was in part caused by the most stupid ass pair of shoes I could have bought to start running in.

Please people spend that money!

That and the fact I hadnt run for 24 yearsimage

• Well, its a chronic problem brought on over time, i've rested it and tried building up the calve etc. but its still not got better (although it has improved). I could probably run on it now, but i want it better rather then just muddling through. I thought i'd be sent straight to a physio, espicially if i've got medical cover, but he insisted on trying the medication first (we even had a little arguement about it), but as its only two weeks, i thought i'd give it a go... thanks for all of the advice, I think even if it improves i might see a physio, just to try and prevent it from happening again.

• If anyone mentions cortisone injections. Say you will think about it and dont go back.

Just look it upimage

• had shock wave therapy on my right achilles , happy with outcome

• sometimes it can be due to attached muscles as here

http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoints/tibialis-pos.htm

they may need stretching, massage or strengthening.

• Naproxen is very good, but unless you have a cast iron constitution, will not feel good if you take it on an empty stomach.

I've had it for a Groin strain, but I would never take the recommended dose, I did it with a half dose and felt good, and certainly never for more than a few days, I was given enough to last a month!

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

You argued the point and he still wouldn't offer a letter of referral for BUPA treatment?

Don't go back to that particular quack.  Achilles is for life, get the best progressive course of treatment you can.  Get off the drugs as the painkilling part might make you think you can do more than you really can, plus they f$%k up your gut something stupid.  Can't be much help for recovery having your required nutrients going straight through you...